Problem: fuesable link? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

This has been a trying week with my FJ60 "Murdock"....ok...well Tuesday I woke up to 10 degree weather...actually it was probably colder....my trucks started up kinda sluggishly.....well by the end of the day it had started snowing and the temperature dropped. When I got to the truck it wouldn't start.....it turned slowly but wouldn't fire...and yes the choke was out. I called my mechanic the next day and he told me to wait till it heated up b/c the fuel line might have been frozen or what not. So I did, today I went to turn on "murdock" and it wouldn't start. Luckily I my parking garage is on top of a Sears Auto. I went down there and the guy came up, made sure my choke was closing properly, and piggy backed two chargers to start my truck. SO I got a new battery I went from a 550 amp to 875 thinking my problems are solved. Well I picked up the car and it didn't start right up. if finally did after the second try......I moved it up to the parking garage and went back to work. Well the Sears guys said he tested my alternator and thought it was bad, but said to check with my mechanic b/c he has a modern day tester and my alternator is old so it may not read right. I called my mechaninc and he told me its probably not the alternator. Well after work I went to start up my truck and It turned on w/o the choke on the first try but died soon after. It wouldn't idle so I had to keep the gas pressed down...I immediately called my mechanic....then I turned on the lights and noticed that my headlights turned on but my dash lights didn't. I told him that and he said its more than likely that I burned out my fuesable link....what is that? well i kept the gas on and drove out after a few minutes....it finally started idling, and my dash lights came on.....So....does any one have any feedback or comments? What is a fuesable link, and does this seem like what it is? Thanks a bunch.

-Los

Slounds like bad battery cables..

A fuseable link is basically the power feed for your entire power system. It is bypassed when starting..

I doubt that the FL is the culprit.. But I have been wrong.

Check your battery wires and alt voltage..
It takes nothing than a volt meter to see what your alt is charging during idle..

Definetely check the alternator...but maybe order a FL from some good discount place like C-Dan since it's a good thing to have as a spare anyway. Unfortuately the FL for the 60 is the most expensive one, about $43 list, less from a discount dealer.

If it was the FL it would be and on or off situation. No way it would have power, then lose power, then later get it back. The fusible link acts just like a fuse. Once blown, it must be replaced. FL is NOT the problem here.

well guys....my mechanic changed the FL and it starts up and idle's like a true champ....thanks for the help.

There had to be something else in that area, loose/coroded connection etc. A bad fusible link will NOT suddenly be good then bad again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom