Pricing advice on a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I think I may be losing my mind but I'm considering buying another Cruiser.
I saw a FJ60 in the paper tonight and I'm going to look at it tomorrow.
According to the owner it is immaculate, which I almost belive having seen the 60's parked around Tahoe. 1985, 235K miles with anew clutch.
He is asking $4,450. I don't see 60's for sale around here often so I don't have a good feel for the real value.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

if it is immaculate it easily sounds like a good deal..

Mace said:
How different is the drivetrain? I know they have the 2f, but what about the transmission and t-case?

Mace said:

huh? $4500 for 235k? I'm not sure I would say it's a "deal" at that price.

I have seen really nice 60's in my area with half the mileage go for that price. I sold my 60 with a little over 100k for about that and it was nice, and it didnt go that fast. Not saying I wouldnt consider it, but it would have to be damn near perfect I think. Just my 2 cents.

That is high but they are popular up in that area so people not know would probably pay that. I bought a nice 60 awhile back rust free for a lot less then that which was in great shape. I had to sell it though, two 60's was too much. Look around in the bay area for a awhile and you can find some nice ones if you don't mind drive down to save a $1000.

PM if you want and I will help you look here in the bay area for a nice one.

The only way it would be worth $4450 is if it has a OME suspension, rust free, and engine has been rebuilt.

I bought a rust free 62 just north of Reno about 2 months ago for $1,000. It's got 250k on it and aside from a leaky pan gasket and PS hose, it's pretty clean. I looked for a while for this kinda deal but they do come up. Just a month before there was an old guy in Garnerville with 2 60's for $2,500....both were clean but one had a knock in the engine. For $4,500, I'd say keep shopping unless your'e in a hurry....

HTH

See, I kinda figure that the mileage is a mute point for a 20 year old vehicle.

If the body is in extremely good condition, the mechanicals are easy..

4 speed trans with a split tcase (very strong)

Mace said:

Gotta agree with Mace, but it probably depends on where you live. The local autotrader has three 62's that all have between 150K - 200K miles and all are described as immaculate and all want more than $8,000...

I conceled my appt. , the price was a little high based on what I heard here, asking around locally, and looking through the paper. I'm sure he will get close to his asking price from a Tahoe local. I guess I'll just keep looking for a while.

well - call me a rookie idiot - but I have bought a lot of old vehicles, and I have never minded paying a (reasonable) premium for quality. Key word, it has to be quality.
Last mo I bought a 87, 148K, 5K on a rebuilt 2F, Weber, new tires, rebuilt steering, rustfree, advertised as "perfect" except for paint (oxidized and Freeborn Red, which is another problem) in Sacramento. As I was 600m away, I had the Toyota dealer do a preliminary prepurchase; amazingly they confirmed that it was great. I negotiated to a little over 6K for it, checked it over, and never looked back. It is pristine, still has all the tools in the original toolkit.
I bought it in the am, drove the pass to Reno for a test hike, then drove it the 480m to Las Vegas (absolutely spectacular drive, but that's another story), chilled 2d, then 1150m to home. It never hiccuped, and was worth every penny.
Compared to a 64 Stingray that I got for a bargain, and promptly spent WAY more than I would have if I had started by paying for a good one.
Point is, the premium was a small price considering mult fixups, towtruck fees, lost time etc.
One rookie's perspective only.

I think its worth exactly as much as someone will pay for it! I paid $4400 for a one owner, rust free, driven by a mom, 87. It was well maintained and had 160K. It still had the orig clutch(actually it still does) so I knew it was driven lightly. Looking back, if I was a little more patient I could have found one for about 3500. They seem to come in waves. You won't see any for a while then all of a sudden there are a half a dozen good ones. As a matter of fact there is an 84 posted on CRAIGSLIST for $1500 http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/107516136.html. It needs work, but you'd have 3K to put in right away. Good Luck!

Toad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom