Priming fuel lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SCY

Threads
I just replaced my gas tank in my 1975 FJ40 due to persistent gasoline odor. Everything went great in terms of installing the CCOT replica, but now I can’t get the engine to turn over. I’m assuming it’s just air in the lines. Anybody know how to purge the lines?

If it helps, she was convertedntonfuelninjextion by the PO. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Fuel injection normally uses electronic fuel pumps. When you turn the key on you normally hear the pump run until pressure is reached. Once the pressure is reached turning the key to engage the starter will fire the engine. If there is air in the line, it may take several attempts. To bleed the system, you could remove the line at the carb and have someone turn the key allowing the pump to fill the line till gas comes out. Re-attach and the car should start on the next attempt to start as long as everything else is correct.

you stated engine doesn't turn over, as in no cranking??
is there gas in the tank?
did the lines get mixed up?

I hear them pump turn on and a gurgling sound in the tank. I’m wondering if I just didn’t put enough fuel in, and perhaps it’s just not feeding forward into the engine. On top of that, she’s on a hill with the outflow from the tank oriented up hill. I’m hoping that’s it. Everything else sounds and acts like she always has on the start. Usually fires right up.

I’m out of town and thinking through the lines being mixed up issue- and I’ll bet that’s right. I just looked at a cut away of how the tank is designed, and that makes much more sense. I’ll check it out tomorrow.

If this rig was converted to fuel injection, there should be no carb??
If fuel injection, there should be an in-tank(or pressurizing pump installed) to pump fuel into the system so the injectors will have enough pressure to inject fuel into cylinders. Should be a bypass pressure reg to dump over-pressure fuel back to tank-that is prob what you are hearing as to the "gurgle"--if the fuel level in the tank is low, you may not hear it.
Those folks who may have installed an elect fuel pump in parallel to the cam driven pump will hear the same gurgle--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom