Priming Oil to the Rockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was looking online and I think this is the oil pressure sensor right off the oil cooler. Can anyone confirm this? It is a CA spec 40 keep that in mind.
1598067206830.png

I agree with @Steamer, if you spin the oil pump clockwise, with a drill, you should see oil pressure on the gauge. Rudi tells you all about gauges and senders in THIS LINK.

As @Travis 76 said, remove the oil pressure sender and turn the pump with a screwdriver and oil should come out the sender hole.

It’s really looking like your oil pump died. Any part can fail, but most last a long time. If yours is the original pump, ~40 years is a long time.

I'm going through this now and am experiencing everything you've mentioned so far minus actually having the oil come out of the rockers. So I need to make sure 10 and 11 are fully open in order to get the oil to flow, is that right?
Yes that is what I did.

Yes that is what I did.
Thank you. I couldn't for whatever reason get this lined up and/or get the oil coming up. So what I ended up doing was spinning the drill for a little bit, then with dist. unplugged I had my wife turn the key and after 10 seconds or so, it started coming out the top. A cheat I guess, but it worked for me.
Thanks for the response, I had been reading up on this for like a week trying everything I saw so thanks for posting your input for me to search.

Glad it’s all good now and you didn’t have to drop the pan.
However the position/alignment question is still out there. Maybe it’ll get answered someday.

Good news!

So in general, for future reference, the concept of priming the oil pump prior to having the distributor drive the pump doesn't make much sense since when you drain the oil for an oil change each time you'd have to pull the distributor and prime the pump again. Which isn't the case. And if there's residual oil somewhere that keeps the pump primed, that would mean you're not completely draining the old oil at the oil change, again that doesn't make sense. My two cents, when initiating a first start start after engine work, is to seat the distributor properly, manually oil the valve train by dribbling oil over everything, then with the coil disconnected and a fresh battery, turn over the motor till you see oil (as you did). Put on the valve cover and put some miles on the rig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom