Primary glow relay NFG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The main glow relay in my HZJ recently up and died. I'm planning on going push button but still going to need a relay. Came up with this as a cost effective alternative to replacing with Toyota/Denso. The thing is huge compared to the factory relay. Thoughts, concerns, wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Stancor / White-Rodgers - 586-905 - Allied Electronics

try a starter relay ? Might have to make sure its rated well enough - and they look just like some of the glow relays. I used on on a 12HT for the glow screen relay.

The main glow relay in my HZJ recently up and died. I'm planning on going push button but still going to need a relay. Came up with this as a cost effective alternative to replacing with Toyota/Denso. The thing is huge compared to the factory relay. Thoughts, concerns, wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Stancor / White-Rodgers - 586-905 - Allied Electronics

I used a motorcycle starter relay to replace the knackered OE relay for the air intake heater,which pulls around 40-45 amps, on my 1HD-FT recently. Was only slightly larger than stock. I was quoted £180 for the OE Toyota item.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've looked into other relays but from the reading that I've done here, 6 cold glow plugs can draw in excess of 150 amps momentarily until they begin to heat up. Hoping to find a permanent fix without the Toyota price tag. Also looked at a cole hersee 24v intermittent solenoid (part # 24008) that's capable of taking 120 amps but only has a 10 second run time with 30 minute cool down.

I've found the Stancor contactor for as cheap as 40 bucks US so for now I'm leaning in that direction. The only problem that I can see is that it's only rated to a max of 26.4 volts and I'm pretty sure that if you glow the plugs while the engine is running/batteries are charging (to smooth out rough idle when cold) you would be pushing 28 volts through the system. I'm no electrical genius so if anyone out there sees something that I haven't taken into account feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

didnt realize you were 24v. I have had a universal type 4 pole starter relay on my 12V BJ70 (4 plugs) for 10 years or so and its fine. If that stancor is not the one there should be another - im no help on the max volts issue.

To better help people help you out.... post the full model as in HZJ77, HZJ80 etc. Origin can't hurt either ie JDM, CDN, ex Mine, etc
If you want a Toyota 24v glow relay we have a box full of misc BJ7/HJ61 24volt glow main and sub relays.

To better help people help you out.... post the full model as in HZJ77, HZJ80 etc. Origin can't hurt either ie JDM, CDN, ex Mine, etc
If you want a Toyota 24v glow relay we have a box full of misc BJ7/HJ61 24volt glow main and sub relays.

1990 JDM HZJ77, 24V, 1HZ no turbo, dent in driver's door, spare tire doesn't match the rest :flipoff2:

You probably need a 28610-57090.. at least that's what Toyota EPC shows for HZJ77 with matching spare tire spec.
Have used ones on hand $50 plus shipping.

I have a 89 HJ61 with a 12h-t turbo diesel. The glow plug system isn't working. I found a "starter relay" original part mounted on the passenger side firewall (right hand drive). Is this the same as a glow plug relay? I can't read the part number on it? Help with diagnosis and part replacement? Thanks....Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom