Problems after AHC Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently got the AHC removed and Got the Slee Heavy OME 2.5" kit installed.

Mine is 2001 , LX 470 with 180K miles.

Just one week after the install, one day when returning from Lowes I suddenly had some slipping and then suddenly the steering started getting locked, to top it all power to the drive was lost (more gas pedal did not move the car).

On the Dash the following lights came on "Battery" , "Check Engine" , "A/T Temp" , all the other temperature gauges reported normal.

After sitting and idling for some time, I switched it off and then turned on. I was able to drive for couple of hundred yards(to my driveway ) and then the problem returned.

So, I got the car towed to the best Transmission shop I know, thinking it had something to do with the transmission. Three weeks later with the shop, they could not replicate the issue. Full checks of transmission were performed and no issues were found.

So I got the car back from the transmission shop and started driving it regularly to work ahoping for the best. After one week the problem returned again this time in rush hour traffic. Luckily it happened 100 yards from my regular toyota mechanic(who did the lift upgrade). The car is parked there and they have had spent some time on it trying to diagnose the issue.

So I wanted to check with fellow mudders... for some help with diagnosis

Below are some observations from when the lights come on...

- Engine idling, no power to the pedals
- Steering is locked
- Battery, Check Engine, A/T Temp lights on
- Temp gauge shows normal
- Switching off the car and starting on, makes the lights go away and the vehicle becomes drivable again
- Coolant levels look normal
- Steering fluid level looks normal
- No Codes were found !!!!

What could the problem be, my guess is the wrong fuses for AHC were removed. Any ideas?

IMG_0784.JPG

Tried a lot of things. Bought a BlueDriver Bluetooth OBD2 monitor and continuously monitored the faults. Since the problem occurred haphazardly/randomly with no indications(usually within 30 miles of driving) . Finally when I was driving with Bluedriver hooked in the problem occurred again. I was able to read a couple of codes. Interestingly there were no freeze frame data saved, which is again weird.
Got some ABS codes like C0205 , C1223 and B2796. Which again are random codes IMHO as I have had everything thoroughly checked over the past 2 months ob diagnosing the problem.

After looking at various options. The mechanic I was working with suggested to replace the Fuse Box altogether. I finally can confirm that after replacing fusebox and driving 500 plus miles on it the issue is no longer persistent.

I hope this helps someone else. Every situation is different but in my case, it was the fuse box.

This is interesting, as I am in the process of doing a full gut and replacement of the entire system much like yourself.

I’m curious, since you’ve probably had much time to really thing about the situation, do you think that your mechanical predicament of doing a AHC delete truly caused the fuse box to blow? And, if so, would you trace it to a unplugged module or one node of the system left still connected to the system, potentially creating an electrical overload on the circuit?

Or was it a separate and distinct issue that would have shown itself no matter the AHC delete?

Looking forward to your thoughts !

I can confirm it was a separate distinct issue. AHC had nothing to do with it. I thought it did , but I was wrong. AHC delete is well documented and has been done by a lot of mudders.

I would say go for it. Fuse box going bad was something I was not expecting at all. But it was bad and was causing non sensical codes to be fired.

I had a lot of warning lights on the dash for some time, turned out to be a faulty "L" signal coming from the alternator and damaged wiring. Symptoms are not exactly the same but it's easy to check.

Little bit more info in my thread here post #47.
Same problems in this thread.

@boomonster There are three “fuse box” - engine room and left & right kick panel inside.

Are you referring to replacing Engine Room JB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom