Price to get an 87 60 series on the road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at a fairly clean 87 fj60. Thrown rod, at least that's what the owner says. $2500, which is probably more than it's worth. He was originally asking $4500 and has come down, but it's been sitting for nearly a year.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...990&start_year=1987&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=152

I've always wanted to rebuild a motor, so based on what I've read here, I thought the 2F would be a good place to start. I have the garage space to do it, and I will make the time.

What I was thinking about (after I get the 2F FSM), is buying a rebuild kit for the engine, around $1200???

http://www.rpmrons.com/Toykits.html

While I'm at it, I think I would rebuild the transfer case ($250) and install a new H55 5 speed ($1900).

New vacuum lines and have the carb rebuilt by JimC(300-400).

Machine the head as well ($150)

What else am I missing? Is this a bad idea? Someone talk me out of it.
:cheers:

My guess is that you could get him to come down on the price even more. They aren't worth that much with a blown engine, not at all. The engine is one of the pinnicle advantages of buying a FJ60. Therefore, you will be able to make him come down.

Depending on how violently the rod blew, you could be looking at re-boreing the cylinder walls, which means new cylinders as well, new valves alltogether, or maybe even a new block. Be careful with this.

If you can rebuild an engine, the 2F carb will be no problem. I did it myself in about 8 hours time including soaking the parts. That's 2-300 saved.

The transmission is a great idea. That is a direct bolt in for the 87.

Make sure you leave a buffer for random little things that will pop up in the process. For example, old ignition wires, rusty something or other, you get the idea.

Good luck!

mines prettty damn clean and in good shape except for a teeeeny bit of play in my transfer case so i have to rebuild. and i ddnt know about it when i bought, got for 3000 even

Thanks for the ideas. It makes sense to me. I was thinking about ordering a $400 short block from cruiserparts.net to use for the build, and swapping parts. It's easy to see how, by the time you rebuild the axles, upgrade the brakes, lift it 2", replace the a/c, you could easily have a $10,000-12,000 rig.

Yeah, seems a little high on the price. I would not rebuild the engine. buy a parts cruiser for less $ (yes the engine is used but you will save $ and have extra parts)
+ you could even buy a 40 with the 2f. so you have a wide variety to choose from. ( I am thinking of something like this, buying a blown engine rig and a parts rig, if I can swing it with the wife. )

buy a parts cruiser for less $ (yes the engine is used but you will save $ and have extra parts)

That's another good idea. I have been thinking about doing that with one like Doc's- low mileage, good mechanical condition with lots of upgrades, but rusty:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=49619

I'd rebuild the engine :)

The price is a bit high for the whole truck when you factor in the risk. When the rod let go, it very likely may have damaged the crank. Regrinding is possible but it may have to be replaced. Plan on having the block bored. Shave the head and have a complete valve job done. Have it balanced. Take your time assembling it. You'll end up with a much better engine than a used one. As for the carb - I went through mine twice but was still unable to pass the smog test. I finally begged Jim C for a quick rebuild. $300 well spent.

After doing the engine, make sure you're still willing to spent the $ to get the brakes, axles, tires, and other random stuff in top shape.

I've read many posts that agree with you on the carb rebuild. JimC must be the way to go.

And I agree on $2500 being too high. I'll have some negotiating to do.

Hank, i have called on this exact truck and have you seen picture of the truck's roof? Rusty hole on the top. I offered him $500 for it and he came back with$1500 for the truck and he wouldn't go any further. Ask to see pic's of the rust on the roof and wheel wells.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the details. I was through College Station a few weeks ago and was going to stop and look at it, but it was dark. I still might the next time I'm there, but I figured if it was in great shape with no engine, it would be gone by now.

No way at that price

That money for a blown engine rig is too much. I lucked out and got essentially the same thing for $250..admittedly a steal. However, I have been watching the ads and you can do better than that. I recently posted on my costs, which included having someone rebuild the engine, Jim C. carb and Distributor rework, clutch kit, clutch master and slave, water pump, power steering pump, all new hoses and filters, exhaust pipe/muffler.
Buying cruisers is not baseball, you do not have to swing at every pitch that looks good.

87 fj60 runs!!!

Bringing this back to the top. I went and looked at this cruiser. Actually pretty clean interior. Seats in good shape. Needs paint. Rust on the roof is not as bad as it looked. I bought it for 900.00 sanded the roof and have to small holes about the size of your index finger. 32 inch mud tires with about 4000 miles on them lots of tread left. Fired it up when I got home and heard a small clang then nothing. Which I thought was odd for a motor with a thrown rod. Then after it warmed up a little, when you gave it throttle you could hear a small knock. So I dropped the pan and started pulling connecting rods. Pulled the first one off no bearing at all. So new set of bearings installed, drove it today. No knock at all and runs great. I cannot believe it was that simple. Mechanic he used said the motor needed replaced. I am glad it runs but I hate it for the guy who sold it to me.

Thanks,

Gary

WHAT?!?! You definately lucked out man! Awesome to hear that it worked out so well for you. I wish that I looked into it more!

:beer::beer:

Congrats!

I got a blown 1989 62 with 185,000 for free! I have since spent $5500 rebuilding the engine, and $3000 on other miscellaneous stuff - bearings, batttery, alternator, etc, etc. I would say pay no more than $1000-$1500 for it.

I just bought a running '84 60 with a clean body and interior for 600.00 here in N. Cal with head gasket issues. 2500 is too much money for a thrown rod vehicle, offer him a grand and if he balks just know that eventually he will call you once he figures out what his vehicle is really worth on the open market . . .not a lot of demand for dead motot j62's

sick!! glad you got it. have fun:grinpimp:

warmblood58 said:
I just bought a running '84 60 with a clean body and interior for 600.00 here in N. Cal with head gasket issues. 2500 is too much money for a thrown rod vehicle, offer him a grand and if he balks just know that eventually he will call you once he figures out what his vehicle is really worth on the open market . . .not a lot of demand for dead motot j62's

JPC said:
I got a blown 1989 62 with 185,000 for free! I have since spent $5500 rebuilding the engine, and $3000 on other miscellaneous stuff - bearings, batttery, alternator, etc, etc. I would say pay no more than $1000-$1500 for it.

Re-read the post and you will see that he paid $900 for it and put a minimal amount of money into it to get it running.

Once again, congrats GARYB2!!

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom