Prinsu Roof Rack Question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the market for a roof rack and I have it narrowed down between the Bowfin rack and Prinsu rack. Reading older posts regarding the Prinsu rack, it seems that the mounting bracket was not constructed very well and some users reported that it would bend during install. Some also reported that the bolt / mounting bracket for the rain gutter would hang down far enough to interfere with the door opening. For those that have recently bought and installed a Prinsu rack, is this issue still common?

I read where some inverted the bolt for the gutter mount as a viable solution for the mentioned door interference

Not to throw a monkey wrench in the machine, but have you checked out the new ARB ones? SIZES & GUARD RAIL SYSTEMS ?

I'lm also in the market and narrowed it down to the same two as you did, but then saw the ARB announcement, and am leaning that way.

I've had my prinsu rack for almost 5 years now and have never had an issue with any part of the rack. IMO, the issues others have had with the mounting was user error. Over tightening the mounting brackets can make them bend. They really don't have to be that tight, just snug. The bolts interfering with the doors is also a non-issue with proper placement/adjustment of the brackets. I've been very happy with the Prinsu rack.
IMG_4997 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

All that said, The Bowfin mounting solution is a better design. Very similar design otherwise. I think you'll be happy with either one. Bowfin is a cruiserhead company with a vested interest in the cruiser community and has supported it for years. It's always good to support a MUD member too. ;)
Nothing against Prinsu (I got mine before the company was sold to CBI) but they are a bit more focused on other non-cruiser platforms. Again, I think you'll be very happy with either one.

Not to throw a monkey wrench in the machine, but have you checked out the new ARB ones? SIZES & GUARD RAIL SYSTEMS ?

I'lm also in the market and narrowed it down to the same two as you did, but then saw the ARB announcement, and am leaning that way.
Interesting new rack from ARB. Big improvement over the ones they've had in the past IMO. However, the t-slot crossbars on the Prinsu and Bowfin racks are extremely useful for securing stuff to the rack, which is more important with a flat platform rack. The ARB seems to be missing something similar with their design.

I have a Prinsu rack. I like the style/design, but the brackets could be better. I think one of my bolts have bent and a few brackets that attach the rain gutter have bent slightly. Yet I still really like the Prinsu (owned for 4-5 years) and would recommend, the Bowfin brackets appear the be more sturdy and "beefier"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom