Prinsu w/ 270 Awning - mount AluCab or Eezi Awn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After speaking with Prinsu/CBI, their customer service told me 1) Prinsu mounts don’t work with ANY 270 awning and 2) they don’t recommend mounting 270 awnings to their racks. I couldn’t get a straight answer as to why.

I have seen plenty of people here with 270s on their 200 series but who has either an Eezi Awn Bat 270 or an Alu Cab Shadow mounted to a Prinsu rack? How did you mount it?

thanks, and apologies if someone easily links to exact answer that I have somehow missed searching for this answer on Mud.

Following.

Prinsu racks are one of my favs because they look sleek, modular, functional, low profile, aluminum, and always available. But they are not good for 270 (+) awnings. The frame rails are thin (hence the sleek low profile design) and the weight of the pivot where the 90 degree turn on the awning is is just too much weight and the frame could bend. If you have an Alu Cab RTT, then it’s not an issue with the Alu Cab Shadow Awn because the awn mounts to the tent and the tent is obviously rigid enough for the weight.
I am not an awning expert, but I have some experience with 270/360 awnings and they are so heavy, you really need a bulky roof rack (Gamiviti, Gobi, Front Runner, Rhino Rack, Dissent, etc...)

With that all said: there may be some new lighter weigh awning out that may work that I don’t know about. I would suggest consulting Joost at Rhino Adventure Gear in San Diego / San Francisco. (No affiliation with Rhino Rack) he is an expert in RTT/awning and overland gear.

Keep in mind that most 270 awnings will interfere with the opening of your rear hatch. If you want to avoid that “conflict” you might consider an Eezi Awn Swift. It’s light enough for your Prinsu and can be opened in a moderate breeze without using the legs.

Keep in mind that most 270 awnings will interfere with the opening of your rear hatch. If you want to avoid that “conflict” you might consider an Eezi Awn Swift. It’s light enough for your Prinsu and can be opened in a moderate breeze without using the legs.

Fantastic awning, the only drawback is you can't adjust it much for lean to deflect driven wind/rain or to help drain falling rain/snow because of the fixed arms. That said, it might be the best standard awning on the market.

Prinsu racks are one of my favs because they look sleek, modular, functional, low profile, aluminum, and always available. But they are not good for 270 (+) awnings. The frame rails are thin (hence the sleek low profile design) and the weight of the pivot where the 90 degree turn on the awning is is just too much weight and the frame could bend. If you have an Alu Cab RTT, then it’s not an issue with the Alu Cab Shadow Awn because the awn mounts to the tent and the tent is obviously rigid enough for the weight.
I am not an awning expert, but I have some experience with 270/360 awnings and they are so heavy, you really need a bulky roof rack (Gamiviti, Gobi, Front Runner, Rhino Rack, Dissent, etc...)

With that all said: there may be some new lighter weigh awning out that may work that I don’t know about. I would suggest consulting Joost at Rhino Adventure Gear in San Diego / San Francisco. (No affiliation with Rhino Rack) he is an expert in RTT/awning and overland gear.
I really appreciate the input. The excessive stress on the “pivot” that’s necessitated by the 270 design may well be too much for the purposefully slender rails. This was my best guess as well when I heard Prinsu on the phone.

I am so exceedingly happy with the rack’s build and (most important) quiet that I won’t complain at all. It’s fantastic.

however, given the popularity of these awnings I really hope to see a Prinsu solution to extent one can be engineered. Until then, maybe I’ll look for some other awning design options.

and the weight of the pivot where the 90 degree turn on the awning is is just too much weight and the frame could bend.
Are you talking about be 90 degree bend for the Prinsu side rail “feet”?
This is how I had my batwing (compact) mounted. It weights 40lbs, and never noticed any sort of deflection.

1615140241144.jpeg
1615140268241.jpeg

9A69633A-90C3-4E6B-AFA1-7DBB5D66E791.jpeg

I am running an Ostrich Wing Jr on my Prinsu. I am using a combination of brackets. One Prinsu awning bracket for the front mount, as I needed some additional clearance to be able to mount the Zarges boxes. For the other two mounts, I am using Kaon's adjustable brackets. I haven't noticed any excessive flex or issues.

Prinsu bracket.jpg

Kaon bracket.jpg

Both good ideas and helpful to my current conundrum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom