Project 20RE: Junkyard fuel injection with TBI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got kinda confused with this, but if they dont need it, then sweet!

The orange goes to the fuel pump, then the oil pressure sensor, then two spots on the ecm. the spots are both for 12v.
colorstange.jpg

this is exactly what I was looking for!!

how do you think it'd run a cam'd hybrid 20/22r?

Once you tune it, just perfect! I've been messing around with mine a little, doing preference tweaks. Props to josh for getting a saaaweeeeet starting point for me and future users! :beer:

One of my favorite parts is the ability to program the computer to put the idle up when the AC wire is switched positive. Flip a switch, idle goes to 1500 and you play clutch/brake for some of the technical climbs... That and the fact that it beats the living hell out of my weber :flipoff2:

this is exactly what I was looking for!!

how do you think it'd run a cam'd hybrid 20/22r?

Just fine, as long as you don't have too radical of a cam that might screw with the vacuum, but even then you can tweak the ECM to compensate for that.

My next motor will be a 20/22R Cam'd Hybrid, so if you wait long enough, I might have the tuning done by then. ;)

Once you tune it, just perfect! I've been messing around with mine a little, doing preference tweaks. Props to josh for getting a saaaweeeeet starting point for me and future users! :beer:

One of my favorite parts is the ability to program the computer to put the idle up when the AC wire is switched positive. Flip a switch, idle goes to 1500 and you play clutch/brake for some of the technical climbs... That and the fact that it beats the living hell out of my weber :flipoff2:

Glad to hear yours is still working out, and once you get your BIN file the way you like it, send it my way so I can try it. :D

I plan on hooking that AC wire to my in cab winch power switch one day.

Josh, just want to say thanks for writing this up. I'm contemplating an EFI swap with all Toy parts since I got 'em, but it's nice to know I have options. Your '79 is way cool, BTW. I had an '80 a long time ago, best mini I ever owned ... :( I still have a 20R head and brand new header, never got around to using the stuff but would if I could find another running 20R or even cheap/free 20R short block. They're scarce around here for some reason ... thanks again.

Not sure why you'd want a 20R long block, but try and find a Corona if you can...

They pick truck parts clean like roaches on cheese when you turn the lights off at the yard by my house, but they didn't think to check for cars... :D

And hey, Landon... 1st your link made me sign in, then it said "This video either has been removed from Facebook or is not visible due to privacy settings."

Might I suggest Youtube next time? THX.

This is so sick... I've been dreaming of a way to get a 20R head on a RTE...

So much butter in this thread... Thanks, Josh.

I need to go find a kleenex now...

YouTube - ‪tbi1‬‎
YouTube - ‪22RTBI2‬‎

Those are both old. The one under the hood was before I got the idle right.
I noticed that their is alot of tuning per individual unit. Josh's original .bin file idled extremely high on my motor, and after much research i noticed the IAC settings needed tuned per my specific TB.
But once you change one thing, you must change ALOT more. Now, after my idles right I have a condition called "throttle following". Its when you engine should return to idle normally, but instead it slowly CRAWLS back to an idle. I've worked most of mine out, but im still messing with it.

I have to admit- driving around with a laptop in your passenger seat and knowing EXACTLY what your engine is doing is now my favorite part about this. Makes you feel professional or something...

newb to TBI...please help

I'm preparing to start a 2.5 TBI conversion on my 22R. Previously ran a Webber, but I'm looking to build my own turbo set up...this is what led me to a TB?I conversion and this deffinetly seems like the group that I need to to talk to, please help with any and all suggestions.

Thanks! :beer:

Im not very intimate with the 2.5's, nor a turbo setup... However, the ease of this TBI swap + resources makes it saawweeeet! I would recomend going with a 2.8 TB as it will have more fuel delivery... Although, if you were to get creative... Go with a Honda FI setup. Most tuneable, usable software IM(limited)O.

I'm preparing to start a 2.5 TBI conversion on my 22R. Previously ran a Webber, but I'm looking to build my own turbo set up...this is what led me to a TB?I conversion and this deffinetly seems like the group that I need to to talk to, please help with any and all suggestions.

Thanks! :beer:

Here's all I know about 2.5 + turbo TBI:
Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 22r to tbi?

Go with a Honda FI setup. Most tuneable, usable software IM(limited)O.

Oh yeah, which years/cars does that come off of?

For reference on fuel economy-

My worst tank has been 14 MPG, my best around 22 MPG. I regularly see 17-18 MPG.
I am running a slightly tweaked version of Josh's original .bin file on a 22R with a header and 2.25" exhaust. I have 5.29's in the axle and 37 Goodyears on Double Beadlock steel rims. My average is maintained on a 75% Highway (45-55mph speed limits with occasional stoplight) and 25% bumper to bumper when I get towards the university. I drive around 40 miles per day. My worst tank is 75MPH I-71 driving, with lots of long slow hills. Best tank is the 45-55mph all day thing.

Hope that will answer any questions on the fuel consumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom