Progressive rate coils and billet adjustable shocks for your 80? It may be possible. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd be interested in a 3" progressive spring and remote resevoir shocks. Stock truck with 295/75R16's soon to have front bumper, winch, sliders and a rear swing out rear bumper

I think everyone should step back and read this string from a distance and ask why all the guessing, what is needed is actual weightS. is it likely we could get several owners to weigh their rigs front and rear axle and lists mods?
I have found a few posts with actual weights and think guessing in your truck to spend dough on coils and shocks on that guess is crazy.
IMO.

Just getting ready to do a build on a 94. Bumpers, winch, sliders, loaded in back for a family of 4. I'm very interested in something progressive, 2-3" lift.

At the end of the day I truly and honestly have no idea what "progressive" springs mean to me. Are they cool with my gay brother? Are they hemp friendly? Kidding aside I keep hearing this term but I just don't get why I want/need it.

I currently have Slee's 4" med springs and I have no complaints. Is there better? Not that I've experienced and I test drove a lot of lifted trucks so that I could make, what I thought, was an informed desicion. Now the OME socks are s***. I just don't like them especially compared with every upgraded shock truck I've ridden in.

Actually, maybe I do have a slight complaint of the Slee but it's not on the Springs just on the model. My weighted down truck sits at the same height as @Qball 's 2" lifted OME setup. But he has nothing added. His truck is empty.

I have spares, gear and tools up the wazoo. I have front and rear armor and belly plates. Dual batteries and misc crap. Roof rack and RTT are in my future.

I'm committing to nothing but I am very curious in what you come up with because if it turns out well I can easily be swayed.

I'd love to see a "slinky" like coil available in the US!
I'm interested in the coils.
Me as well. A slinky coil for say 3.5-4" of lift that is nice and long and will stay put would be awesome. Nobody really has any on the market right now.

A progressive rate coil will get stiff as it's compressed further. This allows for a softer beginning to compression once loaded, assuming the proper weight carrying abilities. It also means it will unwind more during flex (unloading) and stay on the spring seats, not pop out like some do/can because of the nasty angle the coil is at and it's been fully unloaded.

There is a market for this type of coil, but for a matching shock as well I believe. Remember, for the most part, the coil is the "stupid" part and the shock is the brains. I think the valving can be matched to the weight selection of the coil, and length of course. From there it will be an adjustable piece with a clicker. This will allow you to fine tune it to suit your driving.

Custom valving can be a real pain for a lot of us... I can offer this as well but I don't know if it's worth it for 98% of us. Being able to buy a complete lift kit, having everything you need to install it in a day, especially for those guys who DD their rigs is very valuable IMO. Buying everything but shocks, then measuring them, having them charged, trying them out, changing your mind, pulling them off, shipping them back, hoping you will like the changes, ect... I think that is reserved for a select few? Opinions?

As far as the weights go... Yes, we do need more. I am still looking for a good, solid stock rig for a baseline. I am very picky when I buy and just haven't found the right one.

As of right now the initial plan is a 1" progressive to give a slight bump over stock, restore saggy trucks and make them ride like a "Lexus" should! At the same time, a 3" progressive. The 1" will most likely be done in just 1 or 2 weight capacities, one for stock and one for the expo rigs. The 3" will be offered in 3-4 weight ranges. Starting with something slightly heavier than stock all the way up to Fully built rigs.

Shock length is something else we are going to study closely. Does anyone have any input on any good or bad they see in current shock offerings for length, tunability, quality, cost, ect? Do you want to see bearing mounts anywhere or all bushings? Are there any ride quality issues you would like to see addressed? How are they on the street? Highway at 70mph? What about when you hit a huge expansion joint or hole, does it jar you like crazy, just soak up the bumps, get a little scary?

The more real world input we get here from you guys that actually drive these rigs, the better the final kits will turn out!

One more note... If anyone near me knows of a clean, 95-97 LC or LX (prefer locked) truck for sale let me know. I am looking as far north as Sacramento, out to reno, Nv and south to Fresno so I am willing to travel. Of course, when I wasn't in the market I found supercharged LX's for 6-7k and nice low mi trucks in the 3-5k range! Not much out there right now!

Thanks again for your input guys, more details to come!
Matt
MCB Offroad

If you opt for spherical bearing mounts I suggest, based upon the last 8-years of experience with same, to go with #12 size bearings. Otherwise #8 and #10 need to be purchased in bulk qty ;). I'm able to get 3-years out of my #12's...whereas #8s were 2X per year on the same rig/same terrain.

Although internal bypass style shocks bring their own downside to the party...and can be a beotch to set-up properly...they can be set-up for comfort/control on pavement as well as off-payment without the typical packaging issues (and noise) of external bypass systems.

I know: I am asking for the moon; but you asked :D

If you opt for spherical bearing mounts I suggest, based upon the last 8-years of experience with same, to go with #12 size bearings. Otherwise #8 and #10 need to be purchased in bulk qty ;). I'm able to get 3-years out of my #12's...whereas #8s were 2X per year on the same rig/same terrain.

Although internal bypass style shocks bring their own downside to the party...and can be a beotch to set-up properly...they can be set-up for comfort/control on pavement as well as off-payment without the typical packaging issues (and noise) of external bypass systems.

I know: I am asking for the moon; but you asked :D
Matt, i've been reading this thread with much interest. I just picked up a 96 LX450 and am about 2 week away from a lift and 315 ish tires. My opinion wiuld be a fox 2.0 ifp shock as I have been using and installing these along with BDS lift kits on various vehicles for years and all that have them love them. AS a bonous they are inexpensive and durable. I am unsure as to what springs from OME i would be buying. I would love to have another option for a high quality spring to give me 3" of lift.

You've brought this up at the right time for me - I'm on Slee 4" Heavy fronts & the progressive heavy rears - all armor in sig & weighs in ~5900-6300# - slighty more if I load down for something but pretty accurate.

I have the OME "L" on all corners - it doesn't flex like it should especially wearing the gear, the rear seems like it does all the work.

I'm already sold on different shocks to soften up "washboard" style bumps, as I don't think OME's move very quick. I'd yet to buy Slee / Fox / King though - or some combo of them. Beyond that I see some FR springs to let it flex on par with the work the rear seems to be covering currently.

Boots to dirt, where are you on this as having shocks?

Once my shocks are changed I can either move to Slee 4" normal load front springs or possibly another brand if there's a solid option.

Is this thread dead or did Matt come up with something? Anybody? Matt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom