Pricing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I have a '71 FJ40 and have always wanted to rebuild it. Unfortunately I'm a broke college student, so my dreams of rebuilding it are years away. I've also thought about selling it for the time being to help pay for a daily driver and possibly purchasing one a little nicer down the road when I have more money to put into it.

Regardless of all that, I was curious what I could get out of this ($$) FJ40. Whether that be sold all together or pieced out individually.

1971 Landcruiser
No engine
Transmission out of it (as pictured)
Surface rust on frame, nothing too bad on frame
Rust on body (as pictured)
Lots of random parts that are out of and laying in the back

20200602_140748.jpg

20200602_140755.jpg

20200602_140821.jpg

20200602_140831.jpg

20200602_140948.jpg

Fj40s do require a lot of work and a lot of $$$. Your cruiser has a good number of small parts but missing the engine and all of the rust dock you a significant amount. If your hard top isn't rusted to bits and your door bottoms are in decent shape, I would probably put a price of around $1500 on it. Basically the price of the doors, hard top, and frame.

Probably not what you are wanting to hear but you will have to rip apart that body completely. The fenders are cut to allow those fender flares. So those side panels will need to be replaced. I imagine the floor/ rear seal is in similar shape with lots of rust. If the door bottoms are rusted up along with the hard top, that's just more time and money to spend. Once you spend 100s of hours on metal work, you will then look to spend around $1-3k on painting it, that's if you paint it yourself. If you have someone else paint it, you are looking at upwards of 8k+.

Next you are looking at going through both axles/steering. Rebuild kits add up. and if you want to go to disc brakes, then you are looking at a few hundred more for all the bits and bobs. Probably going to spend a couple thousand on the axles, brakes, and steering components alone. Plus suspension.

Now we get to the engine, you can look for a complete 1F, upgrade to a 2F or run a custom crate engine. Looking around $1000+ for those bits. Plus the time of installing it yourself.

Next up, interior It doesn't look like you have seats, nor a transmission tunnel. $$$

None of this could be done with out $1000s in tools and a place to restore it.

If it is sentimental to you or you really want a challenge. Keep it. If not, Sell it for what you can and look at a better start down the road.

I have spent the past three years restoring one out of college in similar shape with the engine and probably have a couple years left.

Clean title? That's where the bulk of the 'parts' value would be, especially for someone looking for a solid frame. In some parts of the country it's not uncommon to get around $1000 for a clean, current-titled frame in good condition.

Unless you want to keep it for sentimental reasons or are looking for a challenge, you might want to just sell it. Keep in mind if you part it out, you need to plan for a substantial commitment and some sweat equity, because it won't happen overnight. You also need to expect that once it's cherry picked you could end up with a pile of parts that may never sell.

Generally, if everything is in saleable condition, a 40 like yours is worth more in pieces than as a whole, IF you have the time and resources to get everything sold. Otherwise, you might want to make a good deal with fellow enthusiast :p who will take the whole thing off your hands

With your fuel and water temp gauges swapped, that sends bad vibes as to the integrity of the cluster itself... "Someone" has been in there and didn't do it right... This one needs a pile of cash and hands laid upon it for resurrection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom