SOLD Price Reduced: Rustic Green 73 FJ40 Full Restoration over 10 years. Oakland, CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20190914_083208[1].jpg
20190914_084340[1].jpg
20190616_102205[1].jpg
20190914_083324[1].jpg

Hi,
Finally finished restoration on my 73 FJ40. It was a labor of love and I learned a lot from the 10 year process. Every part of the vehicle has been replaced, restored, or rebuilt. The rebuilt drive train is stock with less than 300 miles driven since engine restoration. 75K original miles on the engine. All mechanical system parts were rebuilt, or replaced and work performed was inspected and tested by a certified mechanic. Electrical harnesses restored back to original with added functionality for fog lights and a towing kit. A frame-off/ body-off restoration was performed. All rusted body panels were removed or replaced. Painted original Rustic Green single stage with cygnus white roof and pewter bumpers and trim. New headliner. Front seats, back seats, were reupholstered with new seat belts. Door knobs and window frames have been re-chromed. Window, door seals and door mechanics have been replaced/restored. Features outside of stock:
  • Weber carb with electric choke and K&N air filter.
  • Saginaw Power Steering kit.
  • Front Disk Brake kit.
  • Towing kit with electrical harness.
  • Fog light kit.
  • 33" mud Terrain tires on Pro comp steel rims.
  • Pro Comp Suspension shocks with 2 " shackle lift and greaseable bolts.
  • Rhino Liner sprayed interior with color match.
After 10 years toiling in the garage, I'm ready to sell it and am working with a consignment dealersip in the Bay area. If interested, please take a closer look here: fj40 for sale

20190914_083208[1].jpg

20190914_084340[1].jpg

20190616_102205[1].jpg

20190914_083324[1].jpg

Last edited:
The 73 FJ40 project vehicle was purchased on a whim back in 2009. Growing up in Cally in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I had admired Landcruisers and Toyota 4x4s in general. In highschool, I was lucky that my parents provided an 86 Toyota 4X4 for transportation. It was the right vehicle for the right age, and time. I drove that thing all over the place and have many positive and happy memories offroading in my youth. Driving down into TJ and Rosarito, going Big Bear skiing, cruising Balboa, offroading Azusa Canyon. Damn nostalgia! I understood the ruggedness and reliability that Toyota offered. So when my brother told me about a neighbor selling his project FJ40 for $2,500 I needed to take a look. Classic Toyotas hold their value, and at the time, in 2009, you couldn't find a fully intact FJ40 under $5K. This one was in running order, had under 75K original miles, needed a lot of work, but was priced right. It looked like a fun project to work on with my kids. The person selling it told me he had too many projects piled on and his wife asked him to get rid of it. At the time I was not looking to buy a project car. Looking at the beast being sold, there were many apparent issues: Bad bondo work, rusted body panels, torn seats, leaks galore, missing pull knobs, patched work charlie electrical harness, many mods from PO, and many unknown mysteries that will rear their ugly head in the years to come. All I saw was a glimpse into a possible future offroading down a winding dirt road, with my wife riding shotgun, and my kids in the rear jump seats... Damn nostalgia!
At the time, I had minimal tools and mechanical skills. I had never restored a vehicle before and really didn't know what I was getting into. Didn't do any research either. Just had $2,500 in an account and wanting to go 4x4ing to re-live the youth of my past. Some Historical pics of how the project looked when first purchased 10 years ago:
DSCF1006.JPG
DSCF1096.JPG

DSCF1051.JPG
DSCF1052.JPG
DSCF1055.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom