PRODUCT REVIEW: Drill Doctor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
I recently worked a deal with http://www.drilldoctor.com on their product line...mine came in this week, and thus far I love it! Look for an official product review on ih8mud.com in the near future.

If you purchase direct thru their website, you can get a 25% discount on your purchase. Simply enter in the following code during checkout.

W4WDAi

"Gift Vouchers and Discount Coupons: During the checkout proccess, on the Payment Method page there is a box to enter a Discount or Gift Voucher Code. Enter the code here, and click the redeem button. The code will be validated and the amount will be deducted from your purchase price."

I went with their top DD750 model, covers from 3/32" up to 3/4" bits. Once I read the directions, :doh: the product proved to work great. Hope to do some destructive testing on some leaf spring packs this weekend and have a full writeup available soon.

I absolutly love mine. I have sharpened sizes from 1/8" to 3/4". I find it sharpens the smaller bits much better, but with enough time the larger bits come around. I have sharpened regular bits and the coated ones as well.

Very Cool.

Thanks for hooking us up Woody. :cheers:

Those things are expensive, but when you consider how many frickin bits I toss, I could use one. Of course I lose a lot of bits too and I guess it doesn't help with those. :whoops:

I think my wife's getting one for Christmas! :D

Sweet! Thanx Woody.... been eyeballing these for awhile now, how's yours working out for you?

Yo Han

LOVE it....once you get the hang of it, it's way faster than the old grinder method, and my small bits actually have a tip that cuts and doesn't wander.

Plus, dull one a little, and sharpening it is nice and quick...drilled out a bunch of frame rivits this past weekend, zero problems.

My 5/8" bit has a tip on it for the first time since new...I always sucked at that part, could get them to cut like butter with the grinder, but had to have a pilot hole...not any more!

Sweet Woody, thanx man for the review. Think I'm gonna get the 500. Thanks again!

What's the diference in the models? Worth the upgrade?

big difference is the included adapter for up to 3/4" bits.....plus the user replacable stone. The bit-size was the biggie for me, since I use 5/8, 11/16, and 3/4 regularly.

(sharpened the 11/16 on Wed night....yowsa, does it cut now!!)

You also get the option of angling your bit at 135degree on top of your standard 118...this is from the 500up. Believe from the 400up you get the split point option...which is sweet when it comes to drilling metal. Here's there link for the comparision chart. The 400 is just as much as the 500, bc it comes with a case i believe, but the 500s has more options. Order 2 of the 500...good stuff Woody!

http://www.drilldoctor.com/comparison_chart.htm

Yo Han

Recieved my 750 today. I am looking forward to setting it up, and sharpening some bits!

Recieved my 500s lastnight and went thru a can of old dull bits I had, surprised me how easy it is, they set it up well. From start to finish bout a minute to get a old bit to new. Thanx again Woody fer setting that up for us!! :beer:

Yo Han

Had one for about 3 years and it is the best. The best part is putting split tips on the bits. Wow do they go through the metal. Make sure you read at least some of the directions first though or maybe I'm just stupid. When I first got mine, I started to sharpen a bit backwards. It took about 3 seconds until I knew I was doing it wrong.

Great machine.

this is funny! I was just looking at these in Lowes when I went down for new Dewalt Cobalt bits! :cheers:

this is great Woody!

question though.... will the DD work on the aforementioned bits?
I love these bits as they cut through hard metal great and don't dull as fast as even their *pilot point* models.

But, I have no idea if there is some kind of *heat treatment* or something on these bits. If the DD will work, I'll get one. At like $10 a bit....they're too expensive to keep replacing when dull.... :mad:

Check their website, but I believe they do work on cobalts and others....May have to get one of the "upper" models tho with the diamond cutter.

used mine 3-4 times again today....sure is nice to just touch up a bit to sharpen it and not fight it....(frames are TUFF to drill!)

Got my 750.

Works fine.

The Drill Doctors are currently on sale at Sears for Fathers Day.

The 750 is only $107.99, and the 500 is only $89.99.

Just thought you might like to know. :flipoff2:

I looked at these about 10 years ago when they first came out and was put of that it would not do a split point, now that that is fixed that is a "got-to-have" drill bits are not cheap it will pay for itself eventually

looks like my dad is gettin one for fathers day.... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom