Price for new rear window regulator gear >$300 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello Everyone,
While I can't personally speak to the performance of the material. The model supplier indicates he has not had any issues.
The material is not a pure PolyCarbonate but a special blend for 3D printing.
If your interested the material datasheets are linked at the bottom of the supplier page. Here: Prusament PC Blend Jet Black 1kg - Prusa Research - https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/prusament/1252-prusament-pc-blend-jet-black-1kg.html

I'd even go so far as to say that if the gear fails under normal conditions I'd be happy to replace it with the same again for free. Excluding shipping of course. If they do fail I might even be open to replacing them with nylon. I would ask that the original be returned or a discussion with photos etc. for study.
Interesting. Unfortunately they don't say what the polycarbonate is blended with in all their literature. Not that it really matters as long as it works; I was just curious.

We still need to know which shaft type is being printed. There are two that were used. Can you let us know? Thanks.

Not the greatest photo but here are the two types side by side.

3C82DF43-9A64-49DC-99A1-320D866907DA.jpeg

Polycarbonate is pretty tough but I would have been concerned with it chipping and/or cracking in a gear application. Lots of automotive lenses are made out of polycarbonate.

I guess left to my own ignorance I would choose something like this carbon reinforced nylon: NylonX Carbon Fiber Filament - 1.75mm (0.5kg) - https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament/nylonx-carbon-fiber-nylon-filament-1.75mm

Interesting. Unfortunately they don't say what the polycarbonate is blended with in all their literature. Not that it really matters as long as it works; I was just curious.

We still need to know which shaft type is being printed. There are two that were used. Can you let us know? Thanks.

Not the greatest photo but here are the two types side by side.

View attachment 2614579
Hello @WarDamnEagle,
Yeah I think likely its their secret recipe, but I like there stuff.
I always welcome constructive criticism and feedback, it s the best way to get something right. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Regarding the existing model it has the slot type hole.
If you need the other I could model that and print it for you. I'd just need accurate dimensions on the hole required to model it.
It would be good to know if there is any space to increase the diameter of the boss to reduce the changes of it slitting again like that (top gear).
The lower one could also be designed to suit the metal core if that's what you want.

Do you know what the difference is? I assume production year.

Hello @WarDamnEagle,

Do you know what the difference is? I assume production year.
The top one came out of my '77 but there is no way to tell if it was the original gear. My guess is that it was original but difficult to confirm. Toyota sold the replacement gears with the mating shaft so as long as you have the matching shaft the sets are interchangeable. I have managed to buy two NOS OEM gears with matching shafts and both were of the lower type in the photo.

My educated guess is they started with the top design and went to the bottom design at some point due to the failures. Not 100% certain that assumption is correct and I wouldn't begin to know when they changed over; again, assuming that theory is correct.

All of the files I've seen for the 3D printed gears are for the D shaft with the two flats.
I have one being printed now and will test it here later this month.
Excellent. What material are you trying?

just follow the link and chose the material of your choice ,,,, pa12 nylon is the oe , but i had a few made in steel as well

So, the nylon one is what the original gear was made from? I wasn't sure which was which. I have an old brass gear in now, but it's from solid brass and I'm guessing these are not.

jeffgoyer has one to install soon. my initial order got shipped to my old biz address and is now lost somewhere :oops: . that has eaten up a month of my time in testing . i since ,then have reorderd and will put one in my dailey driver . i am confident they are an exact copy . the design process is costley but only a one time thing. when these are tested i will run the second style . .. when they are tested i will open a new thread .... Bob pm me your address and i will send you one ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom