Builds Project 76 FJ40: What have I got myself into !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think over time I took miles of extra wiring out of my 40! I would bet you would lose a ton of wiring just by removing those horns and the wiring that goes with them!!

Do you have more pics further away?

I took the bull by the horns and yanked out the fire hazard wiring out of my 1976 Colombian FJ40. Bought a used 1976 CA spec harness on MUD and went through it inch by inch, terminal by terminal and repaired it. I bought all the wiring supplies from @Coolerman via his wiring store. I just finished bench testing and preparing to install it. I’ll document the install process and post it to my thread here.

A8F70E01-7832-47E0-8E4E-7367871433D4.jpeg

:popcorn: ..... YOU are a braver man than me!
Look forward to following you n junior’s work :cheers:

I took the bull by the horns and yanked out the fire hazard wiring out of my 1976 Colombian FJ40. Bought a used 1976 CA spec harness on MUD and went through it inch by inch, terminal by terminal and repaired it. I bought all the wiring supplies from @Coolerman via his wiring store. I just finished bench testing and preparing to install it. I’ll document the install process and post it to my thread here.

View attachment 2224807
I have been watching your build progress, impressive work! I hope I have the patience and attention to detail as you have.

I think over time I took miles of extra wiring out of my 40! I would bet you would lose a ton of wiring just by removing those horns and the wiring that goes with them!!

Do you have more pics further away?
I will take some more detailed pics this morning. And post them here.
You don’t like the Mooooo horn? 😄 that is the main attraction in my FJ!!

76 was the first year for front disc brakes. Your master cylinder is not stock though.
I also have a 76 FJ40. It’s a great truck been lots of fun. You may be able to salvage/repair your harness. Just start removing one extra piece at a time until all the extra stuff is gone.
What month of build was your FJ? I remember reading that 76 was the first year when the rear disc brakes were introduced. And the year after got both front and rear disk brakes. Maybe I am confused on that. I was going by the description on the sale by the OP that said that the front disc brake conversion was done after the fact. My vehicle has a 2/76 build stamped on it.

What month of build was your FJ? I remember reading that 76 was the first year when the rear disc brakes were introduced. And the year after got both front and rear disk brakes. Maybe I am confused on that. I was going by the description on the sale by the OP tha said that the front disc brake conversion was done after the fact. My vehicle has a 2/76 build stamped on it.
76 disc brake only in front. My 40 1/76 build

76 disc brake only in front. My 40 1/76 build
Oops, that’s says a lot about my attention to description. You are both right the front disk is stock and the rear is an addition. ( which explains a lot actually) the rear disc conversion look a little backyard-ish. I was surprised that the brackets for the calipers came that way from Toyota. 😳

Last edited:
This should be titled the ‘where does the red wire go?’ thread! :eek:

Please, stop calling it an FJ. It's a 40, or an FJ40, or a real LandCruiser. Just not an FJ...
Sorry I am not familiar with the vernacular on this forum. It took me a while to figure out what a ‘dizzy’ meant 🙄
To the purists, I suppose an FJ would mean I am referring to the FJ cruiser? ( which to me is is still a very capable vehicle in its own right)
It’s no FJ40 or a land cruiser and all that heritage, but it is a very capable step child

834CF814-0374-49A4-BD63-08E0B527AC69.jpeg

Good looking rig. How many miles?

I'd inspect every inch of that frame first, it may be rust scale or some type of coating but you need to figure that out.

Agreed! Currently working on a logistical constraint. The 40 won’t fit in my garage as is. I thought once I took off the rack it would fit but , no luck there. Since I live in the world of HOA, I can’t start tearing into the frame where it sits on my drive way. 🙄 I have plans for a shop that will need to be approved by the board yada..yada and then once the shop is in place then the tear down begins..
for now it is more of a guessing game and trying to source the obvious parts, like the tub doors and now, harness.. A frame may be in the list too but for now I am keeping fingers crossed that maybe I can salvage the stock frame. Time will tell.
Obviously if a good frame comes up for sale at a decent price I will not pass up on that either.

Title :

What have I got myself into?,

I would first inspect the complete scope of works to be done on this vehicle and estimate parts and ext works pricing to correct and restore the vehicle to your liking,

If it all adds up to weird high amounts, keep or sell this one as parts vehicle and buy another one

Title :

What have I got myself into?,

I would first inspect the complete scope of works to be done on this vehicle and estimate parts and ext works pricing to correct and restore the vehicle to your liking,

If it all adds up to weird high amounts, keep or sell this one as parts vehicle and buy another one
Parting it out is not an option at the moment. Cos I can’t have a rolling chassis sitting around. It would have to be a full sale or just take the beating and go with what I have. Of course that will change once the shop is complete. Not to mention I like the challenge. But at what point is it a point of no return.. 😄 think my first move will be to try to get the top off and get the vehicle in the garage to start taking things apart to truly assess the hit. And then start picking apart the harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom