Prime Day Steals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll take a hard pass now on the PC. Went down the rabbit hole and found more dangerous issues with it. I won’t risk my families life on a $300 accessory to have a little more throttle.

😬

Then why is anyone talking about “murdering” other vehicles at stoplights?

Due to how this device installs, all it can possibly do is modify the throttle pedal signal between the pedal and the ecu. Meaning any delay it reduces can also be addressed by modifying your throttle input.

None of this means you can’t prefer what it does.. or that it’s worth the money to you. It only means that it’s not doing anything someone can’t do with their foot for free.

Not to @bloc in particular, but his exchange makes me think of why I hesitate…re heavy throttle—
—Its a setting…that changes response. Fine for normal driving, but

…My concern is less about “performance” stuff and more about deadly situations and careful throttle control being screwed because maybe the pedal is in a MODE I did not intend.

Here are some life/death scenarios I think about where an unintended selection mode (such as maximum off the lone reaponse, or whatever that would be called) could be very bad:

-Steel Bender trail, literally teetering with BOTH my left tires suspended in the air with a nasty drop on the right. -Too much speed or lurching or , and you BOUNCE…just enough to roll over to passenger.
C75AD34A-CA3F-4CD5-870A-72C88BF670D6.jpeg

Another:
-Top of the World trail in Moab.
If you want that best poser shot? -you are one skinny pedal hit from death: -When pulling out onto the “diving board” … many of us have pulled to within one throttle-goof of going over. Hundreds of feet down and you’re strumming a harp. ;)

We do that with extreme care, but also with EXTREME FAITH in a predictable, consistent (unchanging) *throttle control.*
E5B0D9A7-1803-4B63-83EB-DB799B24C64A.jpeg

-Imogene Pass… poser rock:
If you really get out to the edge…a throttle mode selection goof could mean down you go…(?)

Should I trust a new device in that scenario?
-Maybe.

Do I trust that I chose the mode I intended, and will my aplit-second reaction also be in sync with that didferent mode, or will muscle memory still be in a different mode?
-That concerns me a bit.

Is it a little nuts to trust even my STOCK throttle with my life?
-Maybe, but at least it is unchanging, and as a result, predictable, requiring less thought in the critical 0.25 seconds you may have to react well.

I am NOT saying Pedal Commander is a bad idea in general. I think it might be GREAT around town and on rdgular trails. I might try one to see…

**I am ONLY saying that after years of counting on no surprises… and absolute control of my throttle in life/death situations, I’m a little shy about switching, or perhaps bumping the mode.
I still may try the pedal commander.
Just adding some food for thought…

98A397DA-1714-49C3-9D31-A50CBD2891A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed with the general consensus in the last so many posts to the point where I'm going to remove the Pedal Commander and return it.

While the Banks video can obviously be said to have bias to promote his product, he seems to have been really well respected over the years and raised some really good points. Ironically, those points also make me question the safety of his product. What if power to the OBD port that his product gets power from goes out - does it go into bypass mode or do you completely lose the throttle?

The examples of people who experienced the dead pedal, even if they're few and far between, concern me enough that the risks outweigh the benefits for me.

I don’t know what I’m going to do yet.

Earlier, I reached out to pedal commander to see what they say about what happens in the event of failure. My feelings are I owe them the chance to say how it goes down before I listen to their competitors.

it’s rare I don’t exhaustively travel a rabbit hole before doing a modification…

The potential failure situation presents quite the predicament.

Hmmm…

I’m not even thinking of device failure so much as I’m thinking more of MY failure to realize its in a mode I do not intend….in situations where a sensitive tgrottle could be devastating.

Not paranoid about failure. Just need my throttle to be consustent.

**Maybe I find a setting and it lives there 24/7 and is smoother? That would be nice.

Last edited:
I’m not even thinking of device failure so much as I’m thinking more of MY failure to realize its in a mode I do not realize/intend….in situations where a sensitive tgrottle could be devastating.
I’ve been on some steep climbs in my previous 200 where i needed to give it some gas to keep up and if I lost throttle I would be pooping my pants. Not worth the risk for me.

I’m not even thinking of device failure so much as I’m thinking more of MY failure to realize its in a mode I do not intend….in situations where a sensitive tgrottle could be devastating.

Not paranoid about failure. Just need my throttle to be consustent.

**Maybe I find a setting and it lives there 24/7 and is smoother? That would be nice.
I totally get where you’re coming from and my post was in no way a response to your life and death scenario post. Instead, it was for the comments about failure.

If I keep this my plan is find a setting and stick with it exactly for the reasons you listed. I tow a lot and find myself manually shifting often, the few times I’ve been out after this install I can get gear kick down with just my foot while not being overly aggressive at low speed. For me, I feel like there is a achievable happy medium where I can set it and forget it.

Last edited:
I totally get where you’re coming from and my post was in no way a response to your life and death scenario post. Instead, it was for the comments about failure.

If I keep this my plan is find a setting and stick with it exactly for the reasons you listed. I tow a lot and find myself manually shifting often, the few times I’ve been out after this install I can get gear kick down with just my foot while not being overly aggressive at low speed. For me, I feel like there is a achievable happy medium where I can set it and forget it.

Ya, that is what I think I’d do as well…although I’m only guessing since I haven’t tinkered with one. I expect its reliable. Just not sure that *I’m* reliable. 😂

This is exactly what I've done, I have left it at the same setting for 2 years now. When I first bought the PC, I didn't know if I'd find myself changing the setting all the time. But after finding the setting I liked, I simply never thought about it again.

This is exactly what I've done, I have left it at the same setting for 2 years now. When I first bought the PC, I didn't know if I'd find myself changing the setting all the time. But after finding the setting I liked, I simply never thought about it again.

Interested to hear more. Which setting did you land on & how would you describe the difference?

Very happy with the prime day deal of the Gooloo gt400000000. Lol! Pretty snazzy jump starter and the 400 lumen light is a nice touch. This review sums up what I like about it.

A5F8EE31-70E5-4744-A940-9C8974AB3EF0.jpeg

Interested to hear more. Which setting did you land on & how would you describe the difference?

I ended up on Sport 0. I wasn't looking for anything "sporty" feeling, I just knew that the truck's throttle response felt too lackluster when I first test drove (felt like I had to jam the accelerator pretty far to get a normal response).

My first impression on my 2018 LC test drive (without pedal commander) was that the throttle response felt identical to my 2003 Sequoia before it, which was a bigger SUV and only a 4.7L engine. It was literally the only thing about the LC that I was not super happy with, but still bought it because everything else with the rig was so perfect for what we were looking for.

After getting the pedal commander, I first tried the "SportPlus" settings, which should basically be avoided entirely. The truck feels like a jumpy ADHD crack head on that setting.

Going down to the regular "Sport" mode, I can imagine people preferring any of the -4 to +4 options. I ended up right in the middle at Sport 0, which I think feels perfectly natural, and honestly how I had expected the LC to feel on my test drive (not super aggressive, but still reminding you it has some guts).

I think the "City" +3 or +4 would be perfectly reasonable, too, but just not what felt right to me.

So far I've never felt a need to change the setting in any driving scenario, including during slow, precise two-footed driving.

I've also never noticed any strange behavior in the response curve, not that I've ever tried to notice.

I ended up on Sport 0. I wasn't looking for anything "sporty" feeling, I just knew that the truck's throttle response felt too lackluster when I first test drove (felt like I had to jam the accelerator pretty far to get a normal response).

My first impression on my 2018 LC test drive (without pedal commander) was that the throttle response felt identical to my 2003 Sequoia before it, which was a bigger SUV and only a 4.7L engine. It was literally the only thing about the LC that I was not super happy with, but still bought it because everything else with the rig was so perfect for what we were looking for.

After getting the pedal commander, I first tried the "SportPlus" settings, which should basically be avoided entirely. The truck feels like a jumpy ADHD crack head on that setting.

Going down to the regular "Sport" mode, I can imagine people preferring any of the -4 to +4 options. I ended up right in the middle at Sport 0, which I think feels perfectly natural, and honestly how I had expected the LC to feel on my test drive (not super aggressive, but still reminding you it has some guts).

I think the "City" +3 or +4 would be perfectly reasonable, too, but just not what felt right to me.

So far I've never felt a need to change the setting in any driving scenario, including during slow, precise two-footed driving.

I've also never noticed any strange behavior in the response curve, not that I've ever tried to notice.

Thanks for the extended info. Helpful, especially as I also have the 6-speed. I hear most raves from 16+ with 8 speed, so its good to hear from a 6er. 👍🏼

Thanks for the extended info. Helpful, especially as I also have the 6-speed. I hear most raves from 16+ with 8 speed, so its good to hear from a 6er. 👍🏼

Oh, hah. Except mine is an 8-speed (2018) 😄 (less helpful than you thought!)

Oh, hah. Except mine is an 8-speed (2018) 😄 (less helpful than you thought!)

Oh. Woops! :) Coulda sworn it was 2011. My vision is very screwy… Leads to constant, frustrating goofs/dxits… 🤬

Last edited:
Well do divert the pedal commander discussion. My Prime day lightning deal Garmin Fenix 6 pro arrived today. First smart watch, wanted it for backcountry tracking/data not to get phone alerts. Seems pretty solid, lighter then my previous daily wear watch (Rolex).

image.jpg

I also recently received my prime day deals, the All Top air compressor (lighting deal) and the TWW75 refrigerator/freezer. I went with the Newair seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom