Builds Project 76 FJ40: What have I got myself into !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

( which to me is is still a very capable vehicle in its own right)
It’s no FJ40 or a land cruiser and all that heritage, but it is a very capable step child

Oh, I agree that the FJC is capable, I just wish Toyoda-san did not name it the FJ Cruiser. It irks me when people say "Nice FJ" when they see my Pig. Almost as much as when they say "Nice jeep".
Perhaps they should have called it the Toyota Capable...

😄 think my first move will be to try to get the top off
Break open that first case of PB Blaster and start hitting all the little bolts that hold the top to the body. Probably 30 or so of them all around the top. Don't miss the 2 in the door posts. You'll probably break most of them off anyway.

Break open that first case of PB Blaster and start hitting all the little bolts that hold the top to the body. Probably 30 or so of them all around the top. Don't miss the 2 in the door posts. You'll probably break most of them off anyway.
If I had a dollar for every sheared off bolt that I have noticed on this vehicle 🙄. Working in the aircraft industry, that is one of my pet peeves, when people take power tools to bolts, screws that don’t need to be removed with power tools. Some times they are necessary, but most of the time it needs just gentle persuasion.

Man this is going to be fun and exhausting for y’all, but you probably already knew that. I am NO expert, but I’ve owned many Cruisers and Yotas in general. We literally just took delivery on our 2nd 40, but first one to restore. I plan to have my 10yr old son help a lot. Our body is fairly crusty too, but solid frame. Most major panels can be replaced. Most of the advice here I agree with so I won’t just repeat everyone. The advice I liked the best was, take it one piece at a time so you don’t get bored or maybe I’m speaking to myself. Lol. As for the wiring, I’m with the person that said take the junk out one piece at a time and see where that leaves you. I wasn’t probably helpful, but there it is. Looking forward to seeing progress pics!! -Daniel Kent

Hurry up and get to work........ I need something new to look at during ‘normal life exile’!!! :hillbilly: :cheers:

Man this is going to be fun and exhausting for y’all, but you probably already knew that. I am NO expert, but I’ve owned many Cruisers and Yotas in general. We literally just took delivery on our 2nd 40, but first one to restore. I plan to have my 10yr old son help a lot. Our body is fairly crusty too, but solid frame. Most major panels can be replaced. Most of the advice here I agree with so I won’t just repeat everyone. The advice I liked the best was, take it one piece at a time so you don’t get bored or maybe I’m speaking to myself. Lol. As for the wiring, I’m with the person that said take the junk out one piece at a time and see where that leaves you. I wasn’t probably helpful, but there it is. Looking forward to seeing progress pics!! -Daniel Kent

Have fun with it. If you need any help with your 1976 wiring harness feel free to reach out. I’ve restored a 1975 and 1976 harnesses over past few months.

You guys are awesome! Thank you for all the encouraging words. My project has temporarily stalled, since I am in negotiations with a builder to get my shop built. The shop will give me the much needed room to be able to tear down this vehicle to the bones and give it the attention it deserves. I have been following several builds on here. Such amazing restorations going on. In the meantime I reorganizing my current garage to see if I can make room for the 40 in there. You should see some pics soon.

Welcome to the club!!

What are your goals? I would start there.

Only you can access if it is too big of a bite. It may be better to start with something easier. My two cents is that this is a 2-3 year project even for an experienced guy. That being said... The best way to learn is to jump in, so if you want to learn and spend some quality time with your son, you have a great project!

We are all here to help. Let us know how we can help!!

MM

The goal is to have a running vehicle which is mechanically sound. I am not going for show quality restoration here. But at the same time I am a bit of a Toyota fanatic so I would like to keep things as original as feasibility possible. I do plan on doing some upgrades along the way where ever possible , for instance the PO abandoned the tank under the passenger seat and installed a Jeep tank instead. Which lead to him installing a different fuel access. Not very thrilled about that. But I intent on going back to the stock location with the fuel tank, except I would like to upgrade to the long range America gas tank instead. With so many better aftermarket upgrades available out there, if it not cost prohibitive I would like to incorporate that into the build.
I do expect this to be a 3-4 year project. Currently I am trying to prevent the itch to just accumulating parts as they come available on the classifieds etc, which has been my tendency in the past, when I used to work on restoring and modifying motorcycles.

Btw, @Vexvader , your build has been very inspiring. I have been reading through your build and it has been on my watch list. awesome job or getting your son involved and teaching him to weld, what a great skill for him to have 👍

My Toyota barn - necessary!
100_0814.JPG

subscribing... I called the PO to look at this one while it was for sale in Raleigh but chicken'ed out. It was more of a project than I cared for at this time. Ended up getting a LX470. Looking forward to seeing some progress on the 40 (and shop)... Good luck!!

subscribing... I called the PO to look at this one while it was for sale in Raleigh but chicken'ed out. It was more of a project than I cared for at this time. Ended up getting a LX470. Looking forward to seeing some progress on the 40 (and shop)... Good luck!!
I think you dodged a bullet on this one ;) . But in all seriousness, looking at several of the builds on this forum and stuff that they have brought back to life, this is really not that bad. The limitations are purely mine. But every build that I read gives me a little more confidence that this is doable. Still blown away by the knowledge on this forum!! Absolutely incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom