1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing Digital Photos at Home

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by OZCAL, Jul 23, 2005.

1. OZCAL

OZCAL

Can someone give me the lowdown on printing digital photos? I use a Hewlett Packard Photosmart 2710 printer, and Hewlett Packard Premium Plus Glossy Photo Paper. The prints are beautiful, but they run and smudge if touched. What can be done to prevent this?

Thanks,

David

2. 3puttcop

3puttcop

Just let it dry for a while!

3. OZCAL

OZCAL

I do let it dry, but what I mean is how you can't let it get wet at all even weeks later. At some point do these photos become watertight like professionally developed prints?

4. miked

miked

maybe switch to a dye sublimation printer.
    i've been lucky enough to play with a designjet 130 at work. with the right paper, the dye is lightfast to just over 80 years. i have the same problem with smudging but only while its wet. takes awhile to dry unfortunatly but not a week. have you tried setting it to use a bit less ink?

5. WALoeIII

WALoeIII

I still think the best deal is to get your photos printed professionally - they can do this for the same price as a normal roll of film, but you just bring them a CD.

6. trainrech

trainrech

I'd suggest going online and using Walmart or another local processor. You can get one hour prints for $0.24 which (if I recall earlier discussions correctly) is actually cheaper than printing at home.

7. OZCAL

OZCAL

Trainrech and Waloe, thanks, unfortunately I'm in Australia and would pay a lot of postage...still might be worth it.

8. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Remember the KnightRider!

Media:
    Albums:
    I've used a few different combo's and so far the only one that I found works is an Epson Stylus CX6600 printer with Epson Durabrite ink and Durabrite paper. I set it for max quality photo print so it prints real slow. The photos DO NOT smudge or run and they are the best quality home pics I have seen.
    I tried to use Kodak paper with this printer and ink. I got really bad photos, the ink cracked on the paper. It looked like an old fashioned photo or something. I got OK photos on my Canon with Kodak paper, but if they got wet it was over. I tried other paper and ink with my Canon and then tried HP. The all Epson combo is the best for me.
    BTW, I do not work for Epson, just my experience. :cheers: