1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro comp All terrains

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by nyk438, Feb 2, 2004.

1. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

Are these tires any good? I'm buying used maybe..just tires. No price set yet but I wanted to know how well these will do for trails and mud and whatever else, 33inch put on my 80 which will be lifted 2.5'' at some point. Should I go for these and then sell or wait and get 35's when i get the lift?

2. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

If you are contemplating used tires, the Pro-comps will likely be way better than what you have. They are just fine, but likely not up to the performance levels of real offroad tires. With that said, I feel obligated to clear up some misconceptions that you may have. The 33X12.5's will be borderline on the width of the rims that came on the '91. Get some advice from a real tire shop, and they are likely to reccomend 8 inch wide rims. Consider 33X10.5 which would fit and work better. You don't want an unsafe ride. Second, I'm guessing you don't have a whole lot of cash...so don't even think about 35's. a 3F-E will struggle to turn 33's on stock gearing, and 35's are out of the question. If you are determined to run 35's you will need to regear to 4.88's and to do that you will spend $2000-$2500. So ask youself now if you have enough for a new suspension ($750), tires ($1000), gears ($500), Install of the gears ($1000) and possibly an ARB or two ($1400) and see if that is realistic for you. A much cheaper, safer and more satisfactory route would be some sliders, 31X10.5 MT/R's and leave it at that. I would concentrate on making what you have work, working hard in school, and spend your money on girls, not Land Cruisers. You only get to be 18 once.

3. Rogue

Rogue

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=2;threadid=10880;start=msg97802#msg97802 date=1075735441]
    I would concentrate on making what you have work, working hard in school, and spend your money on girls, not Land Cruisers. You only get to be 18 once.
    [/quote]

What about when you are 22. Is it okay to unfocus on school, give up on girls, and spend the money on a Cruiser then? :flipoff2:

4. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

The x terrains if used could be sketchy,
    I had a set on my 91 when I first bought it and the prior owner had let them get out of balance. they cupped out pretty hard and rode like hell from then on. look for equal height on the tread blocks on the outside edge. if there is a variation there they will give you greif. as far as an off road tire I think they work pretty well. used mine in moab a few times and was happy with them mud they were not so great and in snow they were great unless you wanted to turn or to stop.
    I will disagree with the 3FE not handling 33x12.50s very well I have had mine set up like this for quite some time (30k+) and while I would like to regear it still will take 75 on the freeway unless there is a good sized hill and be fine.
    on the rims do not run a 33x12.5 on a 15x7, you are asking fopr problems, go to at least an 8 " wide rim. mine are flat black steelies and they work fine.
    Dave

5. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Well I'm having quite a different experience with my X-Terrains. These things have already saved me from a certain collision on snow/ice. But since you asked about the All terrains I wouldn't know about them. I do have a summer set of BFG AT/Kos, these things wear like iron but aren't even close to the X-Terrains in the snow.

Bought my truck used and it now has 126k on the clock and never had any tire issues. Seems tires that cup are from poor maintenance of the vehicle or neglect of the tires.

I do run 315s on stock 16" rims though, so a different size of the same tire will perform differently as well as the same tire on different rims will perform differently. So that being said I guess I really don't have anything of any value to add :slap:

6. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Don't worry rick I am not dissing on your x terrains. jsut making sure to check for bad wear if buying a used set. I just had a bad experience with them in utah snow and ice and put the old 32x10.5 bfgat on the truck after my second snow storm with the x terrains.
    I am pretty sure the ones I had were some of the first they made so they probably have them dialed in a little better now.
    Dave

7. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

I have the Pro Comp AT's on an old 4runner. Since my rig spends 95% of the time on the road (trips), for the occasional offroad excursion, they have been pretty good on hard pack dirt (severe weather rated), at least a lot better than the Dunlop rovers that were on there. Tread depth after 30K mi is still very good (5-tire cross rotations every 6-9K mi), tires are quiet on the road, fuel economy is excellent. They have a 50K mi tread warranty, and I'm sure they'll give me at least that many miles. If you're looking for a pure offroad/mud tire, you might want to look into mud terrains or swampers. Next time, I'll probably try the Bridgestone dueller revo's.

8. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Not a problem Dave. I'm just surprised that your having such a bad experience. Actually thought you got them confused with the mud terrains possibly. My wife has the BFG AT/Kos on her 4Runner as well. Even those don't compare. First thing I noticed was like half the amount of the ABS use with these. I actually bought them because of the price. Seemed like they had all the elements of a good tire so I took a shot. First mud/snow tire I've owned though so there might be better out there I wouldn't know.

9. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

I'd have to regear to get 35's? Uh, 4.10s can't handle it?

10. Rogue

Rogue

[quote author=nyk438 link=board=2;threadid=10880;start=msg98269#msg98269 date=1075778996]
    I'd have to regear to get 35's?[/quote]
    Yep.
    Um, unless you want a complete dog, nope.

11. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=10880;start=msg98276#msg98276 date=1075779490]

Yep. Um, unless you want a complete dog, nope.
    [/quote]

Define what you mean by "dog". Just goes slow or is it going to have bad effects overall on the truck.

12. dd113

dd113

FWIW: I hate Pro Comps. I had 35MTs and they tore up very quickly and we OK to good off road. I bought 33 x 12.50 X terrains. Excellent off road. One of the best I have ever driven. Really, really expensive and I lost 2 sidewalls on the first trip out. I have a set of 33 x 9.50 BFG MT that I have had on every cruiser I have ever owned since 95 and they are still going strong. Given the choice I would go with the BFGs

I run 33 x 12.50s on my 62 with no issues on gearing. I have run 35s on the truck and did notice the diference but not that much. I would get the drivetrain 100% prior to big tires.

13. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

dd113,
    how did the x-terrains wear on the road? Good mileage expected (or as good as expected for a mud tire)? How loud are they?

14. Rogue

Rogue

[quote author=nyk438 link=board=2;threadid=10880;start=msg98296#msg98296 date=1075782117]
    Define what you mean by "dog". Just goes slow or is it going to have bad effects overall on the truck.
    [/quote]

Not just slow... really slow. You only have 155 horsies pulling that thing. By putting 35s on it it will effectively change your gear ratio to 3.63. To keep stock power, you will need to go to 4.56 or 4.88s.

Does that help?

15. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Rogue is spot on here. stick with 33" tires unless you plan on regearing. I am planning on regearing to 4.56 but have not wanted to that badly. to go to 35" you should go to 4.88s to keep it moving on the freeway. also check into slees write up on 35" rubber and what needs to be done to accomplish it. I will stay at 33" as I spend a lot of time on the road so just research what your completed goal is before you start and you will save yourself a lot of time and money.
    Dave

16. nyk438

nyk438 Guest

Yes thanks! :)

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=10880;start=msg98475#msg98475 date=1075827062]
    Not just slow... really slow. You only have 155 horsies pulling that thing. By putting 35s on it it will effectively change your gear ratio to 3.63. To keep stock power, you will need to go to 4.56 or 4.88s.

Does that help?
    [/quote]

17. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=10880;start=msg98069#msg98069 date=1075759434]
    Not a problem Dave. I'm just surprised that your having such a bad experience. Actually thought you got them confused with the mud terrains possibly. My wife has the BFG AT/Kos on her 4Runner as well. Even those don't compare. First thing I noticed was like half the amount of the ABS use with these. I actually bought them because of the price. Seemed like they had all the elements of a good tire so I took a shot. First mud/snow tire I've owned though so there might be better out there I wouldn't know.
    [/quote]

On the 4runner forum, I've heard the BFG AT's are great for the first half of their treadlife, then suck afterwards.