Priming Oil to the Rockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Perhaps I'm not recalling correctly - obviously, it turns in the same direction as the distributor.

I am running the drill clockwise on my 2F engine. It is filling up the oil filter and I can hear the oil flowing back down when I turn off the drill so I think it is working. I just have to get things to line up to make sure I can get oil to the rockers before I kick it over. My drill does start to heat up pretty quick. There is extra resistance on the drill when it starts to push the oil.

I am questioning why CCW would work? Maybe the oil pump works either way? In any case I want to do it the same way the engine is going to do it and the dizzy turns clockwise.

Hey @Rock40 , you should have quoted SteveH, who can't remember which way to turn the oil pump, instead of me poking some fun at his 'memory'. I was going to suggest that maybe it's CCW in Australia, but there are a few on here who would write that down...:rofl:

@mrtodds77 ,

SteveH's comment on CCW was wrong, and he acknowledged it in post 21.

You are correct, the distributor turns clockwise, the pump turns clockwise, and turning it CCW only blows bubbles in the oil pan.

Any updates? Hoping that you struck oil! post a pic of the rocker arm positions when the oil is flowing. I'm very interested.

I was able to look at my old cam shaft and found that the #10 rocker arm is the one that when fully open lines up the cam holes so the oil can flow up to the rockers. So I advanced the valves until it was open and then put my drill in the dizzy and very quickly I had oil oozing out all the ports in the rocker arm. I’ll post a picture of my cam tomorrow.

I feel better now knowing that the oil will actually get up to the rocker arms and that there is nothing blocking the oil path and I feel like I will be ok to start it up now.

But that will have to be tomorrow.

2FA6A27D-6A88-4308-B518-47F469C39EB0.jpeg
0E42343F-18C5-4742-B9A7-BF167F44F1F6.jpeg

So here’s my pictures of my old cam. There are a couple of holes in the cam that line up to allow oil to flow up into the rockers. So this means that both 10 & 11 rockers when fully open line up to allow oil to flow to the rockers. 1 & 2 might do it as well but my cam was broken so I can’t tell tell how those ones might be aligned.

I finally got my FJ all running. Woot Woot! The timing issue was because the dizzy was a few steps off. All that priming the oil and taking the dizzy in and out made it a little off. Once I got the B.B. in the window i knew I was close. Happy Thanksgiving! And thanks to everyone who gave me a few pointers along the way. Last year I blew my enjine on my FJ40 the day after Thanksgiving. So it’s been a long road back but finally ready to hit the trails again.

View attachment 1577125 View attachment 1577124

So here’s my pictures of my old cam. There are a couple of holes in the cam that line up to allow oil to flow up into the rockers. So this means that both 10 & 11 rockers when fully open line up to allow oil to flow to the rockers. 1 & 2 might do it as well but my cam was broken so I can’t tell tell how those ones might be aligned.

I'm going through this now and am experiencing everything you've mentioned so far minus actually having the oil come out of the rockers. So I need to make sure 10 and 11 are fully open in order to get the oil to flow, is that right?

I also recall discussions on this in the past, but I don’t recall if they led to a definitive answer on how to line up the holes. I have only spun my pump 4 or 5 times over two decades but never did anything to line up the cam holes and I always got oil up top. Seems unlikely that I just got lucky each time. Thinking back, my pump priming would have most likely followed a cold valve adjust so the engine would have been sitting at one of the TDC’s. (compression vs exhaust). Maybe it’s that or maybe oil was just making it around the bearing? I don’t know. I hope this gets answered.

I really hope this gets answered too. I've spun the oil pump several times now and still nothing coming out the top. I put it 2nd gear and rocked it back a little to move the crank and try to align the cam lobe as described, but I don't think it is lined up right or something. I'm a little frustrated to say the least. I'd like to give it another start to see if I've primed it enough that it starts coming out at the rockers as expected. But I worry about damaging the motor.

I’ve never had trouble getting oil to trickle from the rocker oil holes, while spinning with a drill.

But, it seems others have had trouble getting oil to the rockers, due to the dissy out by 180*, or the head gasket on wrong.

You should be seeing oil pressure, at a minimum, while spinning...if your oil pump isn’t dead.

With the dissy seated, try rotating the dissy 180*, then pull the dissy and spin the oil pump again.

There are more links at the top of THIS

Last edited:
I’ve never had trouble getting oil to trickle from the rocker oil holes, while spinning with a drill.

But, it seems others have had trouble getting oil to the rockers, due to the dissy out by 180*, or the head gasket on wrong.

You should be seeing oil pressure, at a minimum, while spinning...if your oil pump isn’t dead.

With the dissy seated, try rotating the dissy 180*, then pull the dissy and spin the oil pump again.

There are more links at the top of THIS
Are you saying I should see the oil pressure go up on the dash gauge? I can feel some extra resistance whenever I turn it with the drill, however the gauge, I'm told by my daughter, does not move.
Could the gauge be faulty or the oil pump be faulty? As far as I know the pump used to work fine. Is it common they can go out?

At this point I am getting frustrated and losing motivation because I'm still not getting the oil up top that needs to be.

I read a bunch of posts and reasons why the oil would not come up, but they have been different.

Here is everything I've done so far:
1. Checked that the rocker rail is installed correctly.
2. Turned oil pump with screwdriver several times with no oil coming out of rockers.
3. Turned oil pump then rock vehicle back to rotate crank slightly then turn oil pump again and still no oil.
4. Removed rail and turn oil pump to see if oil comes out of hole, there was no oil coming out.
5. Blew some air down the hole to see if it was plugged up, then turned the oil pump again and still no oil.
6. The oil filter does get filled with oil when I turn the oil pump.
7. I even used a syringe to pour oil down the hole from above the head. The oil slowly goes down.
8. Verified through pictures and just from my memory that the head gasket was positioned correct.

Last edited:
I have the F.5 which has the same oil system as the 2F. My oil pressure gauge port is located in the drivers side block a little above the block coolant drain. When I had the wrong head gasket on and the oil hole was blocked, spinning the pump got no oil up top but it would rapidly raise the oil pressure to 60 psi or more on my mechanical gauge. I could even spin it with a screw driver between my two hands and raise the pressure on the gauge.

Even if your head gasket was upside down and the hole was blocked, I feel sure you would still get pressure to the gauge.

The oil pressure sender is right below the oil filter on the oil filter housing. If you removed the sender and then primed the pump oil will come out that hole.
Do you know if the pipe from the oil pump was connected to the block!

9A035FE2-AAA1-47C8-B079-DF23BC3C48DD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom