Product Review: 70 Series Fender Skirts by Rad Rubber (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The fender skirts on my '92 LJ78 had long ago perished by the time I bought it. I made my own out of some rubber-ish material I had laying around, but it only took a few months for that to tear and fall apart:
IMG_0281.jpeg

Through my local Cruiser grapevine, I heard about Rad Rubber Designs, which specializes in fender skirts for Toyota trucks. I didn't see anything on their website for 70 series so I sent an email and asked. Coincidentally, it turns out that they'd just come out with a new 70-series product. It's not even on their website yet.
IMG_0278.jpeg

The material is thick and high density. I'm not worried at all about it's durability. I lucked out since it appears to be designed for coil spring suspension trucks like mine. No idea how well this will work for leaf-sprung 70s. The original skirts were a one-piece design. This two-piece design is easier to manufacture, I expect.

A minor nit-picking issue is that the pieces are labeled "Driver side" and "Passenger side" which can be confusing based on where your 70 came from. It would be better to label them right and left. These were designed for a RHD vehicle.
IMG_0282.JPG

The only modification required is that the original mounting holes have to be drilled out to 1/4 inch to accommodate the upgraded fasteners.
IMG_0289.jpeg

The shape and size work well and the holes line up perfectly. I liked that there was a little extra material to surround the steering box.
IMG_0290.jpeg

The only thing that seemed off is that there's about a 2-inch gap in coverage aft of the shock tower. There's an extra mounting hole that isn't used, so I guess it's likely that the model used as the template was a little bit different.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. Installation took about 20 minutes once the wheels were off. Eddie, who appears to run the place, was very responsive to my questions. When ordering, be sure to specify how much body lift, if any. Their website is here: Rad Rubber Design – FJ Fender Flaps, Toyota Engine Splash Guards – Rad Rubber Design – FJ Fender Flaps, Toyota Engine Splash Guards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom