Problem bleeding power steering system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a new rebuilt power steering gearbox and am having trouble bleeding the system. I got the gearbox installed and jacked up the front. Filled the system and turned wheels lock to lock and then filled it up more.

Now when I start the engine the reservoir goes down to cold part of stick and when I try to turn lock to lock get some noise and the fluid looks foamy. When I stop the engine the reservoir fills up almost all the way with foamy fluid and the first few times ran over the sides. I got a small transmission cooling after the hard line on the frame. I turned the cooler so both lines are on top to help clear any air. The cooler is down at the bottom of the radiator. The PS pump is a toyota one and not old.

I got the hoses to power steering gearbox hooked up correctly according to recent thread.

Any ideas??

I just installed a new rebuilt power steering gearbox and am having trouble bleeding the system. I got the gearbox installed and jacked up the front. Filled the system and turned wheels lock to lock and then filled it up more.

Now when I start the engine the reservoir goes down to cold part of stick and when I try to turn lock to lock get some noise and the fluid looks foamy. When I stop the engine the reservoir fills up almost all the way with foamy fluid and the first few times ran over the sides. I got a small transmission cooling after the hard line on the frame. I turned the cooler so both lines are on top to help clear any air. The cooler is down at the bottom of the radiator. The PS pump is a toyota one and not old.

I got the hoses to power steering gearbox hooked up correctly according to recent thread.

Any ideas??

yes, keep at it. It takes some time to bleed the air out. continue to slowly turn steering all the way to the letf and then to the right., with engine running and front end off ground. Periodically check fluid level.
It's the fun part of the process.

I had been at it a hour before I stopped tonight. It never took this long. I will try some more tomorrow.

Howdy! Did you refill the system with ATF or "power steering fluid"? There IS a big difference. Beter check the owners' manual to see which one you should use. John

it can take awhile... it can be frustrating. I usually set the front end down after awhile and drive it around the block and then repeat the process until it completely bleeds out. I run atf.

SOMEWHERE i just cannot remember, Poser posted some good info on bleeding the powers steering systems. I need it also let me see if i can find it.

Howdy! Did you refill the system with ATF or "power steering fluid"? There IS a big difference. Beter check the owners' manual to see which one you should use. John

I had a small red ATF volcano out the top of reservoir when I first started.. :lol:

For some reason mine dont have it in there

I have an older version of the Chasis & Body that came with the land cruiser. It's on SR-34: Replacement of Power Steering Fluid. I did this step. Then I went to the Bleeding step on SR-35. Never could get it to not foam. Had to go back to SR-34 and make sure the reservoir never went empty. Then when I went to the Bleeding step it worked.

Page SR-34
PC010011_mod.jpg

Got all the air out of it and the steering feels great. My problem was I was having trouble clearing the air bubbles out of the gearbox with the front of the cruiser up high. The gearbox connections are at the back so when the front is raised it makes it hard to sweep the bubbles all out. I started the engine and raise the rear and it seem to immediately get the rest of the air out of the system. I got the hose out and washed all the ATF off the frame and smog pump and cleaned up everything.

Here is what I am going to try next time I have a dry system which probably will be along time.

Set the emergency brake.
Jack up front of cruiser so both wheels are off the ground.
Place a block behind the rear wheels.
Fill the reservoir with ATF
Turn steering wheel lock to lock about 5 times.
Check fluid in reservoir and add to keep it in the cold section on the stick or higher.
Repeat the last two steps until the fluid stops going down and little air is heard bubbling out of the system
Lower the front of cruiser.
Lift the rear so wheels are still touching the ground so back wheels keep it from moving
Check the fluid and make sure it is at the top of the cold section of the stick
Start the engine and turn the wheels lock to lock a few times to make sure all air is out of gearbox.
Stop engine and check fluid level.
Lower the rear and take it for a test drive.
Check fluid when you get back.

Last edited:
problemo?

Sorry to dredge up an oldish thread. I noticed some foamy ps fluid from the top of the PS pump the other morning. I the fluid was old and brown. I did a full flush and bleed as per fsm but after about a freakin gallon of ATF I still had crazy frothy foam spewing out he return line. Looked like a slush puppy. I checked the link from this thread and followed instructions for the "engine off" bleed and noticed that there was barely any fluid coming out of the return line while I turned the wheel lock to lock with the res. full to the top. Should atf come from the return line while I turn the wheels lock to lock with the engine off??

anyway... I let the truck sit for a few hours to allow residual foam to settle out.

Since there was at least no more foam, (actually nothing,) coming from the return line, I hooked the lines back to the pump and started the engine. To my dismay, more foamy atf spewed from the cap of the PS pump. I had the smog pump covered the whole time to avoid getting atf onto it.

Think the PS pump is shot? Is there anything else I could try?

nada?

nevermind.

There is fluid coming back on the return line with the engine off back to the reservoir. The gearbox pulls fluid from the power steering pump when you go lock to lock. When I was bleeding mine with the engine off I had the level raise sometimes while getting all the air out of the system. It is a pain. With the engine off you can hear the fluid and air bubbles moving when you go lock to lock on the steering.

It took me about a week to get it done. After spending one hour trying to get all the air out, I quit and left the vehicle alone for one week. When I went back to continue, I started the 60 and noticed that the steering was working fine. Maybe the air trapped went out by itself. :steer:

hey kevin,What's happenin bro?i was going to pm you for some help on hooking up a kill switch,that's another time.i wish that i have seen this post much earlier coz i would have loaned you my fluid extractor,it would have save you you time and some grief.i saw something similar on Griot's Garage.com,they call it a brake fluid extractor for under 70 bucks.this is similar to what i used when i rebuilt my pump and bleed the system it only took me less than 15 min and 2 quartz of atf.i'll pm you later. john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom