Pro comp lift questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
many years ago, I ran this lift as one of 4Wheel Parts "suspension Specials) Rode like a tank, did not flex at all, and I bent two springs in a year.

I have heard that they have since changed spring manufacturers (this was at least 7 years ago that I ran them), but I would steer clear. Why not look at the Dakar springs? They are around $100 each.

when a friend was looking for springs and wanted something different, i told him there's a reason everyone runs ome/skyjacker/alcan. because they work. he insisted on downey's to be different and he's unhappy. i've made the same mistake myself.

instead of looking at what you can afford, i suggest saving up what you need to buy what's been proven.

that said, i suggest skyjacker for fj40's...i've had them, numerous friends have had them..for a daily driver/wheeler/everyday rig, they are the best for the $. ome is great, but mucho$$$ and dakar is still a few hundred more than skyjacker. alcans are great if you plan on custom spring mounts where a bolt on kit won't work because they custom make your springs and they are only about 200/per.

hth

Thanks, Skyjacker was my choice but what I found out is that they have quit making the 2.5 " kit. I can get the single spring and was waiting for one of those specials 4wheelparts has and free weekend shipping.

I tried several dealers on skyjackers web site. I just have not heard of the pro comp kit so I thought I would ask.

It looks like alcan's are going to be the way I will go, I was looking for a kit and was going to put the rears on the fj40 and fronts on the fj45. The 40 has a small adaleaf and rides like sh*t.

Myrle

I agree with NUCLEARLEMON, buy something that has been proven.

I have heard some things about PRO COMP, that there was or is a RECALL ON SUSPENSION, might wanna do a Google Search

PRO COMP RECALL

Last edited:
Pro Comp has its place but I don't think so much in the smaller, leaf sprung world. I had a 6" Pro Comp kit on a full size bronco and it was an EXCELLENT kit. I used to jump that pig of a rig in the desert and the lift held up great. It also rode good on the highway.

I had a buddy in college with a YJ and the pro comp lift and it was WAY too stiff and didn't flex worth a poo either.

I have Pro Comp shocks on the rear of my 5" lifted 40 and they SUCK big time. So I think is it touch and go with PC's kits. I definatly will not buy their shocks ever again.

I have OME on my Jeep and they are a work of art! :bounce: :bounce2:

i have 2.5 pro comp with SOA and der real stiff.... i've got nice droop but there wicked stiff...wouldn't suggest them...i opened up the leaf packs for more flex and it helped

Lol...I bought my wife a '04 Jeep KJ 4x4 and added Rusty's 2.5" lift springs and OME dampers. Man, it rides good and will take a beating but not like a Cruiser. She would not be to happy if I wacked a tree with the Liberty, but we still take it wheelin' as a family 'cause my 2 month old wouldn't do so well in a jump seat. :doh:

It will hold its own but I can't afford to mess it up too much. :ban:

spike6901 said:
Pro Comp has its place but I don't think so much in the smaller, leaf sprung world. I had a 6" Pro Comp kit on a full size bronco and it was an EXCELLENT kit. I used to jump that pig of a rig in the desert and the lift held up great. It also rode good on the highway.

I had a buddy in college with a YJ and the pro comp lift and it was WAY too stiff and didn't flex worth a poo either.

I have Pro Comp shocks on the rear of my 5" lifted 40 and they SUCK big time. So I think is it touch and go with PC's kits. I definatly will not buy their shocks ever again.

I have OME on my Jeep and they are a work of art! :bounce: :bounce2:

I would have to agree. I used pro comp IFS lifts on my 91 toy and on 2 tacomas. Real nice stuff and it held up well to a lot of abuse. Jumped one of the tacomas a few times too, nothing bent. That said I have their shocks on my 40 and they suck. Only reason I bought them was one of the 4wparts free shipping deals myself. I needed longer shocks after adding shackles to my skyjacker 2.5 inch kit (which I am very happy with) the skyjackers were topped out. Hopefully some 5100 bilsteins will find their way onto my truck sometime soon.

might wanna try TPI???they make the smokey mountain suspension.they also sell skyjacker and may have some 2.5" lifts left in stock.
also rockymountaincruisers.com might have the 2.5" in stock as well.he uses those kits regularly on customer rigs.
i run downeys and dont like them as of yet,but they will break in,and i also plan on pulling a leaf.but i would stay away from procrap anything for a cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom