Priorities: update or sell the 62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just re read your original post, so it's 25 miles each way right. What kind of 25 miles is it...easy straight shot on the highway?...stop and go grinding traffic? Lots of stop lights etc?
If it's a relatively easy 25 miles, then 25 miles one way in a decent shape 62 just isn't much to worry about, sit back and enjoy the ride. If it is a tough 25 miles each way I can see where it might get a little taxing in an old rig....taxing on you and the old rig.

That said, there was a time several years ago for various reasons I went back to daily driving my 62 in a busy sales job. We are in a huge metropolitan area. I flogged the absolute sh*t out of that thing daily to the point I thought I was overdoing it at times. It never once complained or let me down. Still running like a top years later. Yes a more modern vehicle would've been much nicer for that purpose, but my 62 got the job done. Guess it comes down to your comfort level/needs.

The cheap used commuter car is a good idea too, and it's nice to not have to finish that Cruiser project before you need it Monday morning.

I agree with those who said to spend some time on the brakes. I have stock brakes and they work fine. It's really easy to drive around forever with 3 of 8 front brake pistons working and think the brakes kinda suck. Go through everything and they will get better. Calipers, pistons, discs, hardware, master cylinder should really all be replaced if they've never been done.

Also make sure there's no leaks in the brake vacuum system. That can make them suck as well. Literally.

Greasing the suspension leaves can make the ride smoother as well.

What @Haggis said... Get a $4k Corolla or Camry. Arguably the other most reliable cars out there. That’s what I would do before I dd my 60 or bought a $40k taco. Keep all those street miles off your rig except for driving yourself and loved ones to the dirt.

And if I was going to do what you are thinking I would buy 98/99 100 series for under $10k.

Or...
Tundra brakes
New seats - so many options
New shocks and new TRE’s
Fresh rubber
Freshen heating and AC

Why does it have to be a brand new $40k Taco? The later 2nd gens are great trucks, even the early ones are good despite the frame rusting issue, but if it has been recalled or if there is no rust on it it isn't a big deal. I previously had a '12 Tacoma and loved it, I miss it but I ended up with an awesome '89 Land Cruiser that will never be sold. I would do whatever I could to not have to sell the Cruiser.

Decision time.

Due to some changes in work/life, the 62 is in line to be more of a daily driver for a daily 50-mile round trip highway commute. Last weekend, I drove a brand new TRD Taco and I'll admit I was smitten. Having tight brakes and steering, a comfortable interior, no rattles, and most (if not all) the off-road capability of the 62 got me within a breath of signing the papers. But $40K for a truck I'll be nervous about scratching on the trail made me pause.

So I set myself an arbitrary budget of $4,000 with which to ask: can I make the 62 more DD-friendly for 10% the cost of the Taco? I'm looking for the 'Mud hive mind's suggestions for best bang for buck spent. This is NOT about making it more capable off-road. It's well suited for what I do as it sits. This is about making it a bit safer and comfortable to drive for 90 minutes every day. I'm assuming to leave engine swaps out of the equation at this price. Let's leave out fuel economy as well. Yes, the 62 is thirsty, but the cheaper insurance and tags almost close the gap on a new truck at my mileage. It's a solid 215K mile specimen: zero structural rust (thank you, Oregon desert!), no codes, solid running engine, straight body with only surface scars, never a single breakdown.

Recent work:
  • New light/mid duty OME springs/bushings/shocks with 2" lift
  • Newish brakes with flush/bleed
  • Tightened up steering adjustment and recent alignment and tie rod ends
  • New gaskets and drivetrain fluid flushes
  • Upgraded electrical harness and E-code headlights
  • 31" BFGs on stock rims
Main issues in order of importance:
  1. Underwhelming braking
  2. Vague steering/tracking
  3. Petrified seat belts
  4. Light murmur coming from 3rd member
  5. Unknown condition of birfields/bearings
  6. Terrible seat comfort
  7. Occasional "clunk" out of 2nd gear
  8. Stiff ride
  9. Unknown upcoming repair/maintenance?
  10. Noisy and worn interior
  11. Hard to roll down (manual) windows

How would you guys allocate the $4K? Or would you just go for the Tacoma and sell?

As others have said I would likely buy a beater to at least drive some days to work. That's essentially why I have my LS 430 (luxury beater).

Having said that, upgrades to the brakes on a 60 series are available and make a huge difference IMO. On my old 60 @orangefj45 and his crew upgraded the master cylinder and put on slotted rotors etc. The brakes were night and day before and after. I would attribute most of that to the cylinder which greatly changed brake pedal "feel". In my experience it was money well spent and I don't think the parts themselves are prohibitively expensive if you are providing the labor. For a commuter vehicle I would definitely start there.

Thanks for all the responses so far, folks.

The value of a beater commuter cannot be overstated.

Good idea, but not realistic for me. The hassle of more insurance, maintenance and urban parking isn't worth it. The idea is to have one vehicle that does it all: commuter, grocery-getter, light off-roader.

I've dived into a few brake upgrade threads here, ranging from MC replacement to SS lines, all the way to 4runner calipers and discs. Not quite clear on how far to take things. Is there definitive "best-bang-for-your-buck" thread with proven results?

I've also heard that I just need to properly flush and bleed the OEM brakes, but after investing in a new Aisin MC, new soft lines, pads, caliper rebuilds, drum shoes and adjustments and about a gallon of fluid flushed through, I still cannot lock up the wheels on dry pavement. And I had the work checked twice by a brake shop. It's not spongy pedal, just lack of stopping power.

Last edited:
And if I was going to do what you are thinking I would buy 98/99 100 series for under $10k.

[/QUOTE]
^^^ this

I commuted in my 80 (a glorified 62) and It kinda sucked..the 100 is all Land Cruiser and is the closest to your one vehicle requirement.

My $.02

I, among others on this board, have a very busy work and home life. the satisfaction I get daily driving Roscoe, my 62, is hard to measure. I have thought about a little commuter as an option (and it is a very practical option), but the romance of cruising in a vintage land cruiser wagon to and from work equates to taking the time each day to meditate. Spiritual stuff!

I would get the rig a bit more dialed in, and just drive it. Let everyone else around you be in a hurry...

Good luck with whatever you choose, man!

I've also heard that I just need to properly flush and bleed the OEM brakes, but after investing in a new Aisin MC, new soft lines, pads, caliper rebuilds, drum shoes and adjustments and about a gallon of fluid flushed through, I still cannot lock up the wheels on dry pavement. And I had the work checked twice by a brake shop. It's not spongy pedal, just lack of stopping power.

I use Terrain Tamer brake parts from Cruiser Brothers. Drilled and slotted front discs, 4RNR calipers with Terrain Tamer pads, OEM master and booster. Rebuilt entire rear brake systems and proper adjustment. Install new proportioning valve and ditch that POS Toyota used at the rear axle. I put 430 HP motors in 60/62, they have to be able to stop too. Check out the video below at 6:25 minutes.

It can be done :)

I drove the LC to work today, and getting onto I5, I happen to merge right in front of an older 60. Nice stock-ish specimen, with a few battle scars and a 3" lift on 31" pizza cutters, not unlike my stance. There we were, two 30+ year old not-garage queen rigs, one white one red, chugging along in the right lane for almost the whole commute, occasionally passing each other with a knowing glance. I'd forgotten how nice that can feel. You don't see two in one spot every day, even here in the PNW (aka the land that rust forgot).

Can you guess which way I'm leaning?

I drove the LC to work today, and getting onto I5, I happen to merge right in front of an older 60. Nice stock-ish specimen, with a few battle scars and a 3" lift on 31" pizza cutters, not unlike my stance. There we were, two 30+ year old not-garage queen rigs, one white one red, chugging along in the right lane for almost the whole commute, occasionally passing each other with a knowing glance. I'd forgotten how nice that can feel. You don't see two in one spot every day, even here in the PNW (aka the land that rust forgot).

You just painted a beautiful picture!

I have that happen from time to time i live and drive on the main hwy to a turrist spot call outer banks nc last one i saw we were both going south i was going slightly faster came up on the same exact color but stock in nice shape no tinted windows it was an older couple i would say late 70s with all there stuff for a beach vacation windows rolled up chilln in the ac i pasted by with a smile looked over both of them were smiling we gave a wave about 5 miles later i pulled in my driveway and they proceeded on with there vacation on the obx. They were driving a 60 i have a 62. They probably have had it from new and have probably been vacationing down here for years and years in the 60.

I think to myself sometimes "what the hell am I doing driving around in this 35 year old truck? Am I nuts?" I have a son, a wife, a daily commute to a 9-5. What am I doing here? And then someone stops me while getting gas and starts asking me questions about it. Or I'll catch a glimpse of it sitting in just the right setting and say to myself, "now that's a cool truck right there". Or maybe I'll get the periodic friendly nod of appreciation for what I am driving from a fellow commuter. You'll never get that sort of thing from new vehicle.

I keep waiting for mine to do something catastrophic to give me some reason to unload it, some reason why I should move on to a newer vehicle. It just never does. It gets me to and from my 32 mile one way commute every day, and looks so much cooler than a newer vehicle doing it. Keep it. You will thank yourself later.

So many smiles per miles with my 60. Im swapping out almost everything brake related mine next week.
Its kinda the last thing on the truck to be baselined for me.

Yes. You should absolutely sell it so someone else can experience the feeling.

I have no complaints with the 62 other than its acceleration getting onto the freeway. hahaha.

Well, if my memory serves me correctly, in Seattle proper, on I-5, you're never really "accelerating" anyway...🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom