Price on Used Axle assemblies with OEM lockers. Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@VivaToy 3k is good And that’s what I’d pay. I paid 3k myself hence I know the drama to get them to a solid reliable state.

We told you the “what to know” and “what to ask”.
You can now speak intelligently to negotiate on why the price may need to go down or you know and accept the risk and the price and just buy it and be done. Either way, do what makes you happy.

I know you mentioned above that you want to keep things OE as much as possible, but just for some perspective, I added an Eaton elocker in the rear in September. $1,500. That includes the locker and install by Zuk with all new bearings and seals. I will be picking up the front soon and do the same again. So, about 3k. I went with the supplied switch and will have independent activation front or rear, for what that’s worth, just another option.

Perhaps this question was already asked? Why mess with oem lockers when better exists.

it was asked and he answered. he wants OEM because its OEM.
Ok, well, I’m a Toyota fan but the oem lockers are not worth all the hassle in my opinion.

Something like this might be another option if you need locking diffs:

Yes, I'm familiar with the wiring, plugs, and additional work that goes into it. But this thread is seeming to be sidetracked. I guess I'm asking specifically for the prices people have paid for axles in the past, but then again, MUD members seem to avoid talking about the price of stuff.

I'm familiar with the whole "it's worth whatever someone will pay for it." But this isn't a Faberge Egg or a Da Vinci painting. Lots of these trade hands and I'm trying to get an idea of what's reasonable and what's insane.
Of course it’s sidetracked. What did you expect? It’s Friday and I’m dripping an IV of Whistle Pig.

I’d say go for it, unless you are @slow95z who has more axles than the Toyota factory or don’t really need them.

Be aware, every month you hold off, the price goes up a C-note.

So, IMHO that you're not asking for, $3k is not worth it for your particular rig.

The price has gone up as these are very strong full floating axles being swapped onto a number of different projects these days which are not FJ80s. Thus for most people these are an axle upgrade with lockers. You already have full floating axles on your 95 thus you're wasting your money.

You already have most of the advantages of FZJ80 axles, you're just missing the lockers. In my opinion, not worth it to be OEM. There are better electric lockers out there which are as good as OEM.

Additionally, you want to regear at the same time as adding lockers. Thus, buy aftermarket lockers and gears and get them set up by Zuk. He's a great guy and then they'll be very reliable.

curious about the worth too. going to sell my locked axles with rcv birfs and 529s once I get the one ton swap sorted out.

I got my set in 2018 for $1400 plus another $500 to go through them for a grand total of........ Wait for it.,...........$1900.02

I got my set in 2018 for $1400 plus another $500 to go through them for a grand total of........ Wait for it.,...........$1900.02
That sounds like a deal, I see these going for $4k around here.

3K and then i would budget another 500 just to rebuild the axles and fill with fluids and that doesnt cover the 1k if they dont lock or the time and money if the rear splines are bent and stuck and then you would need to wire them... factory lockers are meh to me.

while my built truck is factory locked i got it before i knew better. if i was doing it again i would have sold my factory lockers for way more than they are worth to someone that cant stand a OmG nOt TrIpLe LoCkEd truck and gone after market. the lunch box rear is great for 99% of people. if you need more get ARB/Eaton up front or if you ride in snow a lot then ARB/Eaton F/R.
OmG Is it triplelocked ??!!! I just bought a OE locker switch so when endless people ask about whether its triple locked or not I can just say "Yes". In reality it was $20 more than the dash blank I needed to replace(old one had a stupid rocker switch installed from a PO). Plus I think its funny. Mostly just a mall crawler anyway. will probably go the selectable Eaton/ARB route when I get around to finding a full floater rear.

It aint 2018 anymore.

$4K seems to be the going rate for a working set of axles with all the harness etc. of course all tested / working. Ymmv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom