Price for a ‘66 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

I am potentially looking to restore a ‘66 FJ40 with the original engine (recently rebuilt, but i can’t recall the mileage). It is currently taken apart as a friend had been restoring it. It has the majority of the parts and a new roof (not installed), some minor rust issues, is missing a front fender, front/rear seats (would like to have the double bench jump seats in the back), and certainly a paint job. My friend has had it for at least 30-35yrs and has kept it in relatively good shape but has run out of steam restoring it.

The prices for FJ’s are kind of all over the map from what i can find and i want to give him a fair offer and make sure he gets a decent price for it. Any thoughts on what it is worth in this condition?

Thanks!

Hi all!

I am potentially looking to restore a ‘66 FJ40 with the original engine (recently rebuilt, but i can’t recall the mileage). It is currently taken apart as a friend had been restoring it. It has the majority of the parts and a new roof (not installed), some minor rust issues, is missing a front fender, front/rear seats (would like to have the double bench jump seats in the back), and certainly a paint job. My friend has had it for at least 30-35yrs and has kept it in relatively good shape but has run out of steam restoring it.

The prices for FJ’s are kind of all over the map from what i can find and i want to give him a fair offer and make sure he gets a decent price for it. Any thoughts on what it is worth in this condition?

Thanks!
Without pictures prob $3-$4k at the absolute most, depending on state of disassembly. You're buying his problems, you don't know if it runs or drives. Is there more value than that in parts alone? It is possible, but to find out you would have to spend the time to advertise and sell and pack and ship. You're time is worth something so how much profit would you want for your efforts on top of the purchase price? I know you're buying to restore, but you could spend $20k after the fact "restoring it" (or more if you pay someone to do everything). There was a MINT original '65 factory soft top that sold here recently for $22k. Think about how much work & money you want to put into this project when you can go buy one for low to mid 20's and be enjoying it when the snow melts. I'm not saying you can buy that same truck for same price now, but if you're patient and search, I'm sure one will present itself.

Last edited:
If it has a properly rebuilt F engine that is worth something. A fender and some seats are no big deal especially out in Colorado. 66 has Better metal and there is not much putting these back together. I am in WI and paid 5K for both my rigs. A 75 sbc that came out of Colorado running and driving, but needed a lot of work and just recently a 1970 all original not running. Working on them is part of the fun, but they are expensive. I need to put floor pans in the 70 and that is $500 for 3 pieces. The F engine has a broken exhaust valve so re doing the head which is $500. With it apart it’s going to be worth less unless he parts it out.

I sounds like your friend hasn't made much progress on the restoration side of things? Like has he just pulled it all apart and lost hope? Who rebuilt the engine? Can you document this rebuild process? That is worth $$. I'm not trying to dog on it, just going off the info we have. How's the drive train other than engine? Is it together? Has the frame been blasted and still completely disassembled or ?

Maybe not related, maybe it is, but what happened to the missing parts? Was this a complete truck at some point?

A couple pics will save you a lot of back and forth...and typing. But I would say that you have come to the right place and good on you for not ripping off your friend :).

Maybe you can tap into the knowledge base of a local Landcruiser club and get someone to go with you to give you an unbiased honest opinion on the value. And, although you didn't ask, for what it is worth, the economics of these vehicles make little sense. Many of us have "invested" way too much and would never recoup the insane amounts if we ever sold them.
Good luck.

Thanks everyone! A few more details, it runs well (he rebuilt the engine himself and sadly i don’t have pics at the moment but its about the cleanest looking engine i have seen on a non-professional rebuild) and the drive train is in good order. My buddy has thoroughly sand blasted it and base-coated it to keep it from rusting (there are a few minor spots that will need grinding and filling but nothing major from what I can see). The missing fender was totally rusted out and banged up and is still there, but is more or less worthless.

In terms of return, I have a ‘79 original 2F in Bolivia and it is pretty well tricked out and my daughter (7y) LOVES it and wants a blue one for her very own so in terms of time/what I want out of it, I want to be able to pass it on to her (and drive it until she’s ready of course).

Based on the comments and considering the work involved, reckon about $4-5k would be a more than fair price for it.

Thanks!

The engine alone if you had a shop rebuild it would be in in the 3-4 grand range. Mechanics charge about 100 bucks an hour and than some around here. If it was just put together and ran it would be an easy 6-9 grand or possibly more. If you had pics, an actual list of parts that come and missing, and documentation of what was done and would help immensely. I say this because parts are high and can be hard to locate. The price would come down a lot if more parts are missing or not usable. I always recommend if buy a cruiser try to get complete. But in case look like most parts are there. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom