Project 1975 FJ40 restromod V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Absolutely no negativity intended in my post. Simply pointing out the fact that you are asking questions that have been answerd all over mud. If doing a soa using stock springs anything less than a 35" tire will look silly. If using lifted springs you can fit 40". Again if you spell out what your goals are you will get much better advice. What is your intended use, what size tires would you like, how much on road driving vs off-road, what type of off-road trails. Once you have thought about those questions the rest will fall into place with some use of the search function. The biggest difference between jeeps is that most people in the fj40 are looking for a stock like look with maybe small lifts. The market is smaller and so less parts are available for bigger lifts like the jeep aftermarket is geared towards. If looking for 35 inch tires and 4" or more of lift visit the hardcore section as there is also a ton of info there

Okay.. on the first point. Im not going to read every thread before I ask something...and I doubt anyone had/has done an LT 6.2 conversion..if so point it out and I will follow them. My question on the lift is almost made up. Has anyone known of or installed a Coolcrusier suspension, the 4 inch "HFS Extreme"? if so any feedback? Im looking at there PS kit and there "High Steering Kit" going with JT Outfitters Front and rear Disk brake Kit Hear is a photo of the Frame in the paint booth

123_1 (1)ccc.jpg

123_1ssss.jpg

Please research front disk brake conversions before you buy a 'kit". The criticality of this safety system cannot be overstated.

Converting from drum to disk in the front is best done with OEM parts from a 76 or later LC front axle or Mini-truck front axle. Its not a difficult conversion and you are using a design from Toyota rather than bracketry designed by a non automotive engineer (assuming it was designed by an engineer).

Please research front disk brake conversions before you buy a 'kit". The criticality of this safety system cannot be overstated.

Converting from drum to disk in the front is best done with OEM parts from a 76 or later LC front axle or Mini-truck front axle. Its not a difficult conversion and you are using a design from Toyota rather than bracketry designed by a non automotive engineer (assuming it was designed by an engineer).
I agree with this. The JT kit only adapts a caliper and rotor to the coarse spline drum brake componets and birfields. You say you want to run 35's with a big motor. If you plan on wheeling it, you'll eventually want to run alloy axles and birfields, after you break several drum brake birfields. Alloy birfs only are available for oem disc brake frt ends. So, then you will need to adapt OEM Land Cruiser disc's on it anyways.

I agree with this. The JT kit only adapts a caliper and rotor to the coarse spline drum brake componets and birfields. You say you want to run 35's with a big motor. If you plan on wheeling it, you'll eventually want to run alloy axles and birfields, after you break several drum brake birfields. Alloy birfs only are available for oem disc brake frt ends. So, then you will need to adapt OEM Land Cruiser disc's on it anyways.

Wow !! Makes sense I will look into doing this, Do the 76 LC and newer Disbrake kit (if you will) "work/fit" only for the front or the back as well? and we are talking mini truck LC only or will the larger series LC vehicles work as well? if so what is the largest dis and rotor LC that will fit? thanks for the info gentlemen.

Wow !! Makes sense I will look into doing this, Do the 76 LC and newer Disbrake kit (if you will) "work/fit" only for the front or the back as well? and we are talking mini truck LC only or will the larger series LC vehicles work as well? if so what is the largest dis and rotor LC that will fit? thanks for the info gentlemen.
What I mentioned only pertains to the frt end. Theres so much info on this subject, its best to start in the FAQs at the top of this 40 series section. Go to FAQs, scroll down to frt ends. Look at steering knuckle 101, lockout 101,'and some of the links below those. Also at the top of FAQs, go to the highlighted technical links. Also search.

Last edited:
I did the conversion using a LC 70 1990 GCC spec parts. Needed small modifications. But I think going with late model 40 or 60 series will be without modifying anything.

E9F9BAD9-82B4-457E-9F52-08F2D4F62BAC.jpeg

234865CD-3D42-4142-85FB-9D286B5198D7.jpeg

C93CC3B9-DD4F-4658-A06D-D967B7DF7478.jpeg

4280FF85-777D-43A2-9BEC-7EC5A2F7DC1B.jpeg

By the way I’m also building a restomod ( 80% ) done. My 40 1979 does have LS1 5.7 with original 4 speed + extended PS when I bought it but the Restomod costed till now 13000 $ . I’m planing to add the A/C ( already ordered one ) + the dynamat/Dynaliner ( already have ) + custom cluster ( ordered ) & the upholstery to complete the project . Suspension kit will be later and I think OME 2” is the one to go with.

thanks for all the info guys on the brakes...Im going to decide when I get the lift kit I ordered ( a 2-inch OME lift,) be here in about a month......also order a new 3rd member front and back and ARB lockers front and back as well, from East Coast Gear Supplies in NC....until then I'm working on the body Had the tub Line X and the fenders. took the good down to bare metal and now blocking it. and fixing the low spots.

image0 (1).jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

image1 (2).jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

It's been a while and I have gotten a lot done. Paint-Done Parts for drive train- done Suspension was going to put it on but the company sent me the wrong parts ....so Im waiting on the right parts to come in. Axles have a new 3rd member and ARB lockers, new disk brakes, and a power steering kit. Here are some photos!

image0 (4).jpeg

image1 (5).jpeg

image2 (4).jpeg

image3 (3).jpeg

image8.jpeg

That rear shackle angle does not seem right.

It's been a while and I have gotten a lot done. Paint-Done Parts for drive train- done Suspension was going to put it on but the company sent me the wrong parts ....so Im waiting on the right parts to come in. Axles have a new 3rd member and ARB lockers, new disk brakes, and a power steering kit. Here are some photos!

View attachment 2489769

View attachment 2489770

View attachment 2489771

View attachment 2489772

View attachment 2489773

Your build looks good and you seem to be flying along. If your going to wheel it, I hope you installed some rvc or longfield alloy frt axles and aisin hubs with the hardened gear in the lockout. Stk birfields and a locked frt end won't play nice together.

Last edited:
I have AISIN Hubs and new axles Not sure what kind but I remember they were at least twice as strong > it will be plenty for the trails Im going on. If i can not crawl over it I will winch it over. Got the shocks sorted out and put on today rears lights and bumperettes and rear trailer hitch

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

I do not know this is what the instructions said to do, maybe it's because theirs not weight in it.....
It's got no weight on it, I wouldn't worry until the body is on and you've got a couple of thousand miles on it for the springs to settle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom