Printed Official Repair Manuals - Still Needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Thinking about buying a set of four official Toyota Repair Manuals for my 2009 Cruiser for basic DIY jobs.... old school printed books. It has been over 20 years since I have worked on vehicles such that I needed a repair manual, but they used to be totally required. What about now days though? Have these all moved online in electronic format? Curious as to everyone's thoughts... do you still use printed manuals or is there a digital source? Thanks in advance!

Yeah, there’s a thread on the front page right now where you can get the fsm for all years and models.
If you need a section in hard copy - can always print it.
Being able to search a section for a term or word is really helpful.
You can also take it with you if you take a computer on trips (and put techstream on that computer too).

Given the amount of material that is in the electronic copy, the printed version must be absolutely enormous.

In all honesty I’m a little surprised there even would be a hard copy available. The industry has been moving toward electronic manuals for some time.

Yeah, there’s a thread on the front page right now where you can get the fsm for all years and models.
If you need a section in hard copy - can always print it.
Being able to search a section for a term or word is really helpful.
You can also take it with you if you take a computer on trips (and put techstream on that computer too).
Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. But, I am having a heck of a time locating the FSM thread. Can I get a link?

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. But, I am having a heck of a time locating the FSM thread. Can I get a link?
Page six is where the most recent iteration gets going. BitTorrent, etc.

200 manual is gigantic so that’s something to consider. I’ve always had a professionally bound & printed paper manual by my side when working on my vehicle (FJ60). I tried a laptop and iPad down at the car and both of those methods are total losers when you’ve got dirty fingers.
It’s best to have both (or a fast efficient laser printer and tons of paper).

Get the digital copy and print out just the pages you need as you need them. If you tried to print the FSM in the link above, it's about 7000 pages just for the repair manual. The wiring diagrams would be even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom