Productive afternoon. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking for a replacement for my front crossmember and finally decided to try and fix it.
PICT0405.JPG
PICT0406.JPG
PICT0409.JPG

The last two pics are kinda back-asswards. I welded the existing metal together to simulate the effect of the rivets in the steel I cut out before welding in the new "brace". They prevent the radiator mounts from moving.

good work man.... i use to say this to al and jer ( lowtideride and redrustbucket)

"hell we don't need to get better at welding, we just need to be really good at grindin"

well thats certainly an improvement!!!! great job ian.no more lookin fer crossmember fer you huh?

It looks like you used a TIG welder from one of the photos. Good job! TIG welding can be rather challenging at times.

That looks great but just fyi, look up the term stress riser, or stress focal point in a material science book. I don't grind many non cosmetic welds anymore. The bead is extra material that is contributing to strength, and the scratches left by the grinding create more spots for cracks to start. But it is a hell of a lot stronger than rust, probably the worst cause of stress risers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom