Problems with the Drive Pinion Front Bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a friend with a unexpected destroyed ring and pinion,and when we ordered the replacement parts at our Toyota dealer, we were surprised when we were notified the former 80 series rear differential Drive Pinion were just discontinued and now the Drive Pinion came with a bigger shaft diameter and of course all the older bearings, flange, washer, nut, etc, didn't fit because of this change.

We were told that this is a improvement since the older Drive Pinion couldn't stand severe loads, (they say it could bend ??????) and that would explain what happened with ours. Seems to be a worldwide problem.

But now the quest started since we got from the dealer all the new required parts but the new front bearing is unavailable and they are awaiting it's delivery from Japan but no exact date were provided !!!!!!!!

Then we visited unsucessfully, several major bearing suppliers looking for a similar spec bearing and zero were at sight. We were told this bearing is so new and was made exclusively for Toyota so there is not a direct replacement from SKF, Timken, Koyo or any other bearing brand available yet.

OEM Part Number is 90366-33066.

Has this new upgraded bigger shaft diameter pinion arrived already in the states or do you still carry the older ?

If any of you have news about this bearing and who have it in stock, please post it here, I will deeply appreciate it:crybaby:

Last edited:
I just had to deal with this exact situation. I was asked to install brand new locking 3rds in to a truck and all the pinion stuff you mentioned was of the larger size.

What you will need to get those pinions installed

pinion bearing
slinger
drive flange
flange nut.

The bearing out at the gear end is the same between the two.

I just had to deal with this exact situation. I was asked to install brand new locking 3rds in to a truck and all the pinion stuff you mentioned was of the larger size.

What you will need to get those pinions installed

pinion bearing
slinger
drive flange
flange nut.

The bearing out at the gear end is the same between the two.

We got all the other parts already but the pinion bearing which is the only one not available here right now and is in back order by our Toyota assembling plant, but we can´t wait any more and that´s why I was looking to source it ASAP either in the states or in Japan as Japan4X4 has offered to locate it but now is midnight over there so I should wait his answer.

I just been informed that Toyota´s inventory computer system shows the bearing is in the stock and in the afternoon they should confirm that, but unfortunately in my own experience this is not the first time the computer show that someting is in stock but zero on their warehouse !!!!!

I'm sure I still have the bearing in the garage. It came out of a new diff and wasn't used.

keep it on a short leash, you will need it in the future because all new replacement ring and pinion sets now require it for the 80 series if you buy the OEM parts.

Anyhow the bearing arrived at my dealer warehouse and I just have it in mi hand, monday it will be installed together with a new ARB !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom