Programming new keys? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my keys programmed! Huge relief! For some reason he wasn't able to program the key I had been using, so ill try that on my own when I get home in a few days from work. Also he didn't get the fob programmed so ill also try that when I'm back. Just glad I have 2 working masters instead of 1 valet! Woohoo!
Where did you source your key blanks? Did they include the fob? A master was cut that opens the glove box without having a copy of the master? I'm in the same situation, valet only key for my recently acquired 2000 LX 470. Ability to lock glovebox would be nice but not necessary. Remote fob is highly desirable unless I go with a remote start. It would be nice to have a key 1 and key 2 that functions as orginals would, adjust seats to driver 1 and 2 respectively. At least I think that's an option. Why is it so hard for car owners to hold on to a set of keys?!?! 🤣

Where did you source your key blanks? Did they include the fob? A master was cut that opens the glove box without having a copy of the master? I'm in the same situation, valet only key for my recently acquired 2000 LX 470. Ability to lock glovebox would be nice but not necessary. Remote fob is highly desirable unless I go with a remote start. It would be nice to have a key 1 and key 2 that functions as orginals would, adjust seats to driver 1 and 2 respectively. At least I think that's an option. Why is it so hard for car owners to hold on to a set of keys?!?! 🤣

I now have 4 keys, 1 that came with the vehicle, 2 I got from my local ace hardware and 1 I ordered on ebay. The key I got with the vehicle was cut as a master (meaning it opened all doors and the glove box, the blade was the correct 'master' cut) but the transponder was programmed as the valet key. If you don't have a key that will lock and unlock the glove box I am not sure that you can have one made, maybe by getting the key code information but having someone copy the current key will not help if it currently does not lock/unlock the glovebox. You can still program that key as a master though, I think the master cut and master programming are 2 different things. 2 of my new keys came with the button fobs, but for some reason I am not able to program them to work. The one I got from ace i believe is the wrong frequency as the sticker inside says rx300 or something. I think they ordered the wrong key, the immobilizer transponder must have been correct but the fob frequency I don't think is. i got that key free so I don't mind the fob not working. The key I got from ebay said it was the correct frequency but I also could not get the fob programmed. I contacted the seller and they told me it wasn't the right one, even though everything seemed to match up on my end and the ad said 2001 lx470. I was able to program it to start the car but thats it. I was going to send it back but it was only $20 and I had already got it cut. Its also one of the newer style flip out rectangular keys, which I wanted, so I kept it and put the original key fob unit into that key, which still worked to lock and unlock the doors. The seller steered me to a new lexus oem key and told me I needed that one. Not sure why they think I need that one and theirs won't program when lots of other people have done it. The lexus key is $70 and the seller doesn't accept returns, so I have been reluctant to buy it and see if it works. I don't need 5 keys, especially if I can't program the fobs. So for now, 4 keys that start the car with 1 having working key fob is ok with me. I'd love to figure out why I can't seem to program another fob, but don't really want to throw more money at it. So until I figure out what the fob deal is, I will deal with what I've got. If anyone can shed light on that it would be much appreciated! I took my working fob apart to see if there were any distinguishing marks, but searching the numbers inside didn't seem to come up with anything that I could find. The fob inside has 60010 or something on the plastic, which is what the ebay seller used to find the key fob that will supposedly work, but I don't know if that is what I need or not.

On a side note, when programming the fob using the lock and unlock method while sitting inside the car you must make sure your lock actuators are working properly. If the door locks don't physically move all the way each time then it won't go into programming mode. My actuators stopped working fully after a few lock and unlock cycles so I had a helper sit in the passenger seat and while going through the cycles they would physically move the locks on the passenger side if they did not fully move while I did it on the drivers side. That allowed my vehicle to go into programming mode, but I still couldn't program any fobs besides the one I got with the car.

Lexus master and valet keys have the same exact cut. The blades are different. The master has a ridge on the edges while a valet does not.

I now have 4 keys, 1 that came with the vehicle, 2 I got from my local ace hardware and 1 I ordered on ebay. The key I got with the vehicle was cut as a master (meaning it opened all doors and the glove box, the blade was the correct 'master' cut) but the transponder was programmed as the valet key. If you don't have a key that will lock and unlock the glove box I am not sure that you can have one made, maybe by getting the key code information but having someone copy the current key will not help if it currently does not lock/unlock the glovebox. You can still program that key as a master though, I think the master cut and master programming are 2 different things. 2 of my new keys came with the button fobs, but for some reason I am not able to program them to work. The one I got from ace i believe is the wrong frequency as the sticker inside says rx300 or something. I think they ordered the wrong key, the immobilizer transponder must have been correct but the fob frequency I don't think is. i got that key free so I don't mind the fob not working. The key I got from ebay said it was the correct frequency but I also could not get the fob programmed. I contacted the seller and they told me it wasn't the right one, even though everything seemed to match up on my end and the ad said 2001 lx470. I was able to program it to start the car but thats it. I was going to send it back but it was only $20 and I had already got it cut. Its also one of the newer style flip out rectangular keys, which I wanted, so I kept it and put the original key fob unit into that key, which still worked to lock and unlock the doors. The seller steered me to a new lexus oem key and told me I needed that one. Not sure why they think I need that one and theirs won't program when lots of other people have done it. The lexus key is $70 and the seller doesn't accept returns, so I have been reluctant to buy it and see if it works. I don't need 5 keys, especially if I can't program the fobs. So for now, 4 keys that start the car with 1 having working key fob is ok with me. I'd love to figure out why I can't seem to program another fob, but don't really want to throw more money at it. So until I figure out what the fob deal is, I will deal with what I've got. If anyone can shed light on that it would be much appreciated! I took my working fob apart to see if there were any distinguishing marks, but searching the numbers inside didn't seem to come up with anything that I could find. The fob inside has 60010 or something on the plastic, which is what the ebay seller used to find the key fob that will supposedly work, but I don't know if that is what I need or not.

On a side note, when programming the fob using the lock and unlock method while sitting inside the car you must make sure your lock actuators are working properly. If the door locks don't physically move all the way each time then it won't go into programming mode. My actuators stopped working fully after a few lock and unlock cycles so I had a helper sit in the passenger seat and while going through the cycles they would physically move the locks on the passenger side if they did not fully move while I did it on the drivers side. That allowed my vehicle to go into programming mode, but I still couldn't program any fobs besides the one I got with the car.

You may need to delete all the remotes before adding more. Don't use the power lock button to add remotes. This video shows the easiest way to add them:

You may need to delete all the remotes before adding more. Don't use the power lock button to add remotes. This video shows the easiest way to add them:

@Mauser i appreciate all the input you have given and in the other threads I have read in regards to this stuff so thank you! I saw this video in another thread and was going to try it when I get back home from being out of town all week for work. When I did it with the power lock button and my helper the truck would cycle the locks at the end indicating I was in the programming mode but none of the new keys would program. I will try this method and see. If it doesn't work and I need to delete the fobs and start from scratch, how do I go about deleting the old ones? I have techstream and poked around on that but didn't really see anything. I am very unfamiliar with techstream as I only just got the vehicle and techstream so I could easily be overlooking something but want to learn.. Again, thanks so much for the help!

I thought I read somewhere that some versions of techstream don't have the option to program keys. That might be the problem but I can't seem to find any info on which versions work and which don't. Also not sure how to upgrade my version if needed so ill have to take a closer look

Tried this method and still can't get it to work. Both this method and the one using the power lock switch will get me into programming mode but none of the new keys will program, my old remote fob causes the truck to react and confirm it has been programmed to the vehicle but not the others. My assumption is I am maxed out on number of fobs available, which makes sense since I was also maxed out on the number of key transponders allowed. But now I am not sure how to reset the fob count, techstream won't give me the option to do the fobs under the body section on either of the 2 computers I have available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom