Pricing help on 1988 FJ62 with 180k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I fell upon this 62 driving down the road about a month ago. Actually happened to see the guy pull into his driveway. Super nice guy. We’ve been talking for about a month.

Here some info

180,000 miles
Recent service history showing new alternator, leaking and new oil pan. Few other things. He bought it in Philadelphia about a year ago. I’ve tracked down the listing and will attach it

the good

body would appear to be in good shape. A few very small rust spots. The chassis looks pretty good...I’d imagine it’s been coated in something at some point.

it needs tires (I’d like OEM wheels too), ac work, knuckles look trashed, etc. fair amount of driveline noise while driving. A lot of it is under acceleration/throttle too which is a little concerning. Engine runs well. Transmission shifts well.

I just don’t know how to really value these things. I go off BAT but that is such a shot in the dark. It takes a few emotional bidders with a lot of money to shoot some auctions up IMO.

what do you all think? We’re at $13,000 right now. I figure I have $3,000-5,000 to put into it.

F2F3F50F-E62F-4AB2-A1DA-1F6FCADAB1EA.jpeg

EA7638BB-60D9-4A9E-A782-72F0315013EB.jpeg

957E0F8D-B93F-4CA3-967E-E8CEA140EEE0.jpeg

E705D6E7-57A8-414C-9FD6-0E4EADA3C566.jpeg

621C0216-D5F9-44CD-8098-CE4CC3121BF6.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are some hairy knuckles. If you want to use them as a negotiating tool search around the forum for photos of someone’s completed knuckle job and lay it on the seller.

Last thing I want to do is beat up on someone. Just trying to be fair. Thank you all!

the price really doesn't matter, if you are both happy in the end,

Great looking truck. 13k in the northeast is not a bad price. I am in Buffalo NY and they are hard to find up here in that shape. Axle rebuild looks like a must, you may ask to have a compression test done so you now if a top end rebuild or valve job is in the future. Good luck.

If the truck is not packed full of body filler, $13k is reasonable.

The best deal is where both parties feel like they got screwed :)

If you're happy with the deal, than that's all that matters. For me, I would never pay that much.

The knuckles can be rebuilt for $200
As long as its not full of filler, which doesn't seem to be the case you're good. Whats in place of the factory radio?
You are aware of the $2k in maintenance, so talk him down $2k and get to it.
Good stock wheels will run you 3-400 dollars too.

Hemming & hawing for a month over a used vehicle isn't a good sign. Usually worthwhile vehicles are snapped up.

IMO, 13K is fair - I wouldn't pay more than that. If the knuckle bearings are tight, then $125 will get you the parts to address the seals. But, there will always be stuff like a battery, brake pads, interior bits to replace.

That appears to be an 'easy resto' to take that to a reliable daily driver level. Not totally stock, but close enough to it.

IMO, 13K is fair - I wouldn't pay more than that. If the knuckle bearings are tight, then $125 will get you the parts to address the seals. But, there will always be stuff like a battery, brake pads, interior bits to replace.

That appears to be an 'easy resto' to take that to a reliable daily driver level. Not totally stock, but close enough to it.

these are exactly my thoughts. I’m trying to buy something, put some money into it, and not inevitably lose my ass when another one pops up I want. It’s happened multiple times to me lol

I Spent a year looking for one and when I found it I pretty well knew it was the one to go with.

Hi, knuckles are a maintaince item that has to be done on a regular basis depending on the use of the cruiser. Messy but not hard to do. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom