Procedure For Driving Without one Driveshaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Second time giving this a go and it still didn't work so I'm a little frustrated and looking for some help here.

I'm trying to isolate some driveline noise by process of elimination, so I'm trying to drive without the front shaft to test. I've read up from what people say here and basically you need to engage the CDL then pull the shaft.

Well this is my second go around; Turned on the truck, engaged the CDL, pulled forward up the drive way then backed out a bit, then threw it in neutral, pulled the front driveshaft.
When I try to put the car into gear without the front shaft the CDL just clicks. What am I doing wrong here, am I not getting full lockout before I'm pulling the shaft? What is the full procedure I should follow with the CDL switch?

Start the truck.
Place transfer case in LOW. to engage the CDL (Unless you already have a CDL switch)
Once the TCase is in low, drive the truck to ensure the CDL is actually engaged. You will feel the front tires scrub as you turn and the steering will get very heavy.
Once it is engaged, place the TRANSMISSION in PARK.
Shut off the engine and pull the key.
Remove the CDL fuse from the fuse block
Start the truck
Move the TCase lever to HIGH
Place transmission in D.
Drive. The CDL should remain on and the truck should drive.

OK, you have the CDL switch.

Place the transmission in PARK.
Place the TCase lever in High (or low if that's what you want)
Start the truck.
Press the CDL so the light is on.
Move the transmission lever to D.
drive.

From the sound of you video, I think your TCase is still in Neutral. It MUST be in H or L.

OK, you have the CDL switch.

Place the transmission in PARK.
Place the TCase lever in High (or low if that's what you want)
Start the truck.
Press the CDL so the light is on.
Move the transmission lever to D.
drive.

From the sound of you video, I think your TCase is still in Neutral. It MUST be in H or L.
TCase is In HIGH in the video. Need to test at speed so I haven't I want to leave it in the High range. The only thing that I think is different from your steps is when I pulled the shaft I had the transmission in Neutral.

Here is exactly what I did this time since I have the factory CDL switch:
Truck on
TCase in High
Transmission Neutral
Hit CDL switch, wait for Diff Lock light and ABS light to flip on dash
Flipped the truck in Drive, pulled forward, then back a couple times in the driveway
Transmission into neutral, parking brake on
Pulled front diff
Start truck and the noise is the result of trying to put into gear.

I'm mostly thinking that the CDL isn't fully engaged before I pull the shaft. I might try again and drive around the block, but its paved roads so I'm trying to be gentle here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom