Problem starting - No CEL or A/T OIL TEMP lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is on a 2000 LX470 with 132K miles.

When I put the key in the ignition and turn to the on position, the lights come on the dash like normal except for the check engine or the transmission oil temperature lights. When this happens, it will crank just fine, but will not start. So far, this has only happened about once a week, but it seems to be picking up in frequency. Once it does get started, it has never stalled out and died on me.

One time when it happened, I took the key out of the ignition and flipped it around 180-degrees. I put it back in the ignition, and it started perfectly. I don't know if that was a fix or just a random coincidence.

Another intermittent issue that I've been having is that the key reminder chime has been occasionally ringing after I shut the truck down and open the door after already taking the key out. This happened to me this morning, and I reinserted the key and turned to the on position, and then removed the key which seemed to resolve the chime.

With the reminder chime and the starter issue, does anyone think this could just be an issue with the ignition cylinder lock or one of the related parts detecting or not detecting the key? I haven't heard of anything exactly like this yet, so I'm hoping someone else has seen this.

The below video on Youtube describes a similar starting issue in which the guy replaced the EFI fuse to resolve the issue, and in a follow-up video, he replaced the whole fuse box to fix it for good. I checked my fuse, and it's looking fine, so I'm not sure that's my issue.

This LX is new to me, so I'm still figuring it out. Any help that anyone can offer would be much appreciated!

The LX470 has a known problem with the fuse box failing intermittently. It's rare, but it happens. Google LX470 intermittent start and there is a video on it.

The LX470 has a known problem with the fuse box failing intermittently. It's rare, but it happens. Google LX470 intermittent start and there is a video on it.
Thanks for the input! I did see something about that, but I didn't hear anyone note those two dash lights not coming on, so I thought it might be another non-related issue. Also, people with that problem were mentioning the engines stalling out. While I haven't had that happen, perhaps that's the next stage. I'll look into that some more.

Yeah, the fuse box issue can cause random different conditions depending on which fuse circuit fails. EFI seems to be the most common but Ive seen others as well. On mine in addition to intermittent start at one point the VGRS ecu lost power and my wheel ended up 80 degrees off. I recentered and with tech stream and its been fine.

Okay, well I'll definitely dig into that some more.

The videos I watched on the issue mentioned that it was caused by the connection on the backside of the fuse connections loosening up. I wonder if there's a way to disassemble the fuse box and repair it. If you could gain access, I'd think soldering each connection would do the trick assuming the connections are all just crimped.

For EFI crank no start wizardry, look up posts by @medtro

I thought about trying that but it looked like it would tear up the fuse box. But I'm not very good at that kind of stuff. I confirmed that the LC fuse box is identical because I couldn't find a Lexus one. I was able to get one from a Toyota dealer. I guess the reason I think it's my problem is that on tech stream in the history I'm finding instances of low power at the ecu's. I don't know what else would cause that when the battery is good. I'm still waiting for another failure before I replace the fuse box to see what tech stream says then.

Okay, I'll look into whether or not it can be opened up, and I'll report back if I make any headway on that. Otherwise, I'll probably plan on getting a new fuse box from Toyota.

Thanks, I'd like to know if that's possible and how hard it is. The fuse box isn't cheap.

It's possible to remove the fuse box and get to the lower portion. IIRC it involves loosening a bunch of breakable compression tabs, all at the same time, to open the clamshell. Quite fiddly and frustrating.

That's what it looked like to me, key word breakable. I can break stuff that nobody breaks.
Just call this specific breakage "weight reduction"

If I break them all I guess I could put rubber bands around it. I quit worrying about weight reduction when I stopped racing sailboats :)

Okay, I'll look into whether or not it can be opened up, and I'll report back if I make any headway on that. Otherwise, I'll probably plan on getting a new fuse box from Toyota.
Did you ever end up finding the fix?
Like you mine is more and more frequently not willing to start. And my efi fuse is just fine as well!

Did you ever end up finding the fix?
Like you mine is more and more frequently not willing to start. And my efi fuse is just fine as well!
No, I just replaced mine. I thought about opening up the box to see if it could be repaired, but it didn't seem like you could do that without some level of destruction to the box itself. I didn't want to take a chance with a temporary fix that might leave me stranded. I have enough things in my life to worry about.

I do have the old box if someone wants to try to repair it.

No, I just replaced mine. I thought about opening up the box to see if it could be repaired, but it didn't seem like you could do that without some level of destruction to the box itself. I didn't want to take a chance with a temporary fix that might leave me stranded. I have enough things in my life to worry about.

I do have the old box if someone wants to try to repair it.
Thanks for the quick response. Any chance you could recall the part number? I am almost positive it is 82720-60023 but just wanted to confirm

Thanks for the quick response. Any chance you could recall the part number? I am almost positive it is 82720-60023 but just wanted to confirm
Correct, 82720-60023. I got mine from Bell Lexus, and they were the cheapest domestic source at the time that I purchased mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom