Priming/Hand pump does not suck diesel fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Start with the simplest thing. I had a simillar problem and it ended up being the fuel water separator on the inside of the frame rail, pass side. I took it off to clean and forgot to add the tiny bleedeer screw at the top. If you happened to restore that part or took it off during your restore, maybe you forgot to add the tiny bleeder.
Also, what they ^^^ said

I wanted to buy a brand new pump for my Hiace but the specific one is out of production. Instead I was able to source a similar pump used in a Toyota Hilux. Upfront I knew there would be some slight design changes and here they are:

38521652kj.jpg

In my Hiace pump the inlet and outlet both point straight downwards. In the Hilux pump (as pictured), the inlet and outlet point at approx 45 deg towards each other.

Does anyone know how I can rearrange the inlet and outlet to point straight down? When looking at the pump body it does not seem that any threads are present and they are somehow pressed into the body - but maybe I am wrong. Is there a way forward without wrecking the pump?

Lucas

Why cant you just plug your fuel lines in like that? Some fuel filter heads do have barbs that cab be undone, not sure about these.
Im guessing if they are threaded and you move them to a different position, they will no longer be airtight.

Last edited:
II agree with filling the filter with diesel 1st, but I was having problems with my hand pump, as well. I just hooked up a brake bleeder / Mityvac to the fuel filter housing, and in like 5 squeezes fuel was coming out of the filter. Just a thought versus pumping more than necessary without luck. Seemed to work well in a pinch.

I recently had this problem. I disconnected and moved my fuel filter and then needed to restart with dry lines. The primer pump did not seem to work(it wouldn't pump up and down) so I relied on the trick I use for all diesels that run dry of fuel: Keep a spray can of wd40 in the vehicle. If you run it dry, after refilling spray some WD40 down the intake to act as the initial fuel. Try to start and is should run and fire of the WD40 for a several seconds before dieing. If you have 2 people then have the other person spray a shot of wd40 in the intake again before it dies. Keep doing this until the fuel pumps in the vehicle have sucked fuel and filled the lines and it's running on it's own. When I do this by myself it doesn't take more than 3 iterations of this before it runs on it's own............................If you've got a strong battery often you can crank for 10 seconds, rest for 30, crank for 10, rest again...and eventually it should suck fuel and start. WD40 method is faster and better especially if you have a weak battery.

I think I read on the 70 Series forum that a Mercedes primer pump threads right in and is a better design.

I had my tank off my BJ74 emptied it, welded on it, replaced it.
I don't think my primer pump was doing the job.
I filled the fuel filter with diesel, put 5 gallons in the tank and after a slightly prolonged starter run, it fired up and kept on running.
I'm stuck with this too! Do you have any information on the Mercedes alternative? I could not find the reference in the 70s forum.
Thanks,
John

They are all over the internet, just google search under Bosch Mercedes primer

Do you have any information on the Mercedes alternative? I could not find the reference in the 70s forum.

Yep. I bet you are 100% correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom