Project 1975 FJ40 restromod V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Best to keep it here so all the mud experts can help you .

Agreed.....I bought the engine stand and figured out the power steering kit and box I need I will get that in there and then worry about the flaming river steering column

Well got the engine and what a beast !! although I'm taking the transmission and transfer case off it looks great. Was told I will need a few accessory kits for the power steering.
IMG_0929.jpg
IMG_0929.jpg
IMG_0931.jpg

Got the body off of the fame tonight and the engine out..I am tired,,,next Sat is the dustless blasting of the frame and underbody !! Body guy is coming over every day and work on one panel at a time, can not wait!

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

If you want power steering and discs, try to find a 60 series to grab the front axle and steering box from. Both are great swaps for the 40.

Im looking a 1975 Camaro caliper and 1500 6 lug disks I was told this will work.....I will do more research but if it does this is a cheap what to go...

What is your purpose for this rig? What are you using it for when done? That plays a big roll on what parts to put on it.

This will be for going on back road pass in Utah, and Colo and going on 4 wd trips. I'm a big off-roader, I do not like mud but I love rocks like Moab. I have a good Idea what I want just do not know the part that will work. Getting this new engine "hooked up" and running will be the biggest challenge

This will be for going on back road pass in Utah, and Colo and going on 4 wd trips. I'm a big off-roader, I do not like mud but I love rocks like Moab. I have a good Idea what I want just do not know the part that will work. Getting this new engine "hooked up" and running will be the biggest challenge
You may want to consider stretching it to a fj43, that will allow you to run quite a bit longer wheel base but still look very cool. For axles I would recommend either fj60 or fj80 axles depending on how wide you want the track width. Fj80 axles will be strongest.

Like this...
ChFHil5U0AAWWsI.jpeg

After all this work ...go get another FJ and start all over? no thanks...this will be great for what I'm doing with it. If I was seriously doing off-roading in the rocks I would have gotten a Ram Power Wagon with some really heavy-duty axles...But I like the coolness of the FJ40

Love it...following. I'm working on 6.0 sm465/np205 swap right now. I have a cheap centered rear out of a Tacoma to get it rolling and am looking for an fj62 front.

I like your stage for the truck and am excited to see what you do. Keep it up!

After all this work ...go get another FJ and start all over? no thanks...this will be great for what I'm doing with it. If I was seriously doing off-roading in the rocks I would have gotten a Ram Power Wagon with some really heavy-duty axles...But I like the coolness of the FJ40
No not start over, that's not what I meant. Since you have the body off and the frame bare it would be easy to cut and stretch to the longer fj43 length. Just an idea. Would give more wheelbase and interior room. You would just need to remove the fj40 half tub and replace with a fj43 half tub. Then stretch the frame.

It there a book or a website that can show me what Size bolt and nut and will show me when each one goes, everywhere on the 1975 FJ40? I ordered a Chassis and body repair manual on amazon will be here in a few days but not sure this is going to have what I need. I broke many bolts and cut off many bolts and would love to look at where and what size goes where...LOL otherwise this could be a long restromod...Thanks

No not start over, that's not what I meant. Since you have the body off and the frame bare it would be easy to cut and stretch to the longer fj43 length. Just an idea. Would give more wheelbase and interior room. You would just need to remove the fj40 half tub and replace with a fj43 half tub. Then stretch the frame.

I see what you are saying, and no I am happy with the size and room inside. In fact, I'm not putting seats in the back..It's just me and my daughter going on drives.

and update......the blasters did a good job..miss a couple of parts i.e. fenders..LOL but I will take them too them Wed. and all will be good.. enjoy the work we finished at 1am I was beat

IMG_1033 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1039 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1048 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1049 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1054 - Copy.jpg

Line X the TUB and inside the fender wells next week and then the other parts i.e. doors, fenders and Tub will all be in primer and ready for paint, then put the tub on the frame with new mounts and figure out where the engine will set, then take the tub back off and mount the engine and new NV4500 with a new Atlas 4:1 man the money is rolling out of the account.

Love it...following. I'm working on 6.0 sm465/np205 swap right now. I have a cheap centered rear out of a Tacoma to get it rolling and am looking for an fj62 front.

I like your stage for the truck and am excited to see what you do. Keep it up!

Thank you just posted some more photos

I need help....I want to get a 4-inch OME lift kit to clear 35-inch tires. The fenders have been cut by the previous owner and fender flares installed..I removed them because they were in bad shape...but my question is will the 2.5 inch lift with the fenders cut allow me to put 35 inch tires? or does anyone know of a good riding 4 inch lift for the FJ40? thanks

@OFF MAP great build. Love how you are getting at it. Love the backyard shop. Your wife must be a keeper!!! I am in Dallas. Would love to stop by with my boys. We are cruiserheads. I will PM you my cell number so we can connect. We are Covid-19 free🤣.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom