Price vs Color, Private vs (Non-Toyota) Dealer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mileage vs Color, Private vs (Non-Toyota) Dealer

Contemplating/researching a 100 (03+, primarily for the 5-speed) and have come across a couple online I find particularly interesting...

1) '03, $29.9K, 29K miles, Arizona, Black (not what I want), private party 2nd owner.
2) '03, $29.9K, 49K miles, Utah, Gray (a preferred color), 'import used car' dealer who claims to bring most of their vehicles in from CA.

Waiting on history info (ownership, locations, maintenance records, etc.) so just know what's being marketed. Main thing I'm weighing is whether a color I want, convenience (~30 miles away vs. ~500) and dealing with a used car sales-type trumps 20K fewer miles on the clock...or vice versa. Guess it comes down to how I define 'value' (emotional/subjective - what I want/like - vs. objective - best overall vehicle, assuming lower miles in this case)...

The 04 NAV issues I'm reading about also have me looking harder for/at '03's (all seem to still have NAV, but have seen that gen described as 'dated but tried & true')...previously I thought '04 was more of a 'sweet spot' (not the first year for the 5-speed, last year from Araco), but again the NAV has me moving toward '03.

Interesting how many 100's I'm seeing several grand below at least NADA retail prices, and in several cases below trade-in...gas prices? Guess it means a true lowball to determine how motivated the seller is vs. using 'book' numbers as ammo...

Thanks...just thinking out loud and welcoming objective feedback! :cheers:

Last edited:
re: color, I'll just say this: I've had vehicles of a color that I didn't like, and every single time I got in or out, I was thinking "darn I hate that color".... I just never got "used to it". Not conducive to enjoyment.

I would say hold out....if Black is a color you totally don't want. There are lots of good ones out there. In your #1, #2 and #3 colors. I do like that gray color the best, but I just bought a white one....which I originally wasn't terribly fond of....but grew on me (before purchase) and I'm happy with my decision.

That Black one with 29K miles for $29K isn't too bad...may be some wiggle room there, too.

Good luck!!

The 04 NAV issues I'm reading about also have me looking harder for/at '03's (all seem to still have NAV, but have seen that gen described as 'dated but tried & true')...previously I thought '04 was more of a 'sweet spot' (not the first year for the 5-speed, last year from Araco), but again the NAV has me moving toward '03.

I would not let that "Nav problem" pull you away from an '04.

No word back yet on the history of the AZ '03 with 29K...UT '03 with 49K was purchased from Toyota in SoCal after coming off lease.

Also have come across a couple 03-04's Certified with 60-70K miles for $28-30K...interesting to see Certified with higher mileage, at least to me; have always tended to lean towards lowest possible miles...but would also feel great about having something Certified...

Appears to be some good options out there!

Re: '04 NAV - As long as I come out with a warranty that will cover it, I won't...doesn't just apply to '04, as I'm sure pre-'04 NAV ain't cheap, either!

Re: Color - preference is probably 1) Gray 2) Silver 3) Green. Definitely a subjective/emotional/:princess: thing vs. mileage. Black looks great, I'm just wary of keeping it clean enough (consistently enough) for it to actually look great...

Last edited:
Hmmm guess I am partial, but to put color over miles and price seems, well...:princess:
I love black and do not like my wifes Gray vehicle. Preference is why they make so many different vehicles and so many colors - at least you have the right vehicle.:cool:

Best of luck in your search

re: color, I'll just say this: I've had vehicles of a color that I didn't like, and every single time I got in or out, I was thinking "darn I hate that color".... I just never got "used to it". Not conducive to enjoyment.

I will STRONGLY second this statement!

When shopping for my 80, i wanted white, searched high and low for MONTHS with no luck on a clean, low mile rig. I finally "settled" for the dark green, because i got a smoking deal on it. I didnt care for the green, but figured it didnt matter because i was saving a good chunk of change.

I will mirror erics statements exactly! Within weeks i HATED the green color and it never grew on me, honestly took enjoyment out of driving the truck, as weird as that may sound! :D

I eventually painted it white and then sold it! :D

No word back yet on the history of the AZ '03 with 29K...UT '03 with 49K was purchased from Toyota in SoCal after coming off lease.

Also have come across a couple 03-04's Certified with 60-70K miles for $28-30K...interesting to see Certified with higher mileage, at least to me; have always tended to lean towards lowest possible miles...but would also feel great about having something Certified...

Appears to be some good options out there!

Re: '04 NAV - As long as I come out with a warranty that will cover it, I won't...doesn't just apply to '04, as I'm sure pre-'04 NAV ain't cheap, either!

Re: Color - preference is probably 1) Gray 2) Silver 3) Green. Definitely a subjective/emotional/:princess: thing vs. mileage. Black looks great, I'm just wary of keeping it clean enough (consistently enough) for it to actually look great...

Don't be lured into thinking the Toyota CPO is something special. It's a joke quite frankly !! The Lexus CPO program is in another class altogether. I am just like you in that I am hung up on mileage when shopping pre-owned. Make a list of things you like and prioritize them in a list. I am only interested in Thunder Cloud Gray so my next issue is mileage then price, etc. I can't emphasize too much in the importance of a good extended warranty. My 2001's tranny went out this past summer. It was something like 3-4 weeks BEFORE my TFS Gold warranty went out ! I paid $2,100.00 for the warranty, the cost of the tranny was something very close to $4,000.00 !! I rest my case !!!! :eek:

Here is the reverse to that story. 3 weeks after my ext warranty ended my NAV system went out. The reader under the passenger seat to be more specific. Price to fix $1,500.00. Even if my warranty had still been good it WOULD NOT have covered this ! So, my advice is read all the covered parts and don't assume "everything" is covered....I still haven't fixed the NAV !!

:cheers:

Don't be lured into thinking the Toyota CPO is something special. It's a joke quite frankly !! The Lexus CPO program is in another class altogether. I am just like you in that I am hung up on mileage when shopping pre-owned. Make a list of things you like and prioritize them in a list. I am only interested in Thunder Cloud Gray so my next issue is mileage then price, etc. I can't emphasize too much in the importance of a good extended warranty. My 2001's tranny went out this past summer. It was something like 3-4 weeks BEFORE my TFS Gold warranty went out ! I paid $2,100.00 for the warranty, the cost of the tranny was something very close to $4,000.00 !! I rest my case !!!! :eek:

Here is the reverse to that story. 3 weeks after my ext warranty ended my NAV system went out. The reader under the passenger seat to be more specific. Price to fix $1,500.00. Even if my warranty had still been good it WOULD NOT have covered this ! So, my advice is read all the covered parts and don't assume "everything" is covered....I still haven't fixed the NAV !!

:cheers:

side question: with your reader out, is the whole thing not there, not booting up etc, or can you still access the a/c and radio stuff?

side question: with your reader out, is the whole thing not there, not booting up etc, or can you still access the a/c and radio stuff?

The display still shows all the stereo and HVAC controls. Only the navigation ifo and reminders like service, brake pads, etc does not work.

I have read other posts saying that their nav system has gone south and it's something like $5--$6K to fix. I will assume they are talking about the display itself ?? Yikes !!

The display still shows all the stereo and HVAC controls. Only the navigation ifo and reminders like service, brake pads, etc does not work.

snip
!

that's good

that's good

That's why I haven't bothered getting it fixed. 20-20 hindsight I wish I hadn't gotten the nav in the first place. I could have gone with a much better aftermkt unit. Oh well, since all the radio/hvac controls still work it's really only an inconvenience as opposed to a real problem if the display itself were inop. That would suk.

:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom