Probems filling up at the gas pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone else having this issue?

When trying to fill up with gas I can't use the latch that holds the pump on until it is full. The pump stops every few seconds as if the tank has reached maximum. To fill the truck I have to hold the gas nozzle and manually fill the truck. But I can't just squeeze the trigger and go. I have to barely squeeze so not much fuel goes in or "pop", the pump shuts off.:mad:

This used to be an intermitant problem, experienced at some gas stations and not others. Now its becoming the norm. I'm in California where we have all that gas fume recovery crap attached to the gas pump handle.

Any solutions?

Try and pull a little past the pump so the nozzle sits slightly turned CCW.

Report back if that halps.

Had that issue. It was my hand putting the nozzle in slightly crooked and causing back-pressure. The pump also stopped to soon.

Try and pull a little past the pump so the nozzle sits slightly turned CCW.

Report back if that halps.

Loud,
Placing the nozzle with the handle cocked up to the right helps sometimes but isn't a constant solution. I have tried positioning the handle in all types of positions. This used to be an occasional problem but now is becomming the norm.

When I have this issue, I just pull the nozzle out about an inch and let it hang a little lower than it normally does. That changes the angle some and usually does the trick...but I don't know if that's possible on the CA pumps with the vapor recovery hoods.

When I have this issue, I just pull the nozzle out about an inch and let it hang a little lower than it normally does. That changes the angle some and usually does the trick...but I don't know if that's possible on the CA pumps with the vapor recovery hoods.

That works fine when I'm out of CA, but the recovery hoods don't allow that here.

It's a pisser. I can fill up my spector gas cans no problem, but not the LC. Go figure.

Not that it would be any comfort, but it's the same on the diesel. Have to pull it out quite a bit.
Suppose it's because the filling pipe is long and partly horizontal.

PS
I even have a full size bus with the same problem. Can't use the truck pumps. Have to use the car-size pump. Takes time, and the tank is even bigger.:crybaby:

What do the vapor recovery hood? I assume it's something on the pump to pull the vapors back?

This is what GA (where I go to school) has:
Gas-Pump.jpg

As you can see, you can position them any way you want.

Thanks to CARB (Calif Air Resources Board) all of our gas pumps have vapor recovery systems. They are also the folks who helped ban the Spector gas cans.

The link below shows a picture of the vapor recovery hood and how motorcycle riders are trying to get around this stupid contraption. I have found this topic discussed on other vehicle related forums. High flow pumps seem to be more of an issue.

Vapor Recovery Nozzle Tool - ADVrider

Only problem I have at the gas pump is the $75 limit. Filling up twice at the same station should be against the law.

Just be glad they still sell gas in CA ....they can't wait to turn off the pumps for good.

Try the pull out method I have to do that on most vehicles in Colorado.... everything works better on motorcycles too.

I usually have to remove and try to get the nozzle more verticle. On my other car I just use the gas cap to hold handle in place. Dont jam the gas cap in there of course or it could keep running. Place it in gently so it can still turn off or barely wedged in there so that the click when it is full will make the gas cap fall out.

Some places used those recovery hoods here a while back and the trick was to have constant downward pressure on the pump handle. The hood had some sort of sensor in it that was only triggered when the handle was pressed into it on the bottom side all the way.

Don't know if it is the same contraption as yours, but may be worth a try.

Update
It appears the problem has been solved. Here is what we did.

After some google searches we thought it could be a clogged vapor recovery hose that runs from the filler neck to the charcoal canister. My mechanic removed the hose at the canister an blew compressed air into it. It appeared to be glogged so air was blown in from filler neck and again from canister. Air flowed freely now.
At the gas pump there was a slight improvement.

Next I pulled out the Toyota repair manual and we ran all the tests to insure the charcoal canister was within specs. It passed all the tests:eek: Now what?

My mechanic decided to remove the charcoal canister an blow compressed air through all the ports on the canister. Re-installed the canister an headed to the gas station. For the first time in months I can fill up using the trigger hold down. Need to angle the handle towards the back of the truck.

On my third fill up and it is still filling ok. Beats a new charcoal canister at $400.00!

Last edited:
I faced a similar issue a few days ago. This was a 76 gas station which I had not used for my 03 LC atleast. After swiping my credit card and insertion of nozzle the pump did not work. I called the attendent who suggested that I pre-pay for my gas because my credit card was not working. So I prepaid for my gas and it was the same result again. No gas. Finally, the station attendent had to come and see what was going on. He asked me to hold the nozzle at a particular angle and pressed hard against the opening of the gas tank and then went inside to release the gas. I was able to fill gas finally. I guess the nozzle has to make an air tight seal with the gas tank opening with the new CA regulations. I fill gas at the COSTCO stations routinely and never had to do any of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom