Prioritization of maintenance on my '02 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my truck a few months ago and haven't actually gotten around to any of the routine maintenance, except for an oil change. New heater Ts are sitting in the garage. Now I don't use this thing offroad and essentially I bought it as a beater, but I don't want to neglect it, either. I have limited time and most things about equally straddle the overlap between 'worth doing it myself' vs 'paying a mechanic'.

When last I had it in for an oil change, and had them lube the zerks, this was the 'report' I got from the mechanic; obviously I need to do the fluids, just wondering what I should prioritize. I guess I'm asking what's easiest so I can tackle it first, and what's urgent so maybe I can have the mechanic do it.

1599598823232.png

I was thinking:
-engine air filter (this should be easy)
-replacing steering fluid
-replacing brake fluid
-flushing coolant
-replace transfer case/diff fluid
-spark plugs

What does 'fuel system cleaning' entail?

And re: the tie rod, I probably wouldn't touch anything that involves messing with steering/suspension. Is it important to take care of now? How would I know?

Last edited:
Get the inner CV boot leak resolved. Fluids and filters you can tackle, perhaps with a buddy for the brake bleeding. Since you have an 02, the tranny fluid exchange can be done via a write-up by 2001LC on here - it isn't hard on the 4spd tranny.

Might as well get a 54mm socket and learn how to repack/replace your front wheel bearings too. Many mechanics who are not overly familiar with the Hundy don't realize it is a regular service item as well.

... just wondering what I should prioritize. I guess I'm asking what's easiest so I can tackle it first
All of the following are easily DIYable in a weekend with Google and basic hand tools:

Mobile 1 75w-90 in front diff, rear diff and center. Trans drain and fill (2 or 3x if the fluid is dark). Spark plugs. Engine air filter, cabin air filters x2 (if LX), fuel filter, brake fluid, power steering fluid, AHC fluid (if LX), wiper blades and replace the PCV. Throw some Techron in the tank for a 'fuel system cleaning', spray off the MAF and clean the throttle body if you are feeling generous. If the timing belt was done recently, I wouldn't worry about the cooling system apart from changing the tees. Pick up a gallon of Toyota red to top it up when you swap the tees.

And re: the tie rod, I probably wouldn't touch anything that involves messing with steering/suspension. Is it important to take care of now? How would I know?
If you jack a front wheel off the ground and can wiggle it side to side, that is probably loose tie rod ends. Look for movement in the rod that connects the back of the knuckle to the steering rack. Inner = rack end, outer = knuckle side. If you don't know how bad it is, get it done sooner rather than later. Broken TREs = Big Crunch.

If the CV is torn, replace with OEM. If it is just seeping around the boot, then a tighter clamp may do the trick. If it doesn't make any noise yet, you may get away with rebuilding/rebooting it but I probably wouldn't.

At this age, the front suspension needs a good checkover. If they have not already, I would check the front diff bushings, CVs, Upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar end links, wheel bearing preload, front brakes, hubs, steering rack, etc. If this has all been done, and all that was found was a leaky CV and a TRE then that is either good news, or and indication that it wasn't examined very closely. Anything in this general area that needs doing is worth doing all in one shot, preferably by someone who knows the trucks. You'll want an alignment after it is done.

Congrats on the new ride. Sounds like a nice example.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom