Price this 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been hunting the deserts of pinal county for hidden gems that I could persuade @Cruddz to purchase. An LC in Casa Grande popped up on mother’s day, and I contacted the owner. He is interested in selling, but I’d like the input of the community to give the seller an idea of what it’s worth. The pics tell it all, so let me know what you think!
DEDD7398-87B4-4871-BA80-BF2E069A20C7.jpeg
27D265F4-064B-422B-8C17-9FD9095C88C9.jpeg
E3311763-2D36-4609-9B07-43E81E68E031.jpeg
F0AA7EBF-5BD5-4EA9-9E4C-D691AA5273C2.jpeg

My first FJ40 is a 68 like this one. Paid $1,750 and that was in 1974. My ex tried to sell it in the mid eighties while we were going thru a divorce. At it priced at $1650. Rust free and had done some mods by then including a factory PTO winch and original stamped "LAND CRUISER" bezel. It didn't sell. Today the market has gone crazy and could get ten times that much easy. $1500 would be a good deal on this one today.

Last edited:
The cheapest 40 I've seen lately is $2K and that was completely disassembled and on a trailer. The tub was the largest complete piece. The market has lost it's mind on these trucks. Similar examples to this one between here and So Cal are being posted for $3800 to $5K. Not sure what they are actually selling for. Disclaimer: In case my wife see this, I have not been looking - just what I've "heard" the word on the street is. :hillbilly::flipoff2:

I would have approached them asking about their Jeep, if they didn’t correct me $800-1200.

My first FJ40 is a 68 like this one. Paid $1,750 and that was in 1974. My ex tried to sell it in the mid eighties while we were going thru a divorce. At it priced at $1650. Rust free and had done some mods by then including a factory PTO winch and original stamped "LAND CRUISER" bezel. It didn't sell. Today the market has gone crazy and could get ten times that much easy. $1500 would be a good deal on this one today.

I know there are subtle differences between the '68 and '69. Other than the oddball heater valve and what looks to be air filter housing, what am I missing?

Back in the day, I bought the one I kept for $550.

The old vato stated that he was already offered $5k, but wants $9k. I have done my fair share of scouring CL from Farmington to Monterey and it all shows steep ass prices for these rigs. Unfortunately, people think they sitting on Gold, waiting to cash out.
Case in Point: there was a very cherry blue 40 I found stashed at a shop here in Tucson, and I chatted with the owner who stated that he wanted to get it up n runnin'. I told him that there were ridiculous prices on these rigs on the CL, and he agreed, stating that those evaluations are freakin' bonkers, and furthermore, he said he would put a reasonable price on the rig if he were to sell. I gave the deets to @Cruddz and he inquired. Much to our chagrin, homeboy priced himself out. I also found another 40 at another mechanics shop, and the dude would not budge from 5800, and the motha had been rolled twice in its previous life!!! Another 40 found at another shop in Tucson, completely disassembled and carrying a FJ62 powerplant, was asking for $9k.
"Well ya know, if ya put it all together, its worth twice a much!"
Anyway, if anyone has tons of cash, let me know and I can help you get one

I know there are subtle differences between the '68 and '69. Other than the oddball heater valve and what looks to be air filter housing, what am I missing?

The air cleaner and heater valve in the picture are not OEM. I see one thing that leads me to think 68 not 69. Side reflectors and dash point to 68/69 only.

I've been watching FJ40 prices for a long time and expect prices to drop with all the Bondo filled, freshly painted ones showing up in Florida. All those are coming from south of the border. Then many quality and originality will start to matter. Right now everybody is jumping on the FJ40 bandwagon and a shinny new paint seems to be king.

The old vato stated that he was already offered $5k, but wants $9k. I have done my fair share of scouring CL from Farmington to Monterey and it all shows steep ass prices for these rigs. Unfortunately, people think they sitting on Gold, waiting to cash out.
Case in Point: there was a very cherry blue 40 I found stashed at a shop here in Tucson, and I chatted with the owner who stated that he wanted to get it up n runnin'. I told him that there were ridiculous prices on these rigs on the CL, and he agreed, stating that those evaluations are freakin' bonkers, and furthermore, he said he would put a reasonable price on the rig if he were to sell. I gave the deets to @Cruddz and he inquired. Much to our chagrin, homeboy priced himself out. I also found another 40 at another mechanics shop, and the dude would not budge from 5800, and the motha had been rolled twice in its previous life!!! Another 40 found at another shop in Tucson, completely disassembled and carrying a FJ62 powerplant, was asking for $9k.
"Well ya know, if ya put it all together, its worth twice a much!"
Anyway, if anyone has tons of cash, let me know and I can help you get one

Good grief...

Well, at least it's not the short wheelbase air-cooled 911 or 356 Porsche market. Decent drivers are in starter home price territory. Crazy.

This is the rolled-two-times 40. I found at a shop. The shop owner is selling for his dead friends widowed wife. There’s a neat picture in the shop of 2 elk stuffed inside the back of the 40! The dead owner bought it a year after is hit the market and died as owner. I still can’t wrap my head around $5800 for a twice rolled jalopy! God bless Jonathan Ward for these steep prices!!!
7C51A73F-047E-459F-A4F4-35564540D51F.jpeg
4EAB45E9-B6D8-4106-BFC2-4C1CD9CA26D6.jpeg
7FD40350-404F-42DF-8B97-4649F353844D.jpeg

Here is the 9k roller with the FJ62 powerplant waiting to be restored to its former glory. The owner was a pretty cool dude, but his figures are a bit off. The truck also has cancer, and needs more assembly than a gad-dan model car! As ambitious as I know cruddz can be, the price just blew our minds! But I keep scouring, keep searching, looking for the ever elusive dim-wit who has no idea what off-road mudding menace is parked on his property. It’s a hobby, and I look for these things like nipples during winter! I don’t even want a 40, cuz it’s 60 fo life. But I got the leads.
2B640439-204B-4186-89C1-5791C6143664.jpeg
F3B7D693-C970-402A-BB22-69B9BC341CBF.jpeg

Here is the 9k roller with the FJ62 powerplant waiting to be restored to its former glory. The owner was a pretty cool dude, but his figures are a bit off. The truck also has cancer, and needs more assembly than a gad-dan model car! As ambitious as I know cruddz can be, the price just blew our minds! But I keep scouring, keep searching, looking for the ever elusive dim-wit who has no idea what off-road mudding menace is parked on his property. It’s a hobby, and I look for these things like nipples during winter! I don’t even want a 40, cuz it’s 60 fo life. But I got the leads.View attachment 1734271View attachment 1734272

"Clean Carfax. Some rust. Just a little work and this LEGEND will be back on the road turning heads. Original Paint! Rare color! Tires have a lot of tread left! Original suspension and steering. Hard to find in this condition!"

Red one is a 69 and the minimum rust green is a 73. 73 is easier to update with later transmissions and transfer cases. That rear sill is a easy ten minute fix.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom