Problem separating carburetor body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TCEd

SILVER Star
Threads
I disassembled my 2F Aisan carburetor last night except I cannot loosen the screw that fastens the upper and lower section of the carburetor. This is the one that goes from the lower half (throttle body) to the upper half and has a hole in it and a slot for a screwdriver. I have the two upper screws removed. I've tried penetrant, impact driver and they don't budge the screw. In the attached photo it is the screw between the two butterflies looking at the carb. bottom.

I want to dip the carb. bodies overnight. Can this be done with the upper and lower halves assembled with the black phenolic type spacer in between or will the dip damage it ? Thanks, ed

aisen.jpg

Last edited:
Spray with penetrating oil (ie PB Blaster) three times a day for a few days. Maybe stick a q-tip in the hole to force the Blaster thru the threads. It will eventually come loose. Heat will also help to break the bond as mentioned above.

I've been pouring the penentrant to it and will try letting it soak into the threads for a couple more days. The screw head is down in the carb. body some so it's it's hard to hit it directly with heat. Another problem is the slot in the screw is a bit messed up so a blade screwdriver doesn't sit in the slot tightly.
Again does anyone know if the phenolic/plastic spacer can survive being dipped in carb. cleaner ?

I've been pouring the penentrant to it and will try letting it soak into the threads for a couple more days. The screw head is down in the carb. body some so it's it's hard to hit it directly with heat. Another problem is the slot in the screw is a bit messed up so a blade screwdriver doesn't sit in the slot tightly.
Again does anyone know if the phenolic/plastic spacer can survive being dipped in carb. cleaner ?

I remember reading that the plastic spacer should *not* be dipped in the chem cleaner. That being said, I read that AFTER I had dipped mine, and it seemed to hold up OK. Won't do it again, though.

You may have some luck grinding down a screwdriver to fit better in the slot on that screw. I know I ended up sacrificing a few screw drivers to properly fit the screws on my carb during a recent rebuild.

A dedicated screwdriver tip on an impact driver will budge it as long as the head of the screw is not stripped.

In well over a thousand carb rebuilds, I’ve only had to drill the head off of one of those screws once.

I'll give the penetrant another day and also grind a screwdriver to fit the slot tighter. ed

I'll give the penetrant another day and also grind a screwdriver to fit the slot tighter. ed
X2. I have a cheap Harbor Freight screw driver that is ground down just for that purpose.

Regarding the plastic spacer, if you just can't get that screw out no matter how hard you try, I think it would be OK to soak it for 15-20 mins and hopefully that would be enough time for the dip to do its magic and loosen the screw enough to remove it.

image.jpg
I had exactly this problem last winter. I couldn't budge it with screwdriver and was in danger of ruining the head. I ended up finding a socket that just fit into the hole without binding, cut a slot in the end and tig welded the tip of a large screwdriver into the slot. A moment's bump with the air wrench and it came right out.

Well after repeated soakings with penetrant and reworking a blade screwdriver tip for my impact driver the stubborn screw finally relented and freed up. So now all the metal parts are cycling through the giant can of carb. cleaner and should begin reassembly tomorrow. Amazing how one small screw can set your schedule back a week.
Thanks for all the help, ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom