PROBLEM SOLVED. Any recommendations for diesel mechanics in San Diego? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So unfortunately overnight my 13bt BJ74 developed a starting(possible fueling issue). Due to my current work schedule and this being my daily me and the wife are currently sharing a vic. Not sustainable for more than a few days.

Does any one know of a good mechanic here in San Diego. I will likely have to tow it there? Thank you.

FYI. what have already done and what is occuring. 1 day prior I backed it up my drive to offload some mulch. The next morning I started and the vehicle died after about a second or two. This repeats sometimes will turn over and sometimes will just crank.

So far I have.

1. Drained the tank
2. Drained and cleaned out the sedimentor
3. Replaced the fuel filter
4. Cracked the injectors and primed everything with a Bosch hand primer.
No issues with that so far.
5. Engine oil change . (Was a few quarts low)

Current engine issues. Don't know if they will factor in.
1. Radiator leak at top brass fitting
2. Oil leak at rear main seal.
3. A few on and off air leaks issues causing engine to not turn off (possible due to my Chinese knockoff clutch booster).

Thank you everyone

Probably need to replace all rubber fuel lines. Check the condition of all metal lines, especially the fuel pickup at the tank.
I had this exact issue about a year ago. Dropped the fuel tank, replaced all hoses along with the filler and haven’t looked back since. 👍🏽

Thank you for the suggestions and thoughts everyone. I had pretty much concluded it wasn't a fueling issues. Lines all looked good, fresh fuel, clean sedimentary, fresh filter no issues with air in lines at hand pump or injectors. I had begun to hang my head in defeat and reserved a car rental. However after a few hours of searching this forum, I realized I hadn't checked the VSV for the butterfly/shutdown. Sure enough, I went and pulled the line from the diaphragm and it started right up. Just requires a manual shut down for now. Now I just need to figure out the actual long term fix for this problem.

Wow can’t believe we all didn’t jump all over the 13BT not starting and VSV. That’s usually the first thing we say. There have been a few fueling issues threads lately so maybe that threw us off.

The VSV can cause all sorts of goofiness. No shutdown, no start and shutting off engine under load I’ve had the no shutdown and shutdown under high boost. No shutdown was my intake manifold gasket was bad, shut down under boost was air intake restriction/vacuum under boost caused by the OEM snorkel top.

Here are some threads to help. It’s either a vacuum issue or the VSV failed. I don’t think I’ve heard of the actual dashpot/butterfly valve fail. Vacuum leak somewhere from hose/gasket/brake or clutch booster.

My guess is since it’s dieing/no start the VSV is bad. Something is sticking so once vacuum builds it shuts the valve off. Possibly you can clean it? You could swap with one of the other ones for 4wd to confirm and then order another. Maybe cruiser outfitters has one is stock if so?

89 BJ74 with BT13 not shutting down! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/89-bj74-with-bt13-not-shutting-down.1305698/#post-14833184

BJ74 just died on highway - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bj74-just-died-on-highway.1222417/#post-13306206

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom