Prinsu roof rack - similar style and company for 60s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are also a lot of non-80/20 extrusion manufacturers out there (some are cheaper too).
I thought 80/20 holds the patent for this type material. There have been knock offs but they get shot down pretty quick

I thought 80/20 holds the patent for this type material. There have been knock offs but they get shot down pretty quick

P,

Not sure on patent. I know Misumi has been making and selling it for years. I had several custom aluminum extrusions made in Salt Lake by Futura Industries and they had the 80/20 (double 2 x 1) on the wall as a stocked material, that was 5 years ago and they still offer it.

J

P,

Not sure on patent. I know Misumi has been making and selling it for years. I had several custom aluminum extrusions made in Salt Lake by Futura Industries and they had the 80/20 (double 2 x 1) on the wall as a stocked material, that was 5 years ago and they still offer it.

J

It looks like 8020 is very aggressive about anyone infringing on their trademark for the extrusion, so I assume the patent is out but just can't be referred to the 8020 brand. I have a customer that purchased from an 8020 competitor and the competitor was eliminated for infringing. Likely the trademark though.

Sorry Super Late to the party. Mine was a prototype 60 rack, but I spoke with Zach and his normal day job has exploded and he actually sold his designs and business to CBI.

Sorry Super Late to the party. Mine was a prototype 60 rack, but I spoke with Zach and his normal day job has exploded and he actually sold his designs and business to CBI.
thanks for the info! i'm glad Zach's doing well with his main job. Bummer that he sold to CBI though. i'm not a fan of CBI.
I'm trying to buy the prototype rack from it's current owner. we'll see if he is willing to part with it.

Dave is a cool guy pretty reasonable to work with. I sold the truck to him and he's taken really good care of it. I believe he has my old Gamiviti feet and load bars I originally made for my tepui tent before the Prinsu Rack too.

PM me if you want his cell. He's trying to sell old blue as it wasn't a good fit for his kiddo.

Dave is a cool guy pretty reasonable to work with. I sold the truck to him and he's taken really good care of it. I believe he has my old Gamiviti feet and load bars I originally made for my tepui tent before the Prinsu Rack too.

PM me if you want his cell. He's trying to sell old blue as it wasn't a good fit for his kiddo.
We've been communicating through FB messenger when I saw old blue for sale on UTOR I messaged him right away asking if he would part with the rack. He is gonna try to sell the rig as a package deal first, then he may part out the rack to me. fingers crossed! haha

@drew151 Really like the look of that low profile Baja...their website does not show the flat rack you have for the 60, only for the 80. Is yours a discontinued item or something? ...or did I miss it on their site?

I just bumped my thread from a few years ago when I was figuring this all out.

Like that rack a lot. Didn't know they made that style rack for a 60. Details?

-Ed

@drew151 Really like the look of that low profile Baja...their website does not show the flat rack you have for the 60, only for the 80. Is yours a discontinued item or something? ...or did I miss it on their site?

You can search this thread "confused about Baja Racks for 60 series"

Can Rhino Racks be bought in the US?
This is my 4th or 5th different brand on as many different cars, and is my favourite by far! Low profile, bolt-on side bars, adj (and can add on more) gutter mounts, strong, plenty of accessories, etc...

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

Reactions: PCC
I was finally to persuade the previous owner to part-out the rack to me! woo!

I figure since CBI is taking over Prinsu there's no telling when or if the 60 series rack will be made. Hopefully they make it soon and readily stock it, but I didn't want to take that chance.

Here's some more photos of the rack in case any of you were curious how it looks!

20170710_205321.jpg

20170710_205335 (1).jpg

20170710_205346.jpg

20170710_205408.jpg

Amigos,

felt compelled to share my Prinsu experience...

I was one of 3 that he built for the Fj60. first was a prototype, then he made 2, one for myself, one for a friend.

I dont normally share dirt on a vendor.. (everyone deserves a second chance right?) but my experience was awful, so I'll share.

I realize mine was a 2nd off run, but the design or cuts were flawed. It arrived warped or poorly cut towards the rear of the gutter rails. Missing hardware, and the clamps didn't fit. Prinsu assumed the same gutter clamps for the 80 series would work, so he just sent those. Wrong. had to create new ones.

meanwhile all of this took greater than 6 months to make happen.. so I was left out SOL.

Rack still doesn't fit well, but well enough to make it work. I plan on taking it to a custom fabricator / welder to have him correct it.

All in all it looks amazing. but it was a pretty bad experience. Maybe the new owners of Prinsu will fix these issues.

I emailed them 6 months ago about a 60 rack and was notified it would not be built. I like the design as well and have a need when I have my maggiolina installed. I really like how it spreads the load across the whole gutter and eliminates the possibility of back and forth rocking like regular gutter mounts have.

This is my 4th or 5th different brand on as many different cars, and is my favourite by far! Low profile, bolt-on side bars, adj (and can add on more) gutter mounts, strong, plenty of accessories, etc...

View attachment 1492116

View attachment 1492117

View attachment 1492118

View attachment 1492119

Really like eth looks of this rack !

View attachment 1492116

View attachment 1492117

View attachment 1492118

View attachment 1492119

Really like the look of the Rhino Rack. Can't find it on their US website (unfortunately)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom