Project 1975 FJ40 restromod V8 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. To introduce myself. Don in Dallas. I have own over 10 new Jeeps Wranglers fix them all up and every time I saw an FJ40 on the trail, no matter how nice my" rig" was...I was a little jealous and could never put my finger on it. I never knew anything about the FJ40, how it was built, any comparisons to the jeep in regards to the strength of stock axles etc. I just like the look. One day I was driving on a back road of a side street and seen a FJ40 peeking over a car next to it and stop in, call the owner asked him if he would like to sell the FJ40..he said only if I was going to do something with it. I assured him it would not collect dust. A deal was made ( if I told you you would not believe me and if you did you would be mad) trailered it home and built a carport to work on it and here I am. I know nothing about doing this. I do want to put a 4-inch old man emu lift, new 34 in BFG's and wheels, it has a 327 V8 ( I know not crazy about this) However since it's not original I am going to take some liberties that might offend some. It has a 4 speed with the OEM transfer case PTO with factor Ramsey Winch. I am selling this all, transmission transfer case and winch if anyone is interested. I am going with a NV4500 and a atlas transfer case. The FJ has very little rust and the patina looks very good. I have a painter to come by and look at the cost to repaint it and will decide from there. I have already taken the roof apart and front end now Im going to take the body off the frame this week end and have it blasted and primed for black paint body and frame. My plans are dis brakes, lockers, and new interior in addition to the above items.
IMG_0496.jpg
61384678622__A0D2B2B2-B065-4A2B-96BE-0F8FEFD5CE06.JPG
61384680202__4598FC9B-0F9D-46D4-8A23-1DBA1410E66C.JPG
61384681772__91832302-3AFC-4228-B495-CD88A9A70CCF.JPG

Welcome, that's a GREAT find!

Welcome, that's a GREAT find!
Thank you Texas FJ all its life. I will post more photos as work progresses ....Im pulling the engine, has not run in 10 years. Looking for a shop in Dallas that can take it apart and give it a "once over"

Congrats on your find and start on your restromod! The color and patina of yours reminded me of when I first picked mine up. And mine was twelve years ago! Nice how your patina has kept! Good Luck on your build!

Good luck with the project. Any grease monkey worth his salt should be able to work on the 327. My 350/383 has a holley 4 barrel but will be getting a fuel injection of some flavor for the reliability. I think I have rebuilt my last 4 barrel carb. Many of people now days can't drive a stick, theft avoidance. Are you keeping it the same color?

Larry in El Paso

I would keep the red patina, otherwise it just looks like every other modified 40.

Welcome to Mud!

If I was smart I would keep it the patina color for several reasons 1) cost 2) only original once 3) worrying about the paint when off-roading.
2532.png
If I change the color it might be to a "tank green" jeep color or one of the off white pearl colors of the mini cooper.

Last edited:
If I change the color it might be to a "tank green" jeep color...
I guess it'll take a while to get the jeep out of your system, lol 😄

I guess it'll take a while to get the jeep out of your system, lol 😄

Yes it will I am very happy with the condition of this FJ I think in the end it will be better than the Jeep More cooler for sure. On a side note, I am for sure painting the rig. I have not decided which paint color, but the painter I met with today made me a deal to paint it and all the bodywork I could not refuse. All the work will done in my back yard except that actual painting of the FJ

The fiberglass top is off to Goode's out in Rowlett for paint and some small glass work and then they will attach all the rivets in the top and side panels...does not look like fun :( for them

61420994587__8A6168BE-D443-46FE-B286-8A190F13FB01.JPG

Update....the front end is off and the V8 327 is going to go....I found a guy to rebuild it with all new insides for 3500.00 then I got on a site and found a 2018 LS 6.2 with 24,000 miles, computer, wiring harness, transmission, and transfer case for $3,800 so I bought it......not sure I will keep the transfer case wanting an Atlas 4 to1. Also I want power steering and am looking at the electric kit for the manual steering.....doing some research and will get back to you all. If anyone knows about it let me know. thanks! The power steering installed was estimated at $4,000.00 from a local shop $1000 of it was labor... which sounds like too much. I am for sure painting it a cool blue color..I do not plan on selling it so I'm going to make it mine, and the way I like and not to please everyone else. Every time I do this I end up selling my builds... Does anyone know someone in Dallas that can put disc brakes on this? and looking for some that can do the bearing job. I do not have the tools and do not have the inclination to learn.....I was supposed to have the engine separated from the body last week but one of the body mount bolts decided it want to stay with the FJ...so I am cutting it out this weekend and a buddy with a "cherry picker" is coming over to pull the engine. Next week I WILL have the frame blasted and the under tub blasted and off to LINE X ....hope all are doing well.

day 2 a.jpg

day 2.jpg

Is there a reason most people are going with 5.3 V8 swap over the LS 6.2? is there a size issue?

Is there a reason most people are going with 5.3 V8 swap over the LS 6.2? is there a size issue?

most people do the 5.3 because they can be bought for pennies and respond incredibly well to modifications. The 4.8/5.3 block is incredibly strong and can support 1000 boosted horsepower. Also, even n/a the stock heads flow very well and as such things like cams and intake manifolds make real change. I had a 5.3 swapped old pickup and gained 80 hp with a $400 cam/springs and $225 tune. Also can be built for boost and weigh less than the 6.2.

for a light rig like the FJ40, the all aluminum car LS engines would be ideal.LS1’s can finally be found at reasonable prices and weight a lot less than the truck boat anchors.

most people do the 5.3 because they can be bought for pennies and respond incredibly well to modifications. The 4.8/5.3 block is incredibly strong and can support 1000 boosted horsepower. Also, even n/a the stock heads flow very well and as such things like cams and intake manifolds make real change. I had a 5.3 swapped old pickup and gained 80 hp with a $400 cam/springs and $225 tune. Also can be built for boost and weigh less than the 6.2.

for a light rig like the FJ40, the all aluminum car LS engines would be ideal.LS1’s can finally be found at reasonable prices and weight a lot less than the truck boat anchors.

Thank you for the info.....I am excited when I have all the details on the tranny lets see if it can fit,,I was thinking it would be too long..

With the atlas you will need a centered rear axle , split case with 4:1 gear is a good option too

Thank you for that info Would you mind calling me? I really need some advice on this transmission and transfer case....and my fingers do not type as fast as I think..lol...I will take a call from anyone that known their way around these FJ40....I do not want this project to stall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom