Primer advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bit the bullet and purchased a CCOT tub. The sheet metal was zinc plated prior to assembly and is really very smooth. I have mated the sandblasted cowl and now would like to use a DTM epoxy primer but I am unsure on how to prep the zinc plated tub. I hate to media blast or even sand to much for fear of removing the zinc coating but I know a good coating of epoxy primer offers good protection. If I went with an etch primer could I just use a good wax and grease remover without breaking up the surface?

I didn't know anyone was making a zinc coated replacement tub. Etching primers are generally meant for aluminum surfaces, but I know many painters use them on steel. I would not put an epoxy primer on a surface that I had not scuffed with at least 600 grit. I suggest calling CCOT and see what they recommend for a primer.

As said, call CCOT and see if they have a primer they recommend. I’d also make sure of what the coating is from them too. Then you can make sure whatever primer you are using is compatible via the tech sheets.
I’d also be scuff/sanding the whole thing prior to primer.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ll probably go with epoxy primer after scuffing the zinc surface. I’ll check the tds on E250 DTM epoxy primer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom