1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pricing of a '97

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by mage, Mar 16, 2004.

1. mage

mage

What are the opinions of this vehicle.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...style=&advcd_on=n&doors=&fuel=&&ac_afflt=none

Seems like a decent price $13,800 for a '97 with 100K. But seems low when I compare with local pricing. The same thing seems to go for $18K - $20K in my region (Plano, TX. Near Dallas). Low pricing always gives me mixed feelings... love to save money, but don't want to buy a money pit. If ya know what I mean.

Also, any tips for what a '97 with 80K miles SHOULD cost? There seems to be much variation.

Thanks for any help.

Rick

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Paid $15k for our 97 40th w/o lockers at 100k.
    The truck is more or less mechanically, and aesthetically perfect. The seats barely appear to be sat in.
    If the truck checks out, go for it. Have a good Toyota mechanic check it over.

3. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

the variations out there are because it's a free market:
    smart and lazy/dumb shoppers and righteous/or not sellers...
    :D
    IOW, anything can go and goes...
    but the educated/informed shopper always wins...
    that's you after reading and posting several hundreds of messages...
    :D :D
    E

4. Junk

Junk

mage, you are the one currently in the market. That means that either you just started looking or you've looked at a bunch. If you've looked at a bunch, then you should know by now what the market is. The market is what it is. If you're just starting, then keep looking till you know instantly whether or not it's a good deal.

This ain't to sound harsh, well maybe it is a little :D, but seriously, after you see a few, you have a good idea whether it's a good deal or not. If you are not sure, then don't buy it.

5. bj70alex

bj70alex

Since the car is located near Boston, it might have some rust problems, that's why the price is a bit lower then usual.

Alex
    85 BJ70
    93 FZJ80

6. e9999

one more thing.
    For better or for worse, do take somewhat into account what the KBB says. Sure, it's not perfect, but lots of people go by it, so it helps to some extent set the value of the rig in other people's eyes (say if you will trade it in for a 100 someday :D)

oh, also, don't compromise. Get what you *really* want. When I was getting desperate a few weeks ago, I even started to contemplate getting a green one or even -the horror!- a black one... Thankfully a cool head prevailed... And now I have the perfect one...!
    :D
    E

7. mage

mage

Well Junk, the irony of this is that I am a professional pricing guy. My job is pricing wireless infrastructure gear. And while cellular infrastructure is nothing like a TLC, the same ideas of competitive market pricing apply. So I hear you when you say the market is the market, but that is hardly helpful. What I was hoping for was observations around geographical price differences (North cheaper than south maybe?), known bad or good dealers, average selling price vs. asking price.

I have cruised autotrader.com, cars.com, ebaymotors.com and many more. While that does help pin down the observed range to maybe $14K - $20K it does not help explain the variation. And since shopping by internet means the vehicle is too far away generally to drop by and kick the tires, it would be nice to have some general ideas on how to narrow down the possibilities. All the web reading in the world doesn't replace listiening to the voice of experience, and that is all I was looking for here.

Rick

8. e9999

the huge variation in price reflects the huge variation in condition, options, and Seller / Buyer tastes and means. So it's impossible to pin down, really.
    If you want more specifics, it seems to me that the West Coast and the PRK in particular seem to be a bit higher than elsewhere. Maybe TX too. I would bet that snow cars are generally cheaper than sunny ones (condition). In my looking around, I developed the impression that dealers were asking about at least 30% more than one could get it from a private party with some searching. I thought it was trivial to get 15% off, and then it got tougher. So if you want to get a realistic idea of the value, I would take KBB, Edmunds and NADA and check the range from private party to retail for the condition and mileage you found. Modulate that by what dealer asking prices you see after taking away 20% and end up with a figure that is reasonable. After that it's all in the details and how much you like it. Me, I'd never buy something sight unseen. Too much trouble and cost to fix possible and I'm too picky.
    HTH
    and welcome to the forum too!
    Eric

9. unjeep

unjeep

Back in July '03, I paid $21,500 for a '97 w/lockers and 55k, and I had to catch a bus to Plainview, TX (from Abilene) to get it. At the time, after looking for about a year, I felt it was time to "bite." I still look around occassionally, whether to find one for my brother or to see how I did, and so far I have no regrets. Hope that helps.

10. 410225

September of 03, I purchased my 97LC with 112k mi w/locker, no luggage rack, in dash 3cd changer, Waag Grill and tail guards, ONE OWNER for 15k.

Shop around. Prices really vary depends on where the LC is, what condition(Some crappy LC might cost 19k some nice ones might cost 13k), options, and who is selling.

11. Pitbull

Pitbull

Mage, I have a 95 with 135K miles no lockers on it and from a pricing stand point (if I was thinking of selling it) would be around $10K. At $10K it is getting to the point that you might as well keep it and drive till they quit forever. A 97 that would sell for $15K should be in perfect condition in the 100K mile range. You should expand your search to 95-97 since they are the same vehicle. JMHO

12. 410225

Let's be honest and be realistic. How many people CAN and purchased 97 LC w/less than 100k mi within last year under $15k?
    I sure did a research, shopping and so on and even went into ebay. Some people are just plain outrageous asking 19k for 100k LC with modest body.. SOme are way low makes you wonder why?
    Going by or referencing KBB or NADA really helped me to establish a starting point for the price and negotiate price when you find the one you are looking for. If I was a seller, I will always start from the top price, in that case, you know you have room to negotiate. Buying is reverse. You know the seller is asking the top price, and you can negotiate.

13. krich97

krich97

Mage FWIW, I looked for at least a year passively - just to get an idea about pricing. I noticed a sharp drop in prices over that time - partly because you could get 0% financing on new cars and because there seems to be a point (about 6years and 65k) that dealers won't pay much for 'em (cant sell as Toyota certified). Well wife got pregnant again which put some pressure on us - needed a bigger car - so I had to speed things up. I looked diligently in about a 300mi radius from where in live (Southern/cental CA) I looked at Recycler.com, autotrader etc. I did find variation. Mileage seemed to really affect price. 100+k was 4-5k cheaper than say 70k. Condition varied alot - CArfax does not catch all accidents! I looked for 3 months - I wanted a white or metallic 95-97 with lockers and no roofrack. In the end I found a black one with a roof rack that seemed to be below KBB but in the range I was seeing. I also on the same day found a white one with no roof rack, same mileage- exactly what I wanted - at closer inspection the black one was the cleanest I found by a good margin. The white one had had an accident (which the owner lied about) and some light rust on the frame an undercarriage :whoops:. I bot the black one 74k miles (it was still under extended warrantee for 3 more months). I later saw another one for 2k less in my hometown :doh: nearly identical according to the add. I didn't see it up close. Bottom line- there is alot of variation - not all owners are honest, some cars were poorly maintained, some are rusty - find one that meets your criteria and is as clean as possible and pay for it - in the long run 1 or 2k won't be as important as the other things. I paid 19k in October '03 for a very clean low mile locked truck that was still under warantee, no evidence of signicant accidents. I probably could have paid less or found the exact truck if patient enough. How much time do you have to look. Your time is worth something. (There is a 97 w/lockers, 46k mi, near me for 23k - it has been for sale for 4 months so maybe the guy would take less?)

14. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Geeze,

My 93 was close to 40 g's, Of course it was new at the time :rolleyes:

And, yes, I am glad I did not wait. :flipoff2:

15. Junk

Junk

[quote author=mage link=board=2;threadid=13267;start=msg122536#msg122536 date=1079501637]
    Well Junk, the irony of this is that I am a professional pricing guy. My job is pricing wireless infrastructure gear. And while cellular infrastructure is nothing like a TLC, the same ideas of competitive market pricing apply. So I hear you when you say the market is the market, but that is hardly helpful. What I was hoping for was observations around geographical price differences (North cheaper than south maybe?), known bad or good dealers, average selling price vs. asking price.[/quote]

Ok, it's just that's not what you asked. :D Now get me better reception and we'll talk. :flipoff2: Just kidding.

NJ seems to a cheap area to buy them in. I've helped several folks find them around here, even in my own neighborhood for 96-97 with lockers as cheap as I think 13k. These have been babied with dealer servicing and driven by soccer moms. That said, we use rust promoter on our roads so that's something to keep in mind.

In all seriousness, if you are doing a nationwide search, I'd focus in areas where you know there are knowledgeable trustworthy people to go check them out for you. Just like you know vendors can quote you a price, but you aren't sure what you are really getting. Here is the same thing. I'd rather pay a little extra if it meant I could have someone that knew these trucks drive 5 mins down the road to check it out for me. Did the same thing when I was shopping for my 40.

Just don't buy a white one because they suck. :D

16. mage

mage

Thanks guys! That's great feedback.

And Junk, I live in Texas... white is gooooooood. :beer:

Rick

17. Junk

Junk

Where at in TX? Lived there for awhile myself. There's some good guys down there in LSLC, ya just gotta keep an eye on guys like Garth and Texican :D.

Seriously, hook up with some of them if you are close. They can help you keep an eye out.

18. floatinghat

floatinghat

Paid $13.7K for my 96 with lockers and 88K miles. I looked, called, determined the market, and waited for what I wanted. When it came up in the local paper Sat morning at 8 am I called. After driving and inspection I negiotated a price based on a "sound" vehicle. I aranged a dealer inspection (I had already decided I was going to purchase).
    After the dealer inspection a couple of items for additional negiotation came up mainly PHH (we split the cost) plain and pretty easy for both of us.

If you purchase equipment you should understand negiotations and be able to cut the deal you are comfortable with.

Now, if you are looking for network infrastructure (wan or man) shoot me a PM.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">