Progressive rate coils and billet adjustable shocks for your 80? It may be possible. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think 2, 3 and 4" would be a good start. Right now I'm running OME 2.5"
Heavies front/medium rear
I have ARB front bumper (which soon), OPOR sliders and no 3rd row seats. I think the ride is a bit too firm. I'd like a progressive 3".

Ok guys, keep the comments and suggestions coming please. I need to know we have enough interest to build these and what to build.

What is "ideal"?

What do you like and not like about current offerings?

Can anyone post weights of their rigs in different configurations please?

Thanks
Matt

I like you are running the FOR gen II springs with the supplied shocks. I would think that the 3-3.5 inch range is ideal, that along with some decent shock options should be a winner.

Ok, I think I am going to start with a 3" coil. I am going to pickup a stock rig so I can have a good, clean baseline.

Once the stock truck weights, measurements and testing are done I will move on to a potential stage 2 coil/shock system.

I have a front and rear bumper ready to bolt on as well as a long ARB roof rack with floor so this should be a good mid to heavier point rig. I will have stock tires, 285's and 315's to run

The systems will be street, pothole, highway, back road, emergency lane change, panic stop, high speed offroad, several condition offroad and forklift flexed.

These springs are guaranteed to not have a "memory" as well so sagging will NOT be an issue with this product.

I'm interested also, been interested for a long time....... 3-4" would be my preference. Currently running Kings from down under but they are linear.. IMO progressive are better for articulation..

Interested! Currently running new Slee 4 in. heavies with old and beat OME L's. Our 80 is heavy and needs to get to the scales. But it's weight can vary as it has a 45 gallon aux tank and 45 gallons of diesel is a lot of weight. So it varys quite a bit and I've added airbags to compensate.

Last edited:
Seems like there would be a market for a closer to stock height set of springs for the thousands of FZJ80's that have sagging original springs but never go off-road.

Missed out on a few stock rigs! I haven't shopped for a cruiser in quite a while but I missed a white 96 LC with 150k miles for 5k, must have been locked!

I have never owned a non locked truck and figured why start now! So I am looking at 93-97's with up to 250k which is high for me, past rigs have been 140-180k...

My question is this:

For the 1" lift coils, all I plan to do is run those, whichever shock we decide to setup for it, and a fresh steering stabilizer.

I don't want to put all new bushings, ect and throw off testing numbers, a lot of guys out there are not doing front end rebuilds ect unless really needed... Do you guys feel this is true for the masses?

The 1" lift coil is going to be great with 285's or maybe a hair taller and skinnier depending on your rig uses.

Thanks
Matt

All the locked 80's near me were
1) Overpriced
2) beat to s***
I opted for an unlocked LX450 & added an Aussie rear for $200. If I decide to lock the front it'll be $1K. I saved $2K + got a lower mileage, cleaner rig going unlocked. If I add the front locker I'll be $950 in the black! Food for thought.

Any stock rig is not going to be shopping for progressive, you need to set your height right for the people who want and who will pay the extra. Guts around here are happy with the $100 each for 3-4 " untill you get to heavy. Now you have no options and guys want their gear and armour. Id say your starting with the wrong wieght im just about 8000 lbs and weighing my options right now.

Any stock rig is not going to be shopping for progressive, you need to set your height right for the people who want and who will pay the extra. Guts around here are happy with the $100 each for 3-4 " untill you get to heavy. Now you have no options and guys want their gear and armour. Id say your starting with the wrong wieght im just about 8000 lbs and weighing my options right now.
Wooooooah. 8K?????? That's by far the heaviest I've ever read someone being and 1,400+lbs over GVWR. I'd say you are the extreme rare and not where he should be starting, either. I'd think 3" lift, heavy front bumper, winch, sliders and 200+lbs extra would be a very good start. Seems that's the most common combo of the target audience for this product. You sure about that 8K lbs?

Well im not sure but im dressed for bear all the time . Fridge dual winches full rack rtt enough tools to fix almost anything rigging gear to get out of most situations spare parts and standard survival gear. As it is right now i get two years out of a full j spring s ettup with long travel shocks . This year i blew three shocks and busted a spring and everything else is completly toast. Most of the guys i ride with arent really much lighter when they gear up for a trip it seems. Im more saying that you dont really need progressive until you reach the top of the weight chain. Not really for the skinny cruisers.

I think 3" is a good height to start. I'd be interested as I need some new front springs because I am sagging badly under the weight of the bumper and winch. I think not sagging under the weight is a good idea, I think even better is a progressive coil that doesn't collapse the lower rate portion due to that extra weight. The general armor sceneries is ARB front with a winch, sliders of some flavor and maybe a rear bumper, so I think if you target a spring that hits in that circle then you will hit a large portion of the target audience.

Also 3" seems to be right around the upper limit before major castor corrections begin to be necessary.

I'd love to hear a cost on 2 inches. My one and only goal in suspension replacement it to make the rig soak up fire roads and washboard better, and a bit of lift to get the "look" better. 285s fit nicely stock, until i pack it to the gills and hook up the moto trailer. then they barely fit.

but, like i said, id be thrilled to get it to run washboards better with zero net lift.

I passed on a rig someone out there may want...

97 LC black/grey interior. Collectors edition. All original panels. Rough interior. No front driveshaft, radiator leaks, needs tires and brakes, no 3rd row seats. Ovearall body isn't bad. Miles shows 166k which is great, found receipt for brakes at 230k in glove box! Huh? Also reg expired may 2014. It's at a tow lot in Roseville, Ca and I got him down to $1800. It's on CL - Sacramento.

Last edited:
If I had a trailer with me I would have bought it for parts, it does NOT have lockers though... And its over 100 miles from me. The front diff fill plug was missing too but no noise from the diff, very odd!

Also has NO factory roof rack nor running boards! Cool truck!

Matt

Matt...PM'd you.

I have recently been toying around with the idea of dropping my lift height and going with a different shock, this is the exact idea I have been thinking of, progressive rate coils, I will admit I am more or less happy with my rs9000 shocks, but they're 36" extended and I won't have much compression left if I drop to 4" lift. So I would be interested in something capable of 32" or so extended length. Otherwise I will just go with the rs9000 in that flavor. But count me in for interest in the coils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom