price of new engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In shopping around for an 80 series cruiser I've noticed that if one has low mileage the price is increadably higher. The body and interrior on most of the units I've looked at is nearly always in very nice condition, even as far back as the early 90's models.
Seems like you could buy one with high mileage and drop a new engine in it for less than a low mileage one costs. What does one of those motors cost , even from Toyota?

I think it's about $3500...

A new factory long block is $12,034.57.

spartan said:
I think it's about $3500...

IIRC it is more than that,

Contact Dan he will know,

milage is not only about the engine though, all parts of the vehicle are affected by time and use.

EDIT:

cruiserdan said:
A new factory long block is $12,034.57.

ouch

RavenTai said:
milage is not only about the engine though, all parts of the vehicle are affected by time and use.

Sure, that's a given, but these ARE Toyota's and other than the tranny, I wouldn't be concerned about the drivetrain on a high mileage cruiser

Rebuilt is not "new".

Ok he said new - I missed that....

beno said:
How about some used ones:

Rather do rebuild--all new bearings etc.

Or, you could upgrade 2 a V8 2UZFE :cool:

gas mileage is bad enough on the 6's

Just because it's "high mileage", doesn't mean you need to replace the engine anytime soon, just take care of it and keep driving it :)

beno said:
How about some used ones:
Scroll down and you will see both 3FE and 1FZ engines for sale; $2500 get you a 1FZ with 65K.

Wow- that's only 5k mi. more than the typical used engine sold at a parts place. ;)

2tontoy said:
gas mileage is bad enough on the 6's

I believe the Toyota V8 actually get's a little better gas mileage than the I6, at least on the 100's they do.

Swap the V-8 from a lexus of the same era. I don't know the engine code. But, the LS400 had a very powerful V8 in it from the factory. Double the power of the cruiser I6.

You can pick up an ENTIRE LS400 for under $5k, use the engine and part the rest of it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom