Proffitts Cruisers SOA?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look at my build in my sig. I ordered the front cut and turned housing and shackle reversal kit. I already had the rear perches done when I ordered the kit, so I omitted the rear set of perches. It was fun, but I work slow and it was torn apart for a while. Make sure you have everything you need before you tear it apart and it should go quick. This is a good time to think about Hi steer like 4x4 labs stuff, front disc brakes, power steering and a front locker since all this will be accessible while it is torn down. Don't forget about drive shafts and extended brake lines. Marlin Crawler has some nice brake stuff for cruisers and mini truck stuff.

Jeremy

I used the front kit when I re-did the SR on mine. Good price and clear instructions. I doubt I could have pieced together a kit for less of the same quality.
In general I've been very happy with the quality and service every time I've delt with them.

I allready have new braided brake lines for a 4-6" lift from MAF.

Allready have the front disk brakes.

Allready have PS

I dont have the hysteer...this is going to sounds stupid but what does the hysteer do:confused:
There are no stupid questions.

Lets see if I can come up with a stupid answer.:grinpimp:

The Hysteer moves the steering linkage above the springs. This helps keep the steering geometry correct when you do a SOA. as a side benifit it puts the linkage out of harms way.

I allready have new braided brake lines for a 4-6" lift from MAF.

Allready have the front disk brakes.

Allready have PS

I dont have the hysteer...this is going to sounds stupid but what does the hysteer do:confused:

EDIT, he beat me to it :D

moves your tie rod and steering linkage above the leaf pack. Gets rid of bumpsteer and keeps them out of the rocks.

If you are going with a shackle reversal, you are going to need modified driveshafts most likely as It's going to pull apart when you flex.

Are you running saginaw power steering or mini?

pick up the latest toyota 4wd owners. they have an article where they put a proffitt's soa on the blue 40

what i haven't seen mentioned on the high steer is that your drag link will not fit without either high steer or a double arm because the springs are in the direct path between your steering arm and the pitman arm.

EDIT, he beat me to it :D

moves your tie rod and steering linkage above the leaf pack. Gets rid of bumpsteer and keeps them out of the rocks.

If you are going with a shackle reversal, you are going to need modified driveshafts most likely as It's going to pull apart when you flex.

Are you running saginaw power steering or mini?

I actually allready have the MAF shackle reversal...with custom driveshafts...so I dont think Ill have a problem there.... Im running the mini PS setup

I actually allready have the MAF shackle reversal...with custom driveshafts...so I dont think Ill have a problem there.... Im running the mini PS setup

When you do the SOA your drive shaft lengths will probably change.

So what is the overall concensus of running SOA? Is it really that unstable over a spring under?

I am planning to do a sping over but have heard that how unstable the so is. What are your opinions.

So what is the overall concensus of running SOA? Is it really that unstable over a spring under?

I am planning to do a sping over but have heard that how unstable the so is. What are your opinions.

I am doing the proffitts SOA because it will be more stable than a sprung under lift above 4" I currently have really s***ty 4" springs and from what Ive heard the SOA will ride like a caddy! I ordered it up yesterday:cool:

There is a really good article on installing a SOA on a FJ40 in the latest issue of
4WD Toyota Owner. They install the Proffit's SOA kit plus a few other parts and do a great write up.

Might be worth a look.

1) You will never get an overall consesus on ANYTHING on this site.
B) NO! Maybe, technically. a little bit. But a superior driver compensates for that...
III) My opinions are:
One) Do more research. and;
Last) Maybe drive one before you do yours.

Thanks for the replies. I have always had 4runners and pickups which are all spring over from the factory. My plan is for my rebuild of the cruiser to do a spring over.

I was on the phone ordering parts from btbprod and they asked about my suspension. You would have thought I said I was going to run it through the shredder when I mentioned sping over.

I know they have 23 years experience. I have 20 years 4wheeling in my former pickups and 4runner. However, the FJ40's are new to me.

My plan is to use profitts kit along with some flat or stock springs.

Thanks for the replies. I have always had 4runners and pickups which are all spring over from the factory. My plan is for my rebuild of the cruiser to do a spring over.

I was on the phone ordering parts from btbprod and they asked about my suspension. You would have thought I said I was going to run it through the shredder when I mentioned sping over.

I know they have 23 years experience. I have 20 years 4wheeling in my former pickups and 4runner. However, the FJ40's are new to me.

My plan is to use profitts kit along with some flat or stock springs.

I'm not too much for bashing...but that is complete BS from BTB...and you should search on them if you want to info...thats all i'm going to say about that.

I have a SOA 40 and it rides nicely, it does lean a little, but my shocks are shot. You can beef up the spring packs or put stronger shocks on Bilstein, and it will ride beautifully. Much nicer than a 4+" lift.

Pablocruise on the board has the Downey 4" kit and 33's and I'm not much taller than him on my SOA and 35's.

Definitely drive one, done properly an SOA ride drives and flex's awesome.

My only regret about the SOA is I didn't do it 8 years ago when I did the SR. IMHO there was very little affect on body roll etc. And since I ditched the hard top it actually feels more stable than when it was SUA.

You should cut all that s*** off....

Nutlys right.. the mini truck Steering does not work well with SOA, and the MAF SR hangs nice and low, it will find alot of rocks for you! Also Soa with SR will out flex a stock length driveshaft spline no mater what you do you will need to address that..

Sucks that you are now deciding to do the SOA, because now you have a buch of stuff that you gota change to work well with it.. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom